FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Needs Advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tearlesswyvern

PostPosted: Fri May 31 13 7:34 am    Post subject: Newbie Needs Advice Reply with quote

Hey everyone. As the title hinted, I'm new. I have an old Brinkmann barrel smoker, and not much else. I'm also capable of making sauces and rubs. So, where should I start? I smoked salmon and chicken today, and I want to take it up a notch. Any recipes, suggestions, tips, and advice would be more than appreciated! Help me out folks Smile

-TW
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 31 13 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tearlesswyvern, welcome. Very Happy
I'd suggest figuring out what you want to eat and cook that. Wink
If it's ribs, pulled pork, brisket, or anything else, there are many different ways to smoke anything, it's easier to suggest a way to cook something if you have a idea what you want to "take it up".
Whatever you make, start basic and fine tune things until you get what your looking for. Cool
tearlesswyvern

PostPosted: Fri May 31 13 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well when I go out for barbecue, nothing tastes better than a well cooked brisket. Is this hard to do? What type of flavor best accompanies it? Tangy? Sour? Sweet? Spicy?
I also LOVE jerky. Any jerky. Beef, venison, hell I've even had squirrel jerky! How hard is that to make?
Got a good recipe, or should I browse the "Recipe's" forum? And finally, any wisdom you can share?

Thanks a bunch!
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 31 13 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tearlesswyvern, brisket is not the easiest cook. If your just getting used to your cooker, you may wanna start with pork butts or shouder, they are pretty forgiving.

Jerky is also not too hard, check the cured meat section, there is some great info there. Very Happy

The only "wisdom" I have is learn how to run your cooker, try different things, and most important....have fun!
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri May 31 13 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard tearlesswyvern.
Like George said, "learn your smoker"
Get yourself a good thermometer for measuring grate level temps. A good instant read meat thermometer is a must have also.
Briskets are a pain on occasion. You just never know.
Stick with more forgiving and cheaper cuts of meat. Pork butt or ribs, before you go spending $50 on a brisket.
Jerkey and snack sticks are a whole lot of fun to make. Once you gain the knowlege and control of your smoker, you can cook just about anything on it.
Good luck and take plenty of pics. Take notes too, that way you know what you did right and what not to do next time.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
tearlesswyvern

PostPosted: Fri May 31 13 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch fellas! I'll be sure to get a thermometer and start getting used to the smoker.

Cheers!
-TW
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Smoked Foods All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: