FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cipaille aka Sea Pie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kettleman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28 13 10:45 pm    Post subject: Cipaille aka Sea Pie Reply with quote

“Cipaille” aka Sea Pie is an old French recipe dating back to the 1800’s served at sea. This is the ultimate in meat pie comfort food. In Quebec and regions of Ontario it is most often served at large picnics and church socials.
For this recipe a 7 qt. Dutch oven is ideal. Use wild game if you have it and at least three meats including fowl/poultry. I did not have game and so I used beef, pork and turkey. This recipe will feed 12-15 people. You can increase or reduce the recipe easily.
2lb of lean beef, (stewing beef is fine)
2lb of lean pork, (I used a tenderloin)
2lb of poultry (I used boneless turkey breast)
1/4 lb. salt pork, thinly sliced
2 large cooking onions
4 stalks of celery
1 cup of stock
Salt and Pepper to taste ( I used 1 tsp. of seasoning salt and ½ tsp. fresh ground pepper)
For the pie crust you need a little more than a double pie crust recipe as adjusted below
Cut meat into 1 inch cubes and place in a large bowl. Season to your liking but salt and pepper is all you need. Combine, with onions and celery, cover and refrigerate overnight or at least 12 hours.
Make pie crust. Combine 4 cups flour, 2 tbsp. baking powder, 1/2 cup lard, 2 eggs mixed with 2 cups of milk; mix thoroughly.
Arrange salt pork evenly in the bottom of your D/O and layer with 1/3 of the meat mixture.

Roll out 1/3 of the pastry slightly thicker than for a normal pie crust and arrange, cutting a small hole in the center. Repeat with another layer of meat and pie crust.

Cover with remaining meat and pastry, cutting a small hole in the center. Slowly add enough stock through the hole until liquid appears filling the D/O.

Cover and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 45 minutes or until liquid simmers. Reduce temperature to 250 and bake, covered, for about 5 more hours or until the top crust is a rich golden colour.

Enjoy.
18.5 WSM, mods & custom smoke rack.
Maverick 732
Thermapen
MacEggs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29 13 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, that looks outstanding!! I need a bigger DO.

Thanks for sharing.

The cookers (so far).
Some Weber kettles of various age, color and size
UDS & Mini UDS
Abby Normal ECB
Napoleon Propane Grill
Kettleman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29 13 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacEggs wrote:
Oh man, that looks outstanding!! I need a bigger DO.

Thanks for sharing.

Your welcome. The recipe is outstanding and simple too.

Got 9 qt. Lodge up here used once. Too big for us so I bought the 7.
18.5 WSM, mods & custom smoke rack.
Maverick 732
Thermapen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: