FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

single best cookbook?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Briney Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20 13 10:36 am    Post subject: single best cookbook? Reply with quote

I was lucky to have a couple of pals over for some ribs this evening. I over smoked them a bit. I am more than solid on pulled pork but ribs are always a bit of a crap shoot

anyway we got to talking about bbq cook books and places we have been to etc. as the conversation meandered around it seemed to come back to the same book over and over. The Dinosaur bbq book by John Sage is a house favorite. its not a pure bbq book but man there are some great eats to be had among those pages

so lets hear your all time favorite book and why
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20 13 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mastering the art of french cooking- julia rules

The Joy of cooking- just about the greatest book ever

The new best recipe- if you have friends that can't boil water buy them this book NOW!

Peace love and BBQ- Mike mills nailed it

Smoke and spice- hard to keep outta the smoker with this book

And I apologize for not naming one, but it was hard enough narrowing it down to those!

Those are my faves but you have no idea how many bbq cookbooks and bbq books in general I have. Laughing
capitalism
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20 13 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cook's Illustrated Cookbook/Magazine. Hands down.

The detail and science behind the recipes taught me how to cook rather than what to add at point A, B and C.

Similar experiences with Alton Brown and Meathead from Amazing Ribs.

Cheers,
Cap
Alexb.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21 16 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capitalism wrote:
The Cook's Illustrated Cookbook/Magazine. Hands down.

The detail and science behind the recipes taught me how to cook rather than what to add at point A, B and C.

Similar experiences with Alton Brown and Meathead from Amazing Ribs.

Cheers,
Cap

was just about to ask what any one thought about that "amazingribs.com" web site.
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22 16 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a complete newbie, The Joy of Cooking should be your bible on the subject.

Once you've mastered the fundamentals, The Best New Recipe from America's Test Kitchen should be next on your list. If you want what amounts to an updated Betty Crocker-style cookbook of old home recipes, The Complete Cook's Country Cookbook from ATK is the right choice for you. I have a couple of hundred cookbooks on my kitchen shelf (yes, I have an entire bookshelf--a big one--in my kitchen devoted to cookbooks and magazines) and I still fall back on those three for about most of my non-grilling/smoking recipes for inspiration (other than baking, of which Baking Illustrated from ATK is king), I rarely follow a recipe from a book. That's the fun of it.

If you do it long enough, you can pair spices and dishes because you know how they will taste, if nothing more than by the smell. It becomes almost like an instinct. That's when you know you are a true cook. Chef's don't have to do their own dishes. Finally, my oldest daughter is showing an interest in learning to cook. I don't know if she's doing it for a love of cooking or just to spend more time with her old man, but either way it's a positive and I do not mind in the least.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookbooks All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: