FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone else frying the bird?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buckru
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Nov 17 2012    Post subject: Anyone else frying the bird? Reply with quote

Well, Thanksgiving is at my house for the first time this year. I was going to do the okie holiday brine but most folks coming over have never had fried turkey and that seems to be the big request. Only problem with frying is no drippings for the brown gravy. Chicken stock it is

I've done a bunch of them so no problems with torching the house, even though I like to fry mine in the living room, on the carpet, while snot-slingin drunk watching football. Don't worry, I'll put down newspaper. Very Happy

Buck
mbellot
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Nov 17 2012    Post subject: Re: Anyone else frying the bird? Reply with quote

Buckru wrote:
I've done a bunch of them so no problems with torching the house, even though I like to fry mine in the living room, on the carpet, while snot-slingin drunk watching football. Don't worry, I'll put down newspaper. Very Happy

I hope you're using lighter fluid to get that thing started.

Laughing
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Nov 17 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have 3 birds every year. I smoke one, I fry one and my wife does a traditional bird. We get 3 fresh Turkeys usually in the 14 lb range. The fried bird almost becomes an appetizer. Me and the guys head outside about 2 hrs before dinner, fire up the outdoor fireplace, put the game on the radio and drink some beers while we fry the Turkey. It has become a tradition for all drinking adults to come out and get a smell of the Turkey frying (man they smell good) and we do a shot together and toast family and friends. When the fried turkey comes in it starts out with someone attacking the wings, then the legs, usually about 80% of the breast makes it to the table with the smoked and traditional Turkeys. I started adding a fried one to the menu about 15 years ago and it became tradition....it almost quit being tradition this year when I was at Costco and saw the Peanut Oil was $49.99. Oh well it's just money.

We usually filter the oil off and use it over the next 3 or 4 months doing fish, chicken and shrimp. Last years got filtered and poured back in the jug and put in storage. My wife said "it has only been used once". I said it hasn't been heated in a year and I wouldn't trust that for jack especially with guests. So it went to the recycler and I picked up a new one. I'll use the oil in the coming months.....$50 is steep prep charge for one turkey!!!
30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
Buckru
BBQ Fan

[....it almost quit being tradition this year when I was at Costco and saw the Peanut Oil was $49.99. Oh well it's just money[/quote]

If I had been buying the peanut oil instead of the wife, we'd be having smoked turkey.

I'm frying two birds this year and that seems to be all I can get out of the oil The leftover oil goes to a bud who brews his own biodiesel.

Fried legs and wings are the best.

Buck
SoEzzy
BBQ Super All Star

Buckru wrote:
If I had been buying the peanut oil instead of the wife, we'd be having smoked turkey.

Buck

WOW you bought a wife instead of peanut oil... and you think the peanut oil was expensive... Huh wait till the other shoe drops... or pair of shoes I should say! Wink Laughing Wink

Just joking... I know you've already found out the cost of a wife! Razz

I still work here!
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

I'll be frying mine this year, and I might do 2 just to get some use out of the oil.

I have both a traditional fryer rig, and an oil-less one. The real deal is better, but when money is tight the oil-less gets me by. (the oil-less is great for cooking away from home though)
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Nov 18 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be frying a couple and smoking another one. Did my first smoked bird last year and it was fantastic.

And y'all are right about the cost of Peanut oil nowadays Evil or Very Mad
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
texbbqpits
BBQ Super Pro

I also smoke one plus a ham, and fry at least one. Bought the peanut oil today, and like yall said, from now on, they may only be smoked. tom
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

I'm not!
Buckru
BBQ Fan

SoEzzy wrote:
Buckru wrote:

Buck

WOW you bought a wife instead of peanut oil... and you think the peanut oil was expensive... Huh wait till the other shoe drops... or pair of shoes I should say! Wink Laughing Wink

Just joking... I know you've already found out the cost of a wife! Razz

Where was the buy one get one free coupon? Two makes it even more expensive, but I woulda returned one after a week.
nomad
BBQ Fan

went to sam's last night and they had a soybean/peanut oil blend for $25.99. Have never used it before but thought I might try it this year.

Looks like I have been volunteered to fry at least 3 so far this year since the smoker doesn't look like it will be ready.

Good luck to everyone and be safe. I love watching the fried turkey bloopers on youtube.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

Debbie and I are going to my sisters house in Mamou, La. for Thanksgiving and Friday. We are frying two birds and baking a ham. We will also have a skeet shooting contest going on in the pasture, gonna be a fun time. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

I'm going to try one and do a traditional one.......will smoke one next year as i lent my smoker to a friend so he can do one for his relatives. He gave me a bottle of home made limonechello Cool
messerist
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Nov 19 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually buy my peanut oil at Cabela's, which is just down the road. I was in yesterday to buy some and all they had was a peanut/canola mix. But it was much cheaper than $50! Has anyone ever tried lard?
UDS (in progress)
Fig Pucker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Nov 19 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be doing my traditional day after thanksgiving turkery fry party; Turkery Palooza where all non relatives get togethor for an all fried thanskgiving feast.

Just like the orignal thanksgiving, we'll be having a fried turkey, a bloomin' onion, tempura vegitables, french fries, fried pickles and deep fired ice cream for desert. Very Happy

Assuming my artereis are still functioning, the next day I'll be frying three more turkes on saturday. My wife and her friend have thier turkey pot pie making marathon day. I'll fry up 3 extra spicey birds and the'll make about 20 turkey pot pies to be put in the deep freezer and enjoyed all year. Smile

I agree the peanut oil is getting exspensive. I think I paid about $25 at BJ's...not only is the price going up, the jug seems to be getting smaller. I think they're selling 3 gallon jugs now?
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Nov 24 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fig Pucker wrote:
I think they're selling 3 gallon jugs now?

They have for a while I believe. If you have the tall narrow pot with the max fill line and the 15lb turkey max stamped on it. The line is 3 gallons.

I like to do 12lb birds so the 3 gallons is perfect. I paid $36 for my oil retail. I checked my food service vendors, one was $85 for a 5 gallon Shocked .

On a different note - Last week or the week before I touched my turkey holder (the star shaped thing) said I will need this and put it somewhere. Can not find it anywhere. Moved everything in the attic 3 times, the garage, and the kitchen. 2 hours till the turkey is supposed to go in and no where to go get one. So I made one:

Worked great since it was 8 or 9 inches taller than the pot. Did not even need to use the hook to keep my hand away from the oil. (still used it, but did not really need to)
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

One of the fried birds -

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z396/bugsnbbq/IMG_2559.jpg

Trying the 'new' Photobucket - hope this works

SoEzzy- I have read This, so I know the deal. PB is telling me these pics are the same size. On my screen the first one is much larger. HELP! Laughing Laughing Laughing

SoEzzy
BBQ Super All Star

Don't believe PB!

Either resize your pictures when you take them off the camera as I do, and reset the upload size as per post 9 on that thread.

I set a new folder for a set of pictures, copy the images in off the camera, I then create another folder inside the first and I call it "small", I open Irfanview, freebie download. select the first folder, and then open the batch conversion program in Irfanview, I then add all the pictures, I select the output folder to the "small" folder inside the other, and then click start, it takes about .5 of a second per image.

The first time you will need to set your parameters for the conversions, then you can upload from the "small" folder and that way they are always going to be correct when you post them.

I still work here!
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

Bugs, as good as that bird looks, I still wouldnt eat it...it seems to have the crabs! Shocked Wink
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Nov 25 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
Don't believe PB!

Either resize your pictures when you take them off the camera as I do, and reset the upload size as per post 9 on that thread.

I set a new folder for a set of pictures, copy the images in off the camera, I then create another folder inside the first and I call it "small", I open Irfanview, freebie download. select the first folder, and then open the batch conversion program in Irfanview, I then add all the pictures, I select the output folder to the "small" folder inside the other, and then click start, it takes about .5 of a second per image.

The first time you will need to set your parameters for the conversions, then you can upload from the "small" folder and that way they are always going to be correct when you post them.

What I've been doing is using a seperate PB account for the pics I post here. I stick the camera card in, select the pics I want to download, and it's set up to re-size them. Now PB is 'New and Improved' and for the life of me I can't effing figure it out Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad . I need a drink... Laughing

Mr Tony - Mmmmmmm, crabs Laughing . Posting that pic made me HUNGRY for some blue crabs Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: