FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Basics of ABTís
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29 07 10:06 am    Post subject: The Basics of ABTís Reply with quote

I know that these have been done and redone in the forum but I thought I would write down a detailed account of how to make these. Also, I was playing around with my new Hi Res camera.

Keep in mind that different people put different things in their personal verisons of ABT's

The Basics of ABTís

ABTís or Atomic Buffalo Turds as they are also known are considered BBQ Crack in the barbecuing world. They have received this dubious title because they are addicting. If you put a tray of these out at your next party, donít think that there will be any left when you return because your guest will eat these as fast as they are made.

ABTís are easy to make and very tough to put down. Now personally, I am not a big jalapeno fan. However, when you de-vein and smoke a jalapeno, most of the heat normally associated with the pepper is gone. What is left is a very rich flavor in a small little package. Every bite in an ABT is a symphony of flavors in your mouth. You start with the smoked bacon flavor; move to the jalapeno, then to the cream cheese / onion and finish up with a cheddar flavored smoked sausage.

Here is a list of ingredients to make approximately 20 ABTís.

20 Fresh Jalapenos (Pick the straighter ones when you choose)
20 Cheddar Litíl Smokies (1 package contains approximately 36 sausages)
1 Pkg. Cream Cheese (8 oz.)
2 Lbs. Bacon Ĺ or 1 strip per ABT
1/8 Med. Mexican Sweet Onion (Diced)
1 Tblspn. Turbinado Sugar

Start by putting on cellophane or latex gloves. The juices from the jalapenos are very potent and will still be in your skin days after you handle them without gloves.

Using a sharp knife, remove the stem end of the jalapeno.

You will notice that the inside of the pepper not only has seeds, but also a membrane (called the vein) that acts as internal support for the pepper.

To get to the seeds and vein, slice the pepper lengthwise to the end.

Make sure that you keep track of both sides of the pepper, you will want to mate both sides again after they are stuffed.

As you can see, the vein and seeds remain intact. You will need to remove both before you proceed. While there are tools for this, I find a tea spoon to be quite effective in removing both.

Once the insides are clean, you are ready to fill the ABTs with cheese and sausage.

Inside this batch I am going to add 1 tablespoon of turbinado sugar and 1/8 of a finely diced, medium size, Mexican Sweet onion to take a bit of the bite off the pepper and add another layer of flavor.

Once you have mixed your onion, sugar and cream cheese together into a paste, spread a small amount into each Ĺ shell of the pepper.

Next, place one smokie in each pair of peppers. *** some people like to just do Ĺ of a smokie with Ĺ a slice of bacon, the choice is yours.

With the smokies inserted in the ABTís, sandwich the smokie in between both sides of the pepper and wrap tightly with Ĺ to 1 full piece of bacon.

After the ABT has been wrapped, place 2 toothpicks through the ABT. Make sure you hit both the pepper and smokie to secure the bacon on the ABT.

Place the ABTís on a preheated smoker at 250 degrees and cook for approximately 2 hours until done.

Donít worry about the cream cheese coming out of the ABT. The smoke forms a skin that acts as a temporary plug in the pepper.

When the pepper is done, remove from the smoker and stand back. Some people try to remove the toothpicks from the ABTís but I donít. I find that they act as a handle and keep the sausage from squirting out with the cheese when you bite into one.

As you can see, the cheese is still creamy in the center. Two of these prior to a meal is a great way to prepare your guest for the main course. The problem is that many guests canít stop at two!

Rub the Butt BBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29 07 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien,

That camera takes AWESOME pics!! Thats for the post.

Stumps GF 223
Custom Built Offset Stick Burner
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29 07 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics out of that camera there Michael! What type and model is it? Got a small digital myself, looking foward to picking up something a little nicer to replace my Nikon FE some day. Very Happy

Great tutorial for any newbies that have just joined us!
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30 07 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 24,000+ views and 130+ replies on the ORIGINAL ABT thread, I can see where we need another one. Rolling Eyes
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30 07 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
RockPirate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30 07 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recipe. This is my first post. I look forward to trying these. They look easy to make and amzing. Actually great timing with the superbowl coming up.

Bryan
skybob
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31 07 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very good timing indeed. I can never get enough of ABT's, learning different ways to do them and just looking and drooling at the pics. I"m planning on spares, ABT's, and wings for the Superbowl.
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31 07 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RockPirate wrote:
Thanks for the recipe. This is my first post. I look forward to trying these. They look easy to make and amzing. Actually great timing with the superbowl coming up.

Bryan

Welcome to the forum Bryan, you might want to check out this thread also. Wink
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=657
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31 07 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, I like it..........Will try this week (and take pics to post) and see about adding to my 'appitizer' menu. Now to figure my costs to get a selling point. I currently do a stuffed jalapeno, stuffing with cream cheese, somtimes I mix some crab or cooked sasuage into cream cheese. But the little smokie idea is cute.

Dang, nearly 10 AM.......I am going to the store NOW and get the stuff and make this afternoon!! Heck with waiting 'till later in the week.

Help me out here, I need a description that I can put on my website menu that will 'intice' customers to order these....any ideas??

Thanks, Marv
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31 07 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marvsbbq wrote:
Help me out here, I need a description that I can put on my website menu that will 'intice' customers to order these....any ideas??

Thanks, Marv

Jalapeno Poppers might sound more appetizing then Atomic Buffalo Turds??? Laughing
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31 07 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone in preticular I need to give credit to for this reciepe?? Like to give credit where credit is due.

Marv
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31 07 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien
I see how it is ...... sure take a fella in and make him feel at home, then just when he`s feeling like he belongs to something then quick shoot him down.
huh my only meaningful contribution to the some ring is going down for the count...... Sad
Without even a "gee thanks Jeff"...... even though i didn`t invent them (ABT) i was the 1st to post them cause i wanted to share the love..... but now well huh i sure don`t feel any love now..... Wink Wink Wink

Just messin with ya Alien....... Wink
Nice pictures..... Very Happy
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31 07 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck marv..... don`t know who the original maker of this recipe is and i dought if anyone else does eather but maybe someone will pop in with better info.
I in my need for acceptance Very Happy seen that no one was talking about the ABT`s on the Smoke Ring and thought i`d share the recipe as i found it.

I have heard that some caters are selling them for $ 1.00 - $ 2.50 per turd though ..... good luck.
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31 07 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, going to the commissary @ Ft. Lewis here in a few min. I will get ingredients and figure costs and let you all know what I come up with as far as price to charge.

Think when I do my decription on my website, I will give "The good bunch in the Smoke Ring Forum" credit........how does that sound?

Marv
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31 07 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats sounds supper there marv ... ya know there really is a good bunch of fellas here on the "ring" and they sure can come up with some great recipes.
For the hell of it type in ABT on the search page and see what comes up. Wink
70 topic`s on three pages.... Very Happy
Bunch of good stuff.
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01 07 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, as promised, here is MY attempt at the ABT's with pics.
First one is on smoker...done and ready to take off

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/marvsbbq/ABTsBBQ021.jpg

[IMG]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/marvsbbq/ABTsBBQ021.jpg
[/IMG]

The second one is off and ready to scarf down

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/marvsbbq/ABTsBBQ023.jpg

The 3rd one is the chicken thighs ready to take into house and eat

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/marvsbbq/ABTsBBQ024.jpg

The 4th one is how I cook my oysters..Had to have a little snack while wating for the TBT's

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/marvsbbq/ABTsBBQ019.jpg

The 5th one is my ABT cooker...... Shocked Have to call it something other than BERTHA!!

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/marvsbbq/ABTsBBQ004.jpg

Look for more pics on other posts of same night's cookout

<arv
barry
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01 07 5:20 am    Post subject: The basics of ABT's Reply with quote

My compliments to the chef, these are definitely on the menu for this weekend. This will be the 1st time we've done them in a smoker.

Barry
Carbomb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05 07 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed the Alien BBQ's directions and my ABTs were a hit at our 4th of July picnic. I made a few dozen ABTs and some Pig Peckers and they both went pretty fast. Very Happy
Weber Summit Gold
You can really get the smoke going when you break the sound barrier........
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04 07 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a rack that could help everyone out with these things. I picked up one of these at a discount store that holds 21 peppers. The rack is handy for getting them on and off the grill or smoker. I also found one that will do a Dozen at Wally-World for 5 bucks.

Similar to this one:

http://www.jalapenoracks.com/recipes.html

Alien I have used the rack to hold peppers similar to your Alien Probes recipe.

Instead of cutting them in half I core the seeds and membrane out with a old fashion potato peeler. If you really want a mild pepper soak them in milk for 2 to 3 hours prior to cooking. I fill mine with shredded 4 cheese mix with bacon bits and then wrap them in bacon. Cream cheese and poppers is not a regional recipe. Also remember to poke a hole in the bottom with a tooth pick to let any fat and juice drain out.

To modify the ABT recipe as posted, you could just fill half the pepper with the cream cheese mix and push a little smokie into the pepper until the cheese squeezes up around it. Wrap in bacon and done with 1 tooth pick.

I just made 30 of my recipe for a party last weekend and people who donít even like spicy foods tried one and then ate 3 or 4 more.

Donít be afraid of trying different fillings. I have made them filled with garlic and cheese, shrimp and pineapple, pepperoni and cheese. Let your imagination run wild as everything is better with bacon.

Speaking of which here are a couple of guys that think everything should taste like bacon:

http://www.baconsalt.com/
CtheSmoke
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26 07 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump to the top... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: