FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brisket help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smoke Point

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21 13 11:15 pm    Post subject: Brisket help Reply with quote

My parents asked if I could smoke a brisket for them. Of course I said I would. Well, they call and say they have a nice 17.6 lb brisket for me to do on Saturday.

I've only done 8 to 10 lb in the past. I usually just do a salt and pepper rub and smoke it on the uds @ about 250 till it's done (8-12 hours)

I have a stick burner and the uds.

Questions:

How long will this take? (I know- as long as it takes, but I need to plan)

Would cutting it in half help or hurt?

Do I need to worry about it drying out?

Any other advice?

Thanks for the help and all the advice you guys have given in the past.

Ben
sparks58
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21 13 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokePoint, the biggest brisket I've done was 13lb. and that took a little over 10 hr at 240°. I put that one on at 10:30 at night and it was done at 10:30/11:00 AM. One way to speed things up is to wrap it in foil with a cup of beef broth(brazing). Some people thinks that's cheating, but I think, if it speeds up your cook...What the He**, unless you like sitting in front of your cooker all day.
I don't think I'd do an over nighter again. If it's 10/11 hr just get up real early.
OKBBQEA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21 13 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cook it at a higher temp. Lots of guys doing that at the competitive level and winning money.

If it works for them it should work in your backyard and I promise you the BBQ police won't storm your backyard and confiscate your brisket for breaking the "low & slow" rule of BBQ.
14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain x2
22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
R&O Smokers Fat Girl
Ludicrous Speed Red Thermapen
Smoke Point

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22 13 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been coming to realize that there is no one "Right" way to bbq - however there are many wrong ways (Crockpot, boiling, etc). I was talking to a guy recently who said the only way to bbq is to run at 200 degrees. I'd never be able to keep either of my pits running that low consistently. I think it was the bear who said, find your pits sweet spot and work with it.

Depending on vents and how much I light to start, I can keep the UDS running at 250, 275 or 300 pretty steady.

My folks said there is not a lot of fat on the outside of this brisket. Should I worry about drying it out? If so, at what point would you wrap it? Would you unwrap it for the last stretch to set the bark?

Thanks,
Ben
Rocko-la
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22 13 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only is there no one way to cook a brisket, no two briskets cook the same.

I cook at 230º in my BGE, don't really keep track of time, but I schedule at least 12hrs as it's usually done before that. When it gets to around 190º internal, I start giving it the poke test till I figure it's time to pull it. Most importantly, don't skip the rest. Let it rest for a while (an hour or 2 in a cooler is fine) before you slice it.
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22 13 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a bunch of info without too much in between comment, to maybe answer some heat, setup & finishing questions......not too long of a read, but the people here know what they're doing, so it's tight, distilled down info.....me, I'm a Cub scout on this.....let the big dawgs speak..... Very Happy

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60297&highlight=brisket
It's gonna say on my tombstone: Died of thick, heavy sauces ~~~~>K
" The Creepy Guy Down the Street With All The Webers"
js-tx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22 13 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree cook higher, 275-300*. If the brisket is a little lean like it sounds, you can wrap in foil when the bark has been set, before it gets too dark and starts to dry up. I would also unfoil it for the last hour so the bark can firm back up. Resist the urge to add liquids in the foil, otherwise you can get that braised pot roast taste. Pull it when it probes tender and allow for a good rest/internal temp drops below 160*.
BluDawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22 13 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cook all my Briskets the same way and they are ready to eat in 8 hrs biggest to date was 18 lb.
I cook at 300 on the grate for 4 hrs,( on the UDS I go Fat cap down) after 4 hrs I wrap tight in a single layer of butcher paper and go back on the pit Fat cap up at 300. Sometime between 1-2 hrs it will go Probe tender in the thickest part of the Flat ( if the thickest part of the Flat is probe tender the rest will be purrfect).
Remove from the pit leave it wrapped put it on a Sheet pan and put a thermo in the middle of the packer and leave it to rest on the counter top. Once the temp drops into the 150's ( about 2 hrs) it will be ready to slice.
Webber 22 OTS
Memorial UDS "Big Jim"
OKBBQEA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22 13 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluDawg wrote:

Remove from the pit leave it wrapped put it on a Sheet pan and put a thermo in the middle of the packer and leave it to rest on the counter top. Once the temp drops into the 150's ( about 2 hrs) it will be ready to slice.

You have way more patience than I have. My brisket has usually been devoured in less than two hours after I take it off the smoker. Wink
14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain x2
22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
R&O Smokers Fat Girl
Ludicrous Speed Red Thermapen
texbbqpits
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22 13 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've Ibeen cooking briskets right at 50 years and am very much old school. That means low an slow which would put your 17 lber at about 20-24 hours at 210 - 230 with 220 being most of the time. Mustard slather with plenty of yellow mustard and a rub without much sugar in it and it will still be moist. I don't foil unless I've got to hold it for a while before serving. If I'm going to hold it, I'll pull at 185 if it sticks tender with the temp probe and wrap and put in cooler until time to serve. If I'm not going to hold it very long, I pull it at 190 assuming it sticks tender, let rest on cutting board for at least 30 minutes before slicing. If it sticks tough, cook another 5 degrees. Good luck, that's a big brisket. Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: