FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dad came through big time!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31 13 1:06 am    Post subject: Dad came through big time!! Reply with quote

Well starting to have some warmer weather here as of late (40-50F) and starting to pull everything outta the garage for outdoor cooking season. Mom and dad came up for the holiday this weekend and dad brought me 2 new camp ovens. 1 10in 4 qt and then 1 12 in 6 qt. both are new lodge pieces. Gonna pump out a cobbler here in a bit to break it in.

Modified ECB
UDS
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31 13 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people treasure the older pieces when it comes to most cast iron cookware. However the Lodge camp ovens are top of the line. There are not many older camp ovens with the features that the lodge stuff has. Congrats on getting your hands on them. I buy tons of CI and in the past three years I have only ran across one Lodge camp oven. People get them and don't seem to sell them.
Kurt_W
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31 13 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing better to cook in than cast iron. use it, love it, it only gets better.
roasts, stews, gumbo, and frying...
I have at least a dozen pieces from skilletts, pots and ovens....
we even have a couple of big wash-pots that we still use.
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01 13 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been cooking in cast for about 6 mo now. Love it and swear I can taste a distinct difference compared to a Teflon pan. The buddy who got me into it has a nice collection of vintage pieces his family has had for 2-3 generations. I have managed to pick up some vintage skillets but no camp ovens or Dutch ovens. They seem more expensive even when in terrible condition. I'm sure glad dad bought these and look forward to passing them on to future generations in my own family. Cobbler and biscuits on the way just as soon as I get some time to cook.

Modified ECB
UDS
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02 13 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my camp ovens. I have a 10 and a 12 plus a bunch of small skillets (6"), a 14" skillet and a cornbread pan. I also have a couple of jumbo cheapo camp ovens without legs, but they are for mass quantities.

I defiantly use the two camp ovens the most. Usually stove top, sometimes in the oven, and outdoors every now and then. Glad i have a gas range or the feet would be a problem, which in the oven can be tricky, but very doable.
Kurt_W
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02 13 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the smooth-top/bottom ovens can be used the same as a footed-bottom and flanged top dutch oven.
for campfire cooking, just use 3 broken fire-brick pieces instead of the cast-in legs.
on top a welded ring laid on the smooth cover will hold coals just like the flanged lid. even twisted bailing wire looped into a circle just smaller than the lid dia. will hold coals/bricketts.
with a little practice and burning up a few things Laughing you'll get a feel for the right amt of heat top and bottom to do outdoor baking. rule of thumb is 1/3 heat bottom...2/3 on top.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: