FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fresh Sausage - Can I Still Use Cure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teamfour
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03 12 2:07 am    Post subject: Fresh Sausage - Can I Still Use Cure Reply with quote

Is there and advantage or downside to using Cure#1 when making fresh sausage? Also, when making fresh, what is the amount of time I can refrigerate before having to freeze the sausage?
Great Outdoors vertical propane
UDS
Gray Goat
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03 12 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cure will keep the meat red in color instead of turning gray when cooked.

As far as storage goes, if I have it vac sealed I will keep it in the fridge for a week or two before freezing.

If it is in a zip lock, I probabaly wouldn't go more than three or four days. JM2C Smile

Home made offset
Weber gasser
Weber kettle
UDS
Large BGE
Masterbuilt 30"

Last edited by Gray Goat on Tue Dec 04 12 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04 12 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is zero reason to cure meat unless you are smoking, it will considerably change the texture , color, & flavor when used.

Shelf life? Pork has a short life compared to beef, it has to do with the enzymes/bacteria in pork, grinding it and handling it more will decrease the life even more, I say 72 hours max before freezing.

A cure is used to keep things safe when smoking, since when smoking sausage, your temps are smack dab in the middle of the zone for best bacteria growth, Cure helps keep C. botulinum under control in that low-oxygen, funky temperature zone.
Seminole

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04 12 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As already explained by Gray Goat and Harry Nutczak, cure #1 is not needed for fresh sausages, unless a pink color is desired.
This is often the case when making the following types of sausages:
a. Stuffed in large diameter sausages which display internal fancy design. For example a checker board design, where cubes of hard backfat are mixed with solid chunks of lean meat. All this can be surrounded with a regular sausage stuffing. The meat for the sausage mass is not cured, so it will be gray. Lean meat chunks should be cured for 48 hours in a refrigerator so they will be red, and the fat cubes will remain white. There are many Russian and Lithuanian sausages that employ this technique.
b. Tongue head cheeses, the tongue is usually cured so it looks solid red.

Otherwise it is up to you, be the artist. Cured chicken breast will be light pink, lean pork pink-red, beef solid red. Keep in mind that you cannot just sprinkle those meat cubes with cure #1 and stuff them into casings. What you do is cut them into desired size, miz with salt and cure #1, pack them tight to eliminate the air, and leave them for 2-3 days in a refrigerator.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: