FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most economical way to cut sheet goods
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13 13 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless wrote:
My O/A torch was on the fritz. I resorted to a 4.5" angle grinder with a cutoff blade. It is a bit time consuming but with about 4 hrs work and $10 worth of wheels, it made fairly short work of a 5' x 10' 1/4" plate with approx 12 panel cutout

Wreckless, Have you tried a 6" grinder set up with a wafer disc? There is a world of difference in the performance of the 6"s as compared to the 4-1/2"s.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13 13 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smootz wrote:
Wreckless wrote:
My O/A torch was on the fritz. I resorted to a 4.5" angle grinder with a cutoff blade. It is a bit time consuming but with about 4 hrs work and $10 worth of wheels, it made fairly short work of a 5' x 10' 1/4" plate with approx 12 panel cutout

Wreckless, Have you tried a 6" grinder set up with a wafer disc? There is a world of difference in the performance of the 6"s as compared to the 4-1/2"s.

smootz wrote:
Wreckless wrote:

Appreciate the tip Scotty. Cool I don't have a 6" grinder, I do have a 7" grinder tho and tried a cutoff wheel on it. It required a bit more attention than i was willing to put forth. The 4 1/2" is easier to handle I.E safer in my world. No matter anyways, I have the O/A rig working fine these days alongside my plasma cutter. I was refering to my more humble beginnings when I was fabbing with not much more than a hammer and chisel so to speak. As far as Fireman Pete's query, a new 7" grinder goes for around $130 + tax, worth it but sort of costly if you are only fabbing occasionally. A 4 1/2" Bosch angle grinder goes for around $30, add a handful of thin cutoff wheels and you're in business. The thread being " Most economical...", i would go the 4 1/2" route over paying for shear cuts anyday unless it comes dirt cheap. And...if you miss your measurement by more than allowable, eng change, or need something other than a right angle cut, the vendor shear cut turns your plate into scrap.
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13 13 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to shear when i can but sometimes you can save material by using a O/A, plasma, or grinder. You can cut just the part you need whereas a shear is going to cut all the way across potentially leaving waste (drops). But ya gotta love those sweet sheared edges.
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14 13 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you fella's are on the subject of cutting, I'll throw my 2 cents in. Shocked
I had the firebox pieces sheared from the supplier I used, there was a serious mis-communication on shearing a 4'x8' sheet of 1/4" plate. The cuts cost almost as much as the plate. Shocked

The only plus side was the edges were great and I didn't have to figure out how to move a few hundred pounds of plate myself.

That being water under the bridge, I wouldn't do it again, for the price I coulda bought a new grinder and enough wheels.....I'm looking for a torch now. Very Happy
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14 13 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF wrote:

I had the firebox pieces sheared from the supplier I used, there was a serious mis-communication on shearing a 4'x8' sheet of 1/4" plate. The cuts cost almost as much as the plate. Shocked

Shears capable of 1/4" and up plate are pricey and at some point you have to sharpen/replace blades, rebuild hold-downs, hydraulic oil, etc. Several years ago we were getting $10- every time we hit the pedal, not sure what it would be now.

But you are right. It does make for nice fit-up. Wink
GlobalTJB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15 15 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smootz wrote:
GF wrote:

Shears capable of 1/4" and up plate are pricey and at some point you have to sharpen/replace blades, rebuild hold-downs, hydraulic oil, etc. Several years ago we were getting $10- every time we hit the pedal, not sure what it would be now.

But you are right. It does make for nice fit-up. Wink
For $10 I wouldnt even blink. The local steel shop wants $50 per cut, so I wound up buying a battery operated dewalt jigsaw to bring along with me to the metal supplier and I cut the steel in the parking lot so that it would fit in my car.
inkjunkie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17 15 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the local places charged someone $35 to cut a sheet of expanded in half...
Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09 16 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be able to get your steel dealer to shear it for you, I have had a local shop shear my plate that I have used for my firebox. The nice thing about having it done that way is you have really clean edges for welding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: