FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoke Swai Filets The Easy Way

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Seafood Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlicTrix

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28 13 3:12 pm    Post subject: Smoke Swai Filets The Easy Way Reply with quote

Now I can't really believe I was the test pilot on this or perhaps I am just odd and figured smokin asia farm raised catfish filets might Just Taste Good and the Suckers do. Like think of smoked rainbow trout flavor with a cod texture with that mild unfishy taste cod has.

LOL catfish always that muddy wild taste unless purged in fresh water for a week or so.

Try this chit and I bet you like it !.!.!

Swai Filets or known as asian catfish which are farm raised catfish from asia, most commonly from vietnam. They are a delicate mild filet since being farm raised there is no mud taste and are very good just being fried or baked.

But I like to smoke them since they are only $3.00 a Lb at aldi, sold in a 2lb individually frozen filets bag for $5.49 + tax

Smoked Swai Filets

2 lbs of defrosted swai filets

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup of kosher salt or sea salt

1 tablespoon ground black pepper

6oz of lemon juice, recon or fresh is best

6 cups of chicken broth or 6 chicken bullion qubes melted down in 6 cups of boiling water

Mix all seasonings in a 1 gallon freezer bag and add swai filets, mixing again to coat filets, squease all excess air from bag and seal.

Place in refridgerator for 6hrs to marinate

When ready get your smoker up to 200F degrees with cherry or apple wood and spray your racks with olive oil or at least wipe them down with oil and brush the flat side of the filets with olive oil and place the filets flat side down on angles so as not to have drooping of filets thru the racks.

Smoke for 1hr 30 minutes and remove racks and let cool a bit; they are a very tender whitefish so be careful and let cool to your touch the colder the better. Then spatula them from the racks and foil pack or vacuum seal them. Then refridgerate entill cold and Enjoy

You can also freeze them once packaged for later use

SlicTrix/Greg

Last edited by SlicTrix on Thu Feb 28 13 3:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
SlicTrix

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28 13 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh By The Way

This recipe also works for Tilapia filets, but cut the brine time down to 3 hrs and the smoker time down to 45 minutes since they are thiner and smaller filets and don't yell at me if you didn't coat your racks with enought oil

Or just brush the flat side of the filet with olive oil before layin that side down on the racks.

Later
SlicTrix/Greg
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01 13 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlicTrix, I will stick with the american farm raised catfish I do not mind the muddy taste. I have seen some pretty disturbing videos on raising the Asian catfish I wouldn't touch that stuff with a 10 foot pole.
The recipe sounds delicious Thanks for sharing. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
SlicTrix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01 13 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool K A M to each thier own, but you can use my recipe for your american catfish filets if you like. It should work well.

Heck I used it for full head on carp and just increased the brine time and cooking time. And they are dam good if I do say so myself HeHe

Nothing Else Needed to Do What I Do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Seafood Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: