FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cast iron skillet steaks, hot and fast.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30 12 11:31 am    Post subject: Cast iron skillet steaks, hot and fast. Reply with quote

For those of you who own cast iron skillets I use mine a lot took steaks. I put the skillet in the oven and turn the oven on to 500 degrees. After the oven pre heats and the skillet is good and hot (usually 5 to 10 more minutes) I turn on a burner to high and let it get hot. I take the skillet out of the oven and put it on the burner and drop a nice fat rib eye into the hot skillet. Usually about 1-2 minutes on each side will get a nice crust. Then I stick it back into the oven for about 2-3 more minutes per side. Depending on the thickness of the steak this will get it to rare-med rare. My wife likes hers well done so I just remove the skillet from the oven and take mine out. I let hers sit in the skillet on the stove for another 5 minutes or so and it will continue to cook on it's own. I do this a lot in the winter or in the summer depending on the weather
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02 12 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I cook a steak I do it this way. it is the only way to get it near the perfection of the salamander broiler in a good steakhouse. Of course you could cook them over a chimney starter a la Alton Brown.... Smile

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02 12 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cast iron can make anything taste good. You tell some people you cook steak in a skillet and they look at you like you are a college student trying to cook for yourself the very first time.
smokemaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05 12 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love a Ribeye cooked this way. Have to remove the batteries fron the smoke detector first!

"Beauty Follows Smoke"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Hot & Fast All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: