FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good Day For A Brisket Smoke!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin P
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28 13 1:44 pm    Post subject: Good Day For A Brisket Smoke! Reply with quote

I picked up on sale a large brisket a couple of days ago and decided, with the early spring weather upon us (sunny & mid-80's here today), it'd be a great time to fire up the smoker for a good, long smoke.

A 12-pound bruiser; and not too bad a shape. Sale for $1.69 a pound, Shocked I was tempted to stock up...

After some trimming (about 2 pounds of fat), time for some RUB.
I keep a large jar of mixed rub I use for ribs, brisket, burgers, etc. in a large air-tight jar. It's a fairly utilitarian rub mix— paprika, black pepper, ancho chile, cumin, salt, garlic powder, brown sugar—and on this brisket I'm adding about 2 tablespoons of fresh-ground dark roast coffee = a coffee/chile rub.

I put a nice coat of canola oil onto the brisket, and gave it a generous rubdown with the spice mix.
Injection Therapy: I injected into the brisket some good beef broth (about 1.5 cups total) using a stainless injector.

Prep the Smoker: I had to remove all my sausage-hanging paraphernalia from the smoker and did some rack-readjusting to accommodate the brisket, a drip pan, and a rack to hold the Amazen tube smoker. Preheated the unit, maverick dual-probes ready to watch both smoker and brisket temp, and so I inserted the brisket. I'm using the "Pitmaster's Blend" of pellets for this smoke.

After about 2.5 hours at 225-235°F & good smoke application, I wrapped the brisket tightly in heavy aluminum foil, adding about 1/2 cup of the beef broth before sealing it up. The brisket's temp is at 153°F.

I'm still keeping an eye on this and it may still be awhile before the brisket hits the magic number.

More to come....

Kevin
Kevin P
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29 13 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, after eleven hours in the smoker, the brisket hits the 205°F mark.

Photo op at 1 o'clock in the morning...

I wrapped the brisket well and let it rest overnight in the fridge.

NEXT DAY:
I heated & basted the brisket with BBQ sauce on the weber (plus 8 ears of corn on the cob) while the wife put together some fresh coleslaw.
After about 45 minutes over medium heat, the brisket had a nice crust and glaze on the exterior.

Sample time:
It sliced beautifully. Very tender and the bark has a nice spicy bite to it.
Not nearly as 'smokey' as the overnighters I've done on the charcoal & wood WSM, but still tasty. This wasnt a 'premium' cut of brisket I used—but the price was really good.
I think in the future though, I'll continue to use the WSM for both butts & briskets and use the MB for smoking sausages and the like.

Kevin

BBQonICE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29 13 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Smoked Foods All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: