FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What EVOO do you use ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
N8DCJ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15 13 12:26 am    Post subject: What EVOO do you use ? Reply with quote

I am curious what EVOO everyone uses ? I have been using Kroger pure OO for cooking (not at high temps) and Colavita EVOO for drizzling , salad dressing etc...

I was reading about fake EVOO , but , in the end it is all pretty confusing. As with everything else on the internet you can find any answer you want... I tasted a spoonful of the Colavita I have and it didn't taste anything at all like one of the bad reviews I saw... I suppose they may have had an old bottle or it was stored in the light and heat...

I am really interested in what you chef types (Roxy, BigOrson and all the others I cant think of at the moment) use at home and work.

Dan
Mish
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15 13 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a chef but the main thing is to check the ingredients when purchasing, the whole olive oil fake out is due to people buying cheap crap expecting the best. Little info on different Olive Oils.

I personally have some cheap light olive I use for frying and such and a decently priced bottle of EVOO for flavor applications.

• Extra virgin olive oil: cold-pressed result of the first pressing of the olives, with only 1% acid; considered the finest and fruitiest, and thus the most expensive; ranges from a crystalline champagne color to greenish-golden to bright green; generally, the deeper the color, the more intense the olive flavor.

• Virgin olive oil: also a first-press oil, with a slightly higher acidity level of between 1-3%.

• Fino olive oil: (meaning fine in Italian) is a blend of extra virgin and virgin olive oils.

• Light olive oil: This version contains the same amount of beneficial monounsaturated fats as regular olive oil, but due to the refining process, it is lighter in color and has essentially no flavor. This makes it a good choice for baking and other purposes where the heavy flavor might not be desirable. This process also gives it a higher smoking point, making it a prime candidate for high-heat cooking.
30in Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15 13 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/extra-virgin-olive-oil-3l/prod6930034.ip?navAction=
and
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/100-pure-olive-oil-3l/prod6910176.ip?navAction=
Both are at Sam's and very reasonable and good tasting.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15 13 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm somewhat of a snob ( Laughing Laughing ) when it comes to ingredients, here's my $.02 -

I generally use Italian Extra Virgin oil, with olives grown and processed in Italy, for uncooked use - salads, dipping, finish drizzle, etc. When I can afford it, my preferred brand is Il Molino. Expensive, but great flavor, so Colavita 'Fruttato' is what I mostly use for that. For everything else EVOO, Costco's house brand (Kirkland), Whole Food's HB (365), and Filippo Berio are some great oils IMO, although they are a mix of olives from different countries. Some excellent olive oils come from other countries (Turkey, Greece, Spain, California) and have differing tastes. No different than drinking wine - use what you like.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
TX727
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15 13 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really only two we buy. Both very good in my opinion

Proud member of the "Easy Bake Oven and Old Milwaukee Club™" since 2013
----------------------------------------
Weber 1 touch gold 22.5-Big Blue
MES 30" Digital
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15 13 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For everyday cooking, I just use CostCo's olive oil. EVOO for dressings and drizzling, I experiment with a different brand each time I run out. There are so many out there I can't say that I have a favorite.
Changeling
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15 13 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The secret on olive oils is: There is no secret ! They are all made from olives.

Find one you like the taste of for salids, whatever and use it that way. This will usually be an EVOO.

For cooking there is no real reason to buy EVOO (unless you just like it), just try several of the lower priced oils from reliable sources (Costco/Sams) and use it ONE bottle at a time untill you hit your "Sweet Spot". There you have it, the secret to olive oils.

I've done an edit because I never answered the original question.

Personally I use Bertolli EVOO for about everything. I get it from Sam's.
However they don't sell the lower grades of Bertolli anymore so I will have to go elsewhere to get a cooking type olive oil.
This is because the EVOO price has gone constantly up (for no real reason except greed) so it's become to expensive to "Fry" with.
Manana
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16 13 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertoli's
The artist formerly known as Liar #95
(until beertooth whined) NOW Liar #96
Char-Griller Smokin Pro w/SFB
Char-Griller Akorn Kamado
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17 13 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use the costco stuff often at home. At work I use a blend, currently Colavita.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: