FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beef Jerky: Ten Pounds; Two flavors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin P
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24 13 10:23 am    Post subject: Beef Jerky: Ten Pounds; Two flavors Reply with quote

I picked up ten pounds of lean top round recently. After chilling them well to near frozen, I sliced the lot into approximately 1/8-1/4" wide strips—depending on how distracted I was during the slicing.
I decided to make two flavors—a basic black pepper jerky (my son's favorite), and teriyaki.
Here are the recipes I followed. You can use regular soy sauce. We're a gluten-free household so the GF soy sauce ($$) is what I used.

Basic Black Pepper Jerky Marinade
for 5lbs meat

8 oz Gluten-free Soy Sauce
2 oz Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbl Fresh coarse-ground black pepper (Tellicherry preferred)
1 Tbl Garlic powder (or 3 fresh garlic cloves, finely chopped)
1 tsp Cayenne (optional)
1 tsp (lvl) Cure#1
1 tsp Liquid Smoke (I didn't use this as I plan on smoking the beef)

Teriyaki Jerky Marinade
for 5lbs meat

10 oz Gluten-free Soy sauce
4 oz Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbl chopped garlic
2 tsp fresh black pepper
8 oz Dark Brown sugar
2 tsp fresh chopped Ginger
3 finely-chopped Scallions (white & green parts)
2 tsp -1 Tbl Sesame oil (potent, so use to taste)
1 tsp (lvl) Cure#1

I mixed in the meat in two bowls with the ingredients, and bagged them in zip-loc freezer bags. Squeezed out the excess air and these will both reside in my fridge for the next two days. Then it's off to the smoker with them on Monday.

More to come...

Kevin

Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24 13 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds delicious Kevin.
Thanks for the recipes. I need to make some more now that I'm home.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
BBQonICE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25 13 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a good basic recipie.

how they taste?

I would not skip the liquid smoke as it adds a bit to the taste regardless if your smokeing...can even get different liquid smokes...apple, hichory, cherry, etc.
Kevin P
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26 13 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, onward....

After almost two days of marinade, time to hang the meats pieces for the smoker. Using the tried & true wooden toothpick method, I managed to get all 10 pound onto a single rack. This was my preference (vs multi-rack) in order to get a consistent temp for the duration.

Hanging for the first hour or so with no smoke @ 150°F to dry off the excess moisture before applying smoke.

Using a maple/hickory blend of dust, I applied light smoke for the next 3-4 hours. I used maple for the mellowness (not so overpowering), and the hickory for the color.

Here's a shot about 2 hours into the smoke application...

After nearly 5 hours @ 150°F I did a test-pull and the jerky looks & feels just about right. I inserted a temp probe into a thicker piece, the IT read 152°F so it's time to pull the jekry from the smoker! Very Happy

Good color & texture. Here's samples side by side...

The teriyaki jerky has a touch of garlicky sweetness (almost a tang) & just the right amount of saltiness...

The black pepper jerky has a great 'basic' jerky flavor, with a bit of heat provided by the coarse-ground peppercorns...

Most importantly, all the boys seem to like both types, so I'm a happy jerky-maker!

Kevin
Very Happy
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26 13 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking stuff.
Kevin P
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26 13 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
Nice looking stuff.

Thanks, Harry.
This is the first jerky I've made with this masterbuilt gasser.
Previously, I've made batches with a dehydrator (easy-peasy), and even a few times with my weber smokey mountain (NOT so easy). My main concern was keeping a constant temp (150-155°F) for the duration. The gassers tend to want to climb steadily to 200°F+ but I was able to keep it in the range for the 5-6 hours without too much baby-sitting.

Kevin
SauceBoss
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03 13 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been wanting to do this for a while and I am in a GF household as well so nice to see the recipe in there.

When you say the toothpick method, couldnt you just hand the meat over the grates?
Kevin P
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03 13 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SauceBoss wrote:
When you say the toothpick method, couldnt you just hand the meat over the grates?

Boss, I certainly could have 'draped' the strips over the grate, however my concern is the possible adhesion of the jerky to the metal. This is of particular concern if there is any sugar in the marinade (teriyaki, for example). Where any of the strips 'touched' the metal grating, they 'bonded' to them & had to be pulled or pried off.

Using the toothpicks takes a bit longer, but I don't have to worry about a sticky situation developing. Wink

Kevin
millstream
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04 13 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kevin,

Possibly a dumb question, but when ya don't know the answer... Confused

In your fist picture it looks like you have a slicer there? Is that what you used to cut the jerky? Also, does it matter if you cut the jerky with or across the grain?

The weather is finally breaking on the East Coast, so I will save this recipe for a rainy weekend. Smile

Thanks-Scott
Kevin P
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05 13 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

millstream wrote:
Hey Kevin, In your first picture it looks like you have a slicer there? Is that what you used to cut the jerky?

Scott, that slicer is my little Waring slicer. It does a decent job on most small chubs, but for bacon-slicing and making long strips of near-frozen beef, I found it to unsteady so I switched to hand-slicing with a sharp butchers knife to make the jerky.
I could've used my big slicer, but I was lazy & didnt want the hassle of the clean-up afterwards. Sharp knife works great.

Little Waring on the right; behemoth slicer on left...

millstream wrote:
Also, does it matter if you cut the jerky with or across the grain?

There's a personal preference involved here. Some jerky lovers like their jerky to be more tender and have little given when eaten while others like a chewier, tougher mouth-feel. Much has to do with how the meat is treated AND how it is sliced. If you cut with your knife parallel to the grain, you end up with long muscle fibers that are tough for your teeth to break through (i.e. chewier). Slicing thinly against the grain, however, delivers very short pieces of muscle fiber that are barely held together (i.e. tender).
Here's my dilemma— in our house, some like the tougher jerky, others like it more tender. So I wind up doing it both ways (with and across the grain). Me? I like it on the more tender side.

Found this image using steak slices, which really helps explain it better— WITH the grain & Cross the grain:

Kevin
millstream
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05 13 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin. Your explanations are the best!

Scott
SauceBoss
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08 13 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Kevin! That totally makes sense. I am working doing my first jerky batch this weekend and will instead of toothpicks am going to try bamboo skewers (thats just my laziness lol). Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Smoked Foods All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: