FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

smoking a bottom flat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leebob

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21 12 7:49 pm    Post subject: smoking a bottom flat Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm a rookie from Pennsylvania, but I Looove my BBQ. Just thought I'd throw this out there to anyone interested.
A good friend has a substantial pit beef operation and I asked him onetime which cut of meat he uses. He told me "bottom flat". I had never heard of this but thought I'd give it a try. At under $3/lb. I couldn't go too far wrong. Got a 14 pounder at the local butcher shop and cut it in half. Then I got online to look for help. Nothin' but bad vibes there..."too lean for a smoker"..."dries out"..."no flavor"..."tough as nails"...and on and on. I thought.."uh,oh"! Then I got to thinkin', any piece of meat is worth a good shot at BBQ, so I trudged on. Here's what I did:
There was NO Fat, so didn't have to trim it.
Injected a whole can of beef broth throughout the roast.
rubbed it first with some good olive oil, then with my "secret dry rub".
Brought the smoker up to 220 degrees with some applewood chunks.
Set the roast in a pan with 1/2" of water and chopped garlic.
Smoked it for 2 hours @ 220 and flipped it over once.
Took it off @ 140 degrees internal and let it rest for 45 minutes. It was nice and pink throughout.
Sliced it real thin.
My wife and I ate almost the whole thing that same day! We couldn't stop pickin' at it. Now, I do one every now and then and make a meal out of it, then use it all week for packed lunch sammiches.

In my opinion....cheap...quick...very tasty...tender.
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22 12 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of a bottom flat, but then again I don't know chit Embarassed Laughing . Sounds really good, though. Let's see some pics!
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
leebob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22 12 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.....well.....I guess I was so proud of myself I never thought to take some pics. Will post some up of the next one fer sure...sorry. Rolling Eyes
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22 12 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leebob ~~~>

No foul on the pics...Just helps kindeeegartners like me visualize what's going on..... Very Happy
Not really sure what a bottom flat is...if it's like Baltimore pit beef, or brisket, or ?
In that case pics help....

Good description, tho !!!

Thin Sliced Roasted Beef is always a winner, in my book !!!
It's gonna say on my tombstone: Died of thick, heavy sauces ~~~~>K
" The Creepy Guy Down the Street With All The Webers"
sprayboss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22 12 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is interesting. I believe bottom flat is part of the round. I smoked an eye of round a while back and it turned out real good. I think the secret is to pull them at the proper temp. If you go to far you gotta cook it another 12 hours to get it back to tender.
leebob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23 12 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprayboss...you're exactly right! I never wudda guessed that thing would make 140 after just 2 hours @220. It's about the leanest cut of meat I've ever seen.Only had one little narrow line of gristle, but that was easy to cut out after slicing. You gotta cut it cross grain, like a brisket. I'll take some pics of the next one....mite be soon...I'm gettin' hungry for that again!
leebob

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05 12 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...here goes.....did my third bottom flat today. These things just keep comin' out good! Wife had to take it away from me 'cause I wudda ate the whole thing! Laughing I still cant get pics to load..I know I'm dumb, but I'm not stupid. It'll be all gone by tomorrow, anyway.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05 12 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what you are talking about is an "outside or bottom round flat" which comes off the hind leg of the cow.

It is a decent hunk of meat and like you said it is very lean. I have cooked a couple hundred of those things as we used them for sliced roast beef sandwiches at the resto I used to work at..

I think chuck roast or whole beef blade roast is the best for slicing thin for sammiches.. Nice amount of fat and I think the meat itself is more tender and tastier.

I agree that the temp of 140 is perfect as the meat is still reddy pink and juicy.

I smoke off over 200 lbs of chuck a week at the resto I work at now and recomend you give it a try some time..
LIAR #100
MacEggs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05 12 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Roxy said ^^^^.
Been there once or twice .... no, it's been more than that. Confused
Don't have a t-shirt .... I don't think they're offered yet.

I have never heard of a bottom flat, either.

But like sprayboss, I have smoked a few eye of rounds, too.
Cook pretty fast. I take 'em off at about 135°.
Sliced hot about a ¼ to ½ inch thick.
When it's cold, gotta slice it paper thin. Very Happy

And, yeah, we do need some pics, eh?!! Laughing Wink

The cookers (so far).
Some Weber kettles of various age, color and size
UDS & Mini UDS
Abby Normal ECB
Napoleon Propane Grill
leebob

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05 12 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosy....I'm gonna give chuck a try.....what's your thoughts?...140 ish?..smoke at 220 or higher? Couple, 3 hours?....and guys & gals, I'm sorry bout the pics....when I try to use Photobucket, it says I am missing something that I have no clue how to get.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05 12 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leebob wrote:
Rosy....I'm gonna give chuck a try.....what's your thoughts?...140 ish?..smoke at 220 or higher? Couple, 3 hours?....and guys & gals, I'm sorry bout the pics....when I try to use Photobucket, it says I am missing something that I have no clue how to get.

first.. who the he!! is Rosy..?? been called a lot of things but Rosy.. Rolling Eyes

You will be lucky to get a whole chuck up to 140 in a couple three hours at 220.. Really lucky. How bout the better part of all day at 250.. Laughing

But its worth it.
LIAR #100
leebob

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05 12 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was s'posed to be Roxy...the old fingers aint what they used to be(meaning for typing)...I'll take ur advice on the chuck. Just wonderin' why the bottom flat cooks to 140 in 2-2 1/2 hrs. and the chuck would take that much longer? BTW, this forum makes me so dam hungry, every time I get up from the chair, I go eat sumthin'!
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05 12 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering what a bottom round flat was so I looked it up.
Hello the bottom round flat is a muscle from the hip also know as outside round , pieced together with the inside round ( top )and eye of round ( middle ) the 3 muscles make up the hip ... it is fairly lean , great for jerky , stews , tenderized steak ( cube ) or slow roasted with moisture added .... this piece does not compare to a brisket and will have much less natural flavour due to lack of internal fat and marbling that the brisket has .
Source:SmokingMeatForums.com
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: