FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4xAggie 138 gal Pit Construction (4-17-16)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim38344
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23 14 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That project is really coming along beautifully. I really enjoy the blow-by-blow reports...........

1/32" huh?

My tape has nothing smaller than 1/8"--sometimes I have trouble getting closer than 1/4". Shocked
4xAggie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16 14 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All-

I apologize for not getting an update out in a while. I got really busy with teaching some classes for preparing guys for the professional engineering exam, and I just lacked time to (more importantly) keep working and provide updates.

I was able to get some stuff done here and there, and I managed to make it out the past couple weekends. I'll try to update it all in due time.

First, I'll eat a bit of crow on the trailer setup. Jim, when I said 1/32", I really meant 1/16". In either event, it doesn't matter, because the trailer got off square by the time I got it welded from the last update. Embarassed Mad

I attempted to get it back, but ultimately realized that it was futile (the welding and double C Channel were solid). I was lucky however in that both side rails remained evenly spaced--just the front and back were off by about a 1/4". Basically, the frame made a parallelogram. With this in mind, I found "square" by marking lines on the front and back C channels that represented square. These lines became the basis of square for the trailer, and everything worked out well from there.

You can sort-of see the lines in the picture below: see 1) a piece of strap clamped to the frame at the back of the trailer and 2) a faint white line in the far right corner of the frame in the picture below. I know this isn't ideal, but it was the only real solution short of redoing everything (and buying new material). Save for the small 1/4" difference on the front and back frames, nobody is going to know it without me telling them. I managed to correct it for setting the tongue and axle--those things are square as can be (I measured, measured, and measured after that mistake).

Anyway, now that I've eaten crow and (hopefully) found a resolution to the problems, we can talk about the progress made.

Here's a picture of the tongue setup:

Here it is welded in place:

I used my reference lines and the additional cross supports (added based on the actual square from the square lines I found) to find the square for the tongue. Basically, I marked a spot at the middle of the ball and pulled measurements from there.

I then got started on setting up the axle. Here is the axle set on the trailer with the front hangars clamped and the back hangers set as appropriate.

After checking these, I tacked in place, pulled off the axle, measured again and again, and welded up the hangers.

Then I put the axle in, mounted the tires, and flipped it over with the help of my parents and the front end loader.

Here she is all cleaned up:

After finally making it back up (it was almost 2 months from the last picture) I took here for a test drive, and she pulled straight.

I did a few other things like welding out the gaps (and grinding) between my doubled C Channel, and finished welding out corners and around the cross supports.

Then we got the jack and its frame mounted. I positioned the jack so I wouldn't hit my hand with the tailgate down, and I used a tongue arrangement similar to TrailerBuilder's.

I'll have more photos later in the week. I'm trying to get this thing cooking by Memorial Day weekend.
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17 14 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to see your making head way Very Happy But you better hurry not many sunrises left to the finish line Wink
BurnBern
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26 16 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting build any updates with pics
4xAggie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30 16 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurnBern-

I'm impressed you found this as I know it has been a long time since I updated.

I'll see if I can't get some photos uploaded soon. Status update is that I did just enough to get the thing cooking, but am still working on the final product. My progress got to be real slow once I could use it to make food--and my job responsibilities exploded.

Give me a week or so to brush up. There are some pretty cool updates to give.
BurnBern
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30 16 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 4xAggie I was scouring the pages looking for a solution for an issue with my firebox door and to see how everyone fixed their doors to the FB. I came across your build and was very intrigued in your build. Keep up the good work and well done so far.

Looking forward to the progress update
4xAggie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18 16 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok all, sorry for the delay. I've recently realized my work has completely blocked Photobucket, so it's been difficult to upload photos. I'll probably need to stretch progress out over a few posts, but I'll try to get plenty of detail in again.

Note: I got this pit cooking in May 2014 (2 years ago). I had a big push to get it cooking, but since then, progress has been very slow because 1) the thing can cook so there's less anticipation, and 2) my work has gotten to be a killer time sink.

Looks like at last post, I had shown the trailer. Next step was getting the pit onto the trailer. I used the trusty front end loader.

Mock up of the pit on the trailer (note, the box shown is for representation -- I'll ultimately do something custom.

Welded down:

Then I got to working on the inside. Setting the slide rails (used 4" C channel, angle, and some welding to get things set):

Rail finish:

Slide grates:

Coped corners:

In the pit:

Setting the anti-tip tabs:

Waring box opening (note: photos are a bit out of order--I set the opening before putting in the rails).

4xAggie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18 16 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next Step was the smokestacks. Smokestacks are an interesting story for me, because this pit ultimately will reside in my suburban garage. Luckily, I had the foresight to realize that I better not make the smokestack too tall for the pit to fit inside. The problem was that would mean I needed a large stack cross sectional area, or I'd need to make a removeable smokestack.

I originally bought a 6" square tube to make a shorter stack, but after some contemplation, I decided I didn't like that idea. The 6" was too big, and I decided a 5" SCH 40 pipe would look better -- but to do so, I needed to make the stacks removeable. Luckily, my 6" square tube proved very handy. I used it to make an easier cook chamber to stack conversion, and the tubing proved a perfect point for the transition on the removeable stack. A made a transition piece out of the 6" tube that directly welded to the cooking chamber, and then connected to another 1" segment of the 6" tube. On top of this, a 1/4" plate connected the 1" square tube to the 5" pipe.

Step 1 was the transition piece.

This fit inside the above piece as a lock mechanism to the 2nd 1" segment.

Locking tab for upper/lower section:

Marked out hole for the stack:

Welded in place:

Stacks added:

Grease Drain:

Stay TUNED! Additional photos of the door placements, firebox door, first burn, first drive, and first cook are uploaded, but I'll need some more time to post them here.

Again, sorry for the delay, but those were some hectic times for me, and the Photobuck/650 pixel deal is a deterrent from uploading.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19 16 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a crazy man!!! Very Happy Excellent job on those fitted exhaust ports.
-olllllllo-
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19 16 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome work.

glad this came up on recent posts.

love the solution for removable stacks, real clean lookin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: