FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Build Questions from a new Guy...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Discada Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeh53

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20 13 11:13 am    Post subject: Build Questions from a new Guy... Reply with quote

Hi Group, I am a new guy, MikeH been larking for a few days, Been into smoking meat for several years, at one time was on snookering everyday looking and learning, life got in the way, I am an Apostolic preacher, and just started a church… busy! Use my smokers a lot for church cooking.
The other day I came on and was browsing… and low and behold… I discovered your Disc cooking forum! Now I have the bug for a disco … and my wife… looked over my shoulder and said… I want one! So…
But I have some questions…
I live in farm country, in SW Indiana… Stopped by a tractor Company in Sullivan IN today and found
22 inch new disk for $23. (look like the ones on this forum)
23- or 24 inch disk (not sure sales man measured) Its thicker and a little larger but $58.
What are you guys using for your builds… looks like most are using the 22s? But being a little larger (I will be cooking for larger crowds at the church, and thicker (better for heat?)
Which should I buy? In the long run would the larger one be more usefull?
Which would you choose?
As for the welding… I have a snap-on 110 buzz box I bought at a garage sale last year cheap! And it does work… I am not a welder but did weld some when I was a kid… (I am pushing 60 and do not remember much) can anyone tell me if this is a good tool to weld up a disco and if so… what kind of rod do I need? Would I be better off to find me a wire feed?
Note… My smokers are rusting out… planning on a new smoker build also... so another welder is not out of the question… just hate to go buy one just for a disco…
BBcue-z
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20 13 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum MikeH Very Happy
I also cook for a large crowd often and I’d say go for the largest Disc you could find. The thicker you could find, the better for heat retention.
I can’t tell you any thing about welding, since I don’t have welding equipments nor know any thing about them, but others will chime in.
I bought my 24-inch Disco here: http://www.lonestargrillz.com/Gas-Grills-.html
They sell the Disc alone without the burner and the stand. I really love it because it’s deeper than most and the lip helps in keeping the liquid in.
What are your plans for the burner?
The burner is just as important as the disc, and you’ll have to use a design that allow even distribution of heat to the bottom of the disc.
Good luck on your build and don’t forget to come back and add pictures of your Disc and food Very Happy
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20 13 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeh53 welcome aboard. +1 on what Z told you on the bigger disc. I run a 20" But mostly cook for 2-4. Stick will get the job done.6010 root 7018 cover is what i weld the plug in with. I'm not sure what the snap-on welder is ...meaning ac or dc just make sure you match your rod.
1/8" root 3/32 cover. As far as getting a mig ...cant have to many welders Wink
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20 13 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeh53, welcome. Very Happy

I agree with Maniac and BBcue-z, if your gonna be cooking for a larger group, get the bigger one.

Your stick machine should work fine. I use a old Lincoln AC only machine and like the 7018 AC rod.

Enjoy your build, any more questions, ask away. Very Happy
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20 13 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeh53, I am not sure the 110 machine will have enough behind it to run a 7018 so you will most likely need to run 6011's. Now here is the kicker, the 6011 is going to most likely be porous so leaks may occur. What I would do is bevel the pieces then make your first pass. Once this is done make reference marks on the corners well past your welds to know where your weld started and stopped then grind the weld down and slightly notch it to expose any porosity and fill in. Then do the same procedure again as a cover pass and grind out the welds smooth.
You should do this on both sides.
This is what my current disc looked like just before welding it up.

I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Discada Cooking All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: