FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cold Smoking Bacon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21 13 7:33 am    Post subject: Cold Smoking Bacon Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

First time here, but I'm kinda stumped and was hoping someone could help me out.

I bought a used Cookshack SM160 for the restaurant I'm chef at. I cured about 25# of belly with a few different recipes about 2 weeks ago and thought I'd throw it in the box today to smoke.

I've only used it so far for hotter smoke, which worked fine, but thought I could turn the thermostat way down and let my bellies go for awhile without cooking or rendering them at all. Well, I turned it down and threw the wood in, but at the low temp, I'm getting nothing. It's warm in there, probably 100 give or take (which is as low as the thermostat goes), but not a fume of smoke.

Should I not expect to see much? Is the element not doing its job? Is the thermostat screwy? I really wanted to wrap up my day with a bacon tasting for my friends! The only thing I can think of is to turn it up to 150 or so where I've gotten smoke before and then back down to let it cool and dissipate, but that kind of hovering will certainly not work in a restaurant environment.

I'm an amateur obviously, I've done this on a Weber just fine, but can't burn wood in the restaurant kitchen.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Theo
BBQonICE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21 13 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

u have two problems...we smoke bacon in a smokehouse at 120 round bout...this is with wood burner thus can get smoke.

the issue you have is you need to get hot enough to burn your wood chips...but you cant because then you will have a hot smoke.

what you could do it turn temp up..get hot and smoke...then turn down put in bacon then go from there...we go no more than 3hrs.
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21 13 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Theo.
For cold smoking you need a generator of sorts.
I have a FEC and the lowest that I can go is 140. So I bought an 18" AMNTS.
You could go with the PS or the TS.
http://www.amazenproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=12

I've seen posts where they get the smoke going and then back it off to 120 or so. Bump temp 10 per hour. Max 170.
Bacon IT should be 152.
OR
Just a cold smoke for 4-8 hours, wrap for a couple days, slice and pack. This must be cooked before eating.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21 13 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough call,

I think what you may want to do is burn some sawdust in your firebox to get smoke rolling, and keep adding to it instead of doing chips or chunks.
I know a chef doing bacon in an Alto Shaam Smoke & hold with excellent results.
And why no smoke in the kitchen, that's what you exhaust hood is for.
Heck, i'd even consider getting an affordable masterbuilt electric smoker, and setting it on the stove and let it go overnight, the natural draft from your exhaust hood should pull out the small amount of smoke without the exhaust fan running, if not, just leave your hood on overnight.

I prefer to do a full cold smoke when we do bacon, (under 120 degrees) I do not like to cook the bellies in the pit like Jarhead does, I find it messes up the texture I prefer, and lowers my yield, and makes it too greasy on the slicer.
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21 13 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I wasn't clear.
Since getting the AMNTS, I smoke at less than 100 for 4-8 hours.
Before that I used a #10 can with some vent holes, a couple briquettes of charcoal and 2 or 3 wood chunks. Covered with a cast iron pan to act as a damper. Stayed under 100. Very Happy

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
famous david

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15 13 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI, Dave here, go to kck.com look at that smoke tube,,,,you can cold smoke with NO HEAT,,,, I have been doing this it works. I made my own because I'm cheap, and can weld and stuff. I use treager pellets ... stuff turns out great. Make sure you age that cheese a couple of weeks after you smoke it. famous david
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Smoked Foods All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: