FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pulled pork first time! WSM 22.5
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smokergreg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26 13 3:08 am    Post subject: Pulled pork first time! WSM 22.5 Reply with quote

Its now been a few weeks that ive had my 22.5WSM. Love it more than anything else, i need to get that gasket set though it just leaks more than i would say is acceptable. I know some say it seals up better when you get some seasoning but i dont think it will help that much. Plus i cant stand having "gunk" line my smoker right now so she gets a cleaning once in awhile.

So this isnt the first attempt at pulled pork. I tried once before with a small pork shoulder roast, left too much fat and didnt cook it long enough. Tasted outstanding but you could tell it was too fatty. So after looking around for boston butt's at the big chain stores like wal-mart, safeway,sobeys and finding out none of them carry anything like that, or even a brisket!. So i went to a local butcher that has two stores in the city and good reviews(name/link at the bottom). They had three butts, all within a pound of eachother so ill be going back there if i ever need to cook multiple. Grabbed the middle one as it looked perfect at $44 for 6.6lbs.

Filled the bottom of the WSM with Wicked Good charcoal and started the full chimney with royal oak(blue) lump and a bit more lump that was placed ontop. Smoking with 70% cherry/30% apple. Full waterpan.

^Price. I feel like i paid a lot for it.
I forgot to take pictures before i removed the skin/fat.

^skin/fat removed. Ive done this a few times to meat before but i think i left a bit too much fat on. Trial and error i guess.

^Flipped over. Looks delicious to me.
http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w586/Macgregor_Bradford/IMG_0315_zpsa59e4e90.jpg
Seen a few people "cube" their meat to get more bark if i understand it right. Tried it out but did i go too deep?

Rubbed down in mustard/hot spice coffee rub with 5spice in it, man does it coffee/5-spice do wonders on pork.

^On the WSM with some boneless/skinless chicken theigh. The chicken has a mayo/mustard sauce with fresh herbs and some no salt added nacho cheese spice mix.

Put it on 30mins ago at 220, its now climbed to 235 and once it hit 250 ill be keeping it around that mark. Ill update as the day goes on with pictures.

Will have corn, coleslaw and fresh buttertop tray buns, smoked gherkin pickles (recipe on these forums).

Here is the link to http://www.secondtononemeats.com/

Last edited by Smokergreg on Mon Jul 15 13 7:53 am; edited 3 times in total
Smokergreg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26 13 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm photos wont come up as pics.
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26 13 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the same thing you did but just click the direct link to the right of your photos on photobucket and then use the [img] tags.

Last edited by lantern on Sat Jul 13 13 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Smokergreg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27 13 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Smile All fixed now

After 11hours it was finished. It stalled at 180 what i think was 2 hours and i was running at 230 with almost no charcoal left so i threw enough in unlit to last it a few more hours, once it hit 185 i started mopping it down with my sauce and put on one chunk of cherry to help the sauce flavor blend in with the meat. Flipped it at 189 and mopped the other side with some sauce. The coals were down to nothing and i was tired so i figured i would wrap it and reheat the next morning. Pleasantly surprised when i got inside and the bone pulled out clean without effort. Camera ended up falling off the deepfreezer and broke. So time to save up and get a much better one.

I would give my final mark of it as a 7/10. Great deep smoked bark. Flavour was 10/10 but it just had something in the texture that i know could of been better. i think i left too much fat on the back so next time ill trim it up better. The price was worth it though(for a small family meal), it was a very square cut of pork so i didnt have one side get dry and burnt and have another wet and raw.

^Chicken was a bit overcooked but was very juicy with a hot nacho-y flavor, gotta love that waterpan.

^Hunk of meat i tore off to test for safety.Bad camera focus.
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12 13 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lookin' pork !!!!

One other way you can approach the flavoring thing might be to go ahead & do your saucing like you did, then wrap for an hour or so in foil to let the internal juices settle in, then after it's pulled, spritz or lightly splash with some more sauce, thinned down with cider vinegar or apple juice.....
That way the flavoring gets mixed all thru &also helps keep the moisture up a bit better.....

Your cuts thru the fatcap are fine....I cut about like that, thru the 1st fat, the thin layer of meat & the 2nd layer of fat, then work the rub all down in & around & it adds just that much more surface area.....
I also don't trim anything at all, just leave every bit of fat on there 'cause that's where a lot of the flavoring comes from..............some people do trim down the outstde & that's OK too....there's plenty inside the hunk to get it right.....just make sure it cooks long enough, looks like ya got the hang of that part already !!!!

To me, the most important part has become the resting period.......really helps the finished product tight double foil, then old clean towel, then in the dry cooler min. an hour, two is better.....IMHO....this really helps also with finishing the"melting down" of the last of the fat.............. Very Happy
It's gonna say on my tombstone: Died of thick, heavy sauces ~~~~>K
" The Creepy Guy Down the Street With All The Webers"
DrunkPlumber
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13 13 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^EXACTLY what he said X2!

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

There is no such thing as too much onion.

I'm NOT liar #94. I swear!
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13 13 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please read PMPNLT650pxOTLS!

I still work here!
thsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13 13 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking piece of meat and tasty looking result. I leave the fat cap on during the cook and it comes off pretty clean when its done. Put fat cap down since my cooker heats from below.

What did you not like for texture? What temp did you pull it off? I like to wrap it, put in a cooler when its done and let it rest for a few hours to cool before pulling/chopping and saucing.
Smokergreg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15 13 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One other way you can approach the flavoring thing might be to go ahead & do your saucing like you did, then wrap for an hour or so in foil to let the internal juices settle in

That was the biggest problem i agree. Next time ill do a hour+ rest.

Quote:
I also don't trim anything at all, just leave every bit of fat on there 'cause that's where a lot of the flavoring comes from.

How does your bark come out with the fat cap on?
When i can find two butts for a reasonable price i will do a side by side. Ive also been thinking have the fat on that side would make the meat near it cook slower.

Quote:

What did you not like for texture?

If i remember right it had a really fat like texture. Normally i wouldnt mind it but i am aiming to get it to the level where i can feed some more people and be afraid of turning them off my smoked meats.

Quote:
Please read PMPNLT650pxOTLS!

Hope i got it all fixed now.

---------------------------------------------
Have been using the lower charcoal part of the WSM with grate with a chimney full of charcoal and one cooking grate above it to do steaks/chops, Works great!. Also tried making my first ABT. Im depressed i cant eat those daily.

Also have my mothers birthday at the end of the month that she wants a sampling bbq dinner. a smaller brisket, 2-4 racks of ribs, another 6-7lb pulled pork, Possibly a chicken and some ABT's, Plus a handfull of sides. Should be max of 10people.
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15 13 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I cook one of these all the way thru 'till the bone will slide free, easily.....then I wrap in double thickness foil, tightly, then bundled in an old, clean towel, then into a small area dry cooler.....AT LEAST two hours, or more & there usually isn't very much fat left on it.....the fat cap will have disintegrated during the hold time, or at least most all of the rest of it.....

Some people like real crispy bark.....you won't get real crunchy stuff doing it like this, as the moisture permeates all thru the meat AND the bark & will soften the bark.....

If I get it completely disintegrated, which is almost always nowadays, I shread up with bear claws or big forks, all of it, everything gets mixed in except the bone, maybe a few small tough or fatty pieces are unacceptable,,,,,,,the fat has done it's job & there just ain't much visible stuff left for anybody to whine about.......

Here's one just going into the foil to hold.....you can see there's fat there, up against the bark in the foreground, but after this sits for awhile that will have disintegrated tenderizing & flavoring the meat & bark all around it......

" Ive also been thinking have the fat on that side would make the meat near it cook slower."

the 'stall' time, where the temprature sits still @ around 165 for a time, is the start of any uneveness in cooking beginning to level out.....that rest period helps immensely, also.....can't really get things like this cooked up too uneven, unless a part of it is right over hot coals for a long time......if it's cooked all the way thru 'till done, your statement above becomes a non-issue....it's good you're questioning how things work, but just by doing, some stuff becomes appearent..... Very Happy
Smokergreg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16 13 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1Buckie, The texture on that beautiful hunk of meat is what i am aiming for (taking your word the fat melts down more with a rest), So i think i will definitely be trying one with the fat cap left on.

Did you smoke it with any wood? or just charcoal? i like the look of that as something for a first timer to try.
I personally love the flavor of some heavily smoked cherry and apple with a sweeter sauce but i know others dont so i would love to aim for something like that.
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16 13 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that was done with oak chunks, possibly oak + apple......
Big Ron's In the House, applied to damp piece, no mustard or other stuff, just lite rinse, crown fatcap, apply rub & cook.......no sauce / spritz while cooking..........

Part of this cookup.....

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63024&highlight=pork

A lot like this setup...............

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62614&highlight=pork

Pork fixup........

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57973&highlight=pork

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56426&highlight=pork

I go for a reasonably heavier smoked flavor, my mother & the wife are usually about the only complainers.....
I just tell 'em to boil some hotdogs for their lunch...... Cool
DrunkPlumber
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16 13 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1buckie wrote:

I go for a reasonably heavier smoked flavor, my mother & the wife are usually about the only complainers.....
I just tell 'em to boil some hotdogs for their lunch...... Cool

^^^^^LOL! Or, some ribs. Wink

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

There is no such thing as too much onion.

I'm NOT liar #94. I swear!
thsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16 13 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any picts while pulling it? Usually the fat has rendered down enough that I just take the excess out while pulling. Or are you referring to fat in the bark?
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17 13 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Or are you referring to fat in the bark?"

All of it will disintegrate after a time holding............

Yeah, this one has pull pics....

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56426&highlight=pork

You can see there's not much in the way of waste......I'll just pull out a few hard bits that might get a bit overdone at the outer edge or if there's a little fat that seems not done enough, mostly all good stuff, tho.......

Again, you won't get REALLY crispy bark wrapping for a long time like this, so if that's what you & yours like then maybe wrap & rest, then set it back on for a short time to get crispy......
Smokergreg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17 13 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links buckie. Funnily enough i have browsed through atleast 3 of your threads you posted before i joined. Those scrumdiddlyumptious pork butts you have made on your webers (if i remember right you have a fleet of them) was one of the things that kick started my addiction i have to smokers.

browsing one of the ones i havnt read was where you are cooking beans as well as zuccini and asparagus is now the sides to tonight's smoked jambalaya. Couldnt see any recipies for it, what did you coated them with? I want to guess a herbed flour dust with mustard and buttermilk wash. What was your temp?

Smoking some walmart sweet+mild and hot Italian sausage including some breakfast sausages to lunch on with beans below in a ceramic dish and half the water pan full. Royal oak blue lump with some apple, i dont like the royal oak lump but my bbq shop has a frequent charcoal buyers card and after 10 you get 2 for free (maybe its 1) so ill be stockpiling some wicked good soon. Trying to keep temps between 200-230 so they get that perfect cooked down texture for jambalaya. Our downstairs neighbor is going to get a nice surprise of all of this plus corn bread for his dinner.

I think today i have the smoke down good, its a light blue that you can only see when you are within a few feet of it. I love the flavour of the smoke so far but i got a complaint on the ribs that they had a bitter smoke taste and they were right.

Quote:
Do you have any picts while pulling it? Usually the fat has rendered down enough that I just take the excess out while pulling

I was just thinking of the same question for buckie.
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17 13 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some pulled pics, see the answer just above your last post.....it was one of the previous ones......doesn't tell the tale exactly, but shows pulling them apart & the pans of shreaded stuff.......

The zuccini & aparagus usually get either vidalia sweet onion vinegarette marinade or, lately, jalepeno ranch dressing.....just float the pieces for a short time & throw them on......oh & granulated garlic powder.......grill 1 side @ ~300 & flip & pour a smattering of marinade on side two so it gets a chance to kinda cook in......I'm just a bottled sauce gherkin.....the people I cook for mostly wouldn't want to wait around for fancy dusting & washes & stuff....just git-er-done...... Very Happy

Not quite halfway down in this deal about Deep Fried Tater Salad is a pic of both those sauces.....

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58946

glad I could sorta be some kind of inspiration to getcha goin'.....fun, huh?
Smokergreg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18 13 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The zuccini & aparagus usually get either vidalia sweet onion vinegarette marinade or, lately, jalepeno ranch dressing.....just float the pieces for a short time & throw them on......oh & granulated garlic powder.......grill 1 side @ ~300 & flip & pour a smattering of marinade on side two so it gets a chance to kinda cook in

GF hates cooked zucchini texture but i think the Vinaigrette and jalapeno ranch (Shes a ranch-aholic) would make her give them a second try. Ill try a few with panko crumbs to see if they give a nice crispy outside.
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18 13 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd get the biggest ones you can find & slab them thick...like 1/4"~3/8" or more & don't overdo them.....usually people get kinda picky when they get too mushy.........

The jalepeno ranch is fabulous on this stuff....extra good !!!
there's rarely any left when I do these for a group, unless ABT's are done at the same time, then a 'shift' in attention may occur...... Very Happy

Way down low in the Tater Salad link, I made a post that contains a "LINK" that has good fix-ups for the ranch, if you can't find it in stores around you.....
Sailor Kenshin
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19 13 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is some gooooood-lookin' pig.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: