FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Venison Jerky

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikey P's BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01 13 8:07 pm    Post subject: Venison Jerky Reply with quote

I have made lots of jerky in my time and its time to make it again. Is there any way to make jerky with the same consistency as the store bought stuff? I've tried dehydrating it less but seems too chewy.

Would the addition of some cure to my brine help me get this consistency? My recipe is below as well as my venison doner Very Happy I normally add some garlic into the mix but it isn't listed in the recipe.

•1 1/2 to 2 pounds flank steak
•2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
•2/3 cup Light soy sauce
•1 tablespoon honey
•2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
•2 teaspoons onion powder
•1 teaspoon liquid smoke
•1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02 13 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lil buck!

Not real knowledgeable about jerky making. Only made it once, with beef. It turned out great. I used eye of round that had been smoked to 130ish, sliced thin, soaked in a soy mixture (similar to yours) for a few minutes, and dehydrated. It wasn't a traditional way, but I was bored and playing with my new dehydrator. Mary T. Bell has some good books that have jerky recipes.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02 13 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You never know with a store bought product if a tenderizer was used or not..

Personally, I like jerky real hard and dry.. Gives me something to work on and I find I get more of the flavour out of the meat than with the real moist stuff which I can chew and swallow before all those flavours come through..

I have always liked something we have up this way which is called Kippered beef.. Its real moist but you got to work at chewing it up.. Lots of red pepper flakes and its kinda spicy.
LIAR #100
Stainless

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03 13 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use ground venison and a jerky gun. Not chewy and nobody realizes it's ground meat when it's done. The ground allows the spices to better mix as well imo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: