FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wood chunks catching fire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TulareJohn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01 13 6:59 am    Post subject: Wood chunks catching fire Reply with quote

I dont know if this has ever been discussed; no, not the catching fire of the wood chunks, but how to stop it... after fighting this for months, in my SFB smoker, trying everything I could read on, etc., I finally found the best way sofar as to stop it......using an old 8 inch Dutch Oven..... I use Kingsford Competition briquets for my fire, and use the Minon method inside an expanded metal box, laying the chunks ontop. Well in no time they would catch fire and therefore of no use except to increase the heat in the SFB.. Remembering I use an old cast iron skillet for my wood chunks in my vertical smoker, above the propane flame, and wondered if this would also work for the charcoal. I happen to have an old Dutch Oven laying around, so I sat it right ontop of the charcoal and then put in a few chunks. Waa-Laa, smoke and no flame; easy to replenish with fresh chunks too. Again, this is probably nothing new, but thought I could pass it along.

Brinkmann Trailmaster offset
Masterbuilt dual fuel vertical
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01 13 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused. Most of us want an open flame in our fireboxes. Open flame means a clean hot fire without smouldering wood. We want our smoke as thin as possible--ideally no smoke evident at all.
BluDawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01 13 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigOrson wrote:
I'm confused. Most of us want an open flame in our fireboxes. Open flame means a clean hot fire without smouldering wood. We want our smoke as thin as possible--ideally no smoke evident at all.
Amen!!
Webber 22 OTS
Memorial UDS "Big Jim"
ICDEDTURKES
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01 13 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the option of going to all wood do it.. Even in my CharGriller Smokin Pro, the switch to all wood simplified everything over charcoal and chunks.

Basically a small split every 45 minutes, clean blue smoke and way less temp fluctuation..
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02 13 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a subject that is ignored a lot. Some soak chunks, chips so they will " smoke" longer. JMHO but they do not smoke they smolder. There is a big diff. between burning wood & smoldering ( spell chk ) wood. I use a couple offsets, WSM, & a uds. they all cook different, & the finished product tastes different. Try lighting a sliver of your fav. wood & smelling it, then hold a flame to a soaked pc of the same wood. If you can't smell the difference then eat at Sonny's or geta crockpot recipe book.... again JMHO
BluDawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02 13 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
If you have the option of going to all wood do it.. Even in my CharGriller Smokin Pro, the switch to all wood simplified everything over charcoal and chunks.

Basically a small split every 45 minutes, clean blue smoke and way less temp fluctuation..

Exactamundo!!

Webber 22 OTS
Memorial UDS "Big Jim"
Tim_Abrahamson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02 13 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluDawg wrote:
BigOrson wrote:
Amen!!

Amen twice!!

Pssst... I have a secret to tell ya...

(whisper)

-----Even when you don't see a single wisp of smoke from your cooker, and you are using wood, you are still smoking!

-----Yes its true! In fact, it is a better tasting smoke flavor than the soot and creasoat laden filth that is found in thick grey smoke.

-----Gasp...I know...right?

(end whisper)

Just mess'n with ya using the truth...(wink)

Oklahoma Joe Longhorn
Big Green Egg
Former Pitmaster Gates and Sons BBQ (KC)
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02 13 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Wood chunks catching fire Reply with quote

^^^^ What they said ^^^^
TulareJohn wrote:
in no time they would catch fire and therefore of no use except to increase the heat in the SFB

Ya need to do some more reading about and practicing your que. You don't want thick, heavy, smoldering smoke.
I have a Trailmaster as well and I can't use the 'minion method' with it. Just too much chamber volume to get up to 225-250 with a few briquettes. I usually use at least a pound of lump per hour. Could be where you live, though (higher outside temps). Do you have a cheapo grate therm to check temps?

Not trying to bust yer nuts, just be helpful Laughing
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
S Roche

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03 13 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a new guy jumping in so be gentle if you don't agree. One of my pits is an old barrel pit that runs on propane. How I do the smoke is to put the chunks in an aluminum bread pan, cover tightly with foil and poke 1 pencil sized hole in the foil. Not enough air gets in to flame up just a small amount of smoke for about 1 1/2 hrs.
Tim_Abrahamson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03 13 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For propane cookers (including gas grills) the foil pouch method works very well. I have used that myself many times when I owned a gasser. Even then I dont soak the chips... for a long cook I may make 3 or 4 pouches to replace the used up ones.

Oklahoma Joe Longhorn
Big Green Egg
Former Pitmaster Gates and Sons BBQ (KC)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: