FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just ordered the Prophets of Smoked Meat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Briney Dave

PostPosted: Sat May 04 13 1:42 am    Post subject: Just ordered the Prophets of Smoked Meat Reply with quote

The Prophets of Smoked Meat: A Journey Through Texas Barbecue

due out on the 15th.

Looked as if it is worth taking a look at. I love what I cook, but get into a rut once in a while. A good book can inspire if nothing else.

I have only been lucky enought to get to Houston a couple times with work but never long enough to really see the sites. I hit up Goode company which was more than fine but that was as far as I had time to get too.

I know there is a whole world of great stands and sit downs that are more than worth stopping at. Maybe the book will be good enough to be a cheap susbsitute Smile
Copronymous

PostPosted: Sat May 04 13 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be rubbish. The guy prefers really heavily smoked food. I tried all of his "top places" in DFW. They were literally all not good.
Of course if you like burned-up Texas style que, it might be right up your alley.
To each their own Smile
animal
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 04 13 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, you come here and bash a style of BBQ and a book you haven't seen just after building a UDS with help from this forum.
Smoke Hollow #5
Lang 48 D
Acorn Komado
And a couple of Weber kettles
Briney Dave

PostPosted: Sat May 04 13 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never read anything from the author let alone been lucky enough to travel outside of Houston to taste any real Texas Q

I am only hoping for a few good stories and a good recipe or two to inspire me out of little cooking rut

sorry to hear you are not a fan of the author. As for burnt, over smoked, or otherwise bad Q I can not say anything beyond Goode company which I have ate at twice and liked
Briney Dave

PostPosted: Fri May 17 13 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book arrived yesterday but I have not had a chance to do anything more than flip through it. I was hoping that there would be a few more recipes than I could see

The author and I seem to have followed similar paths into bbq

we have okay bbq in Ohio now but not ten years ago (at least none that I ever found) So my pals and I have had to travel (ofter long distances) in search of great q

For what ever reason, I usually end up invited to the back to see the cookers and talk with the pit boys.

This feels like some of the same things have happened to this guy. There are pics of that crew eating off their truck lid: Been there and done that

I am reserving an opinion until I have read it
I would also like to say a big "up" to Amazon who refunded a couple of dollars after a last second price drop before the book was released. I am sure its a rough job keeping track of all the thousands of limited release books like this one will be and still offer good customer service: Well done Amazon
Briney Dave

PostPosted: Tue May 21 13 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay the book is a complete dud in my opinion: just a foody blog with no real insights great stories or reason for that matter.

I was hoping for some great stories about the current or famous pit bosses from Texas and a few tips and tec (always short one ingredient etc) but there was none of that

I only have a couple of bbq books that I woud not bother lifting again and this is one of them

bummed and want my money back
Florida Pete

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11 14 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed Legends of Texas Barbecue by Robb Walsh. Might be what you are looking for. I moved to Texas from Florida 4 years ago and found Robb Walsh's books fun to read and slammed with great Texas recipes. I pulled my Lang 60 out here and so glad I did. I have found Texas to be a wonderful place for just about any kind of barbecue you could want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookbooks All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: