FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Double beef Ribs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22 07 10:37 am    Post subject: Double beef Ribs Reply with quote

Double Beef Ribs

In the mood for some good tasting beef ribs? Some people call these dinosaur ribs because of the size of the slabs. Myself, I enjoy making them but beef ribs from a large grocery store can sometimes be disappointing. Large retailers often sell ribs that are cut so close to the bone that you are buying mostly bone. My suggestion is to buy your ribs from a butcher or store that trims their own meat. That way you have some input as to how closely you want your ribs cut.

This recipe really plays on the beefiness of the rib. The beef base we will be using is a paste. You could use cubes, but I prefer the richness that the paste gives to the rub. We will also be applying our rub a bit differently this time around. This is because I am anticipating spritzing the ribs as they cook (which will dilute the rub) and the rub paste allows for a more moist outer covering. Finally I will be adding a mustard slather. The slather will cut the rub paste just a little and make a unique crust form on the ribs. The flavor of the mustard will disappear when you smoke meat so don’t worry about having mustard flavored ribs. Mustard in BBQ is used to hold spices and flavoring on the meat.

Wet Rub Mix
4 Tblspn Turbinado Sugar (Burns less than regular sugar)
2 Tblspn McCormick 1Step Sweet Onion and Bell Pepper spice mix
2 Tblspn Grill Creations Chicken and Rib spice mix
1 Tspn Tones Beef Base
3 Tblspn Hellmans Deli Brown Mustard

We start by removing the membrane off the back of the ribs. I normally use a butter knife to raise the membrane and slowly pull the membrane from the ribs.

Once you have the membrane started, it is easy to pull it off in large pieces.]

Mix the entire contents in a bowl till a past consistency is formed. Apply the rub past masking sure that you have rub in all crevices on top and on the sides of the ribs.

There is no need to apply rub to the bottom of the ribs.
After you have the rub applied. Squirt on a generous portion of the brown mustard to the top of the ribs.

Rub the slather on the ribs making sure that all portions of the top are covered.

Place the ribs in a preheated smoker at 250 degrees.
These are large ribs so I am using my Alien Bolo to move them to the cooking chamber.
You want to place the ribs in the smoker in such a position that allows the thicker side to be closer to the hotter side of the smoker.

As you can see, two racks of ribs almost take up the entire grate on one side of the SnP.
Spritiz the ribs with a 3-3-3 mixture of Extra Virgin Olive Oil / Apple Cider / Rum or Jack Daniels every 30 minutes to an hour.

Once the ribs are done (in about 4-5 hours at 250 degrees) they will be the consistency of your palm pad (on your hand.) You could try and take their temp, but the meat is so close to the bone, you will get different reading every time. I normally just start looking at them (tasting) after the four hour mark and then determine if they need longer to cook.

Today is a treat for me. I am trying out my new “Rib Buster”. This BBQ tool is designed to split the joint bone in ribs by applying pressure on its sharpened edge. I would normally use a knife, but this tool allows you to use two hands on the tool to control placement of the sharpened edge.

All I have to do is put a little pressure on the handle and the ribs literally “PoP” as they split in half.

As you can see, these ribs are not “wet” ribs dripping with BBQ sauce. However, they are moist, have a good smoke ring and a decent crust from the rub paste and mustard slather.

smokin Jim
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22 07 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure looks good from here Alien. Making me hungry and it's too late to start the cooker. Laughing
VC5007 gasser
KCBS CBJ
ceedubya
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23 07 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife LOVES beef ribs, and I being the worthless pork loving husband I am, have not made them for her in a good long while. Looks like I have some cooking to do this weekend.

How do I get the Rib Buster?
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23 07 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post Alien! I like hte idea of using base as a paste. Sounds good! What did you think about it, how did it compare to normal?
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23 07 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it a lot. I put my sauce on the side, but really didn’t use it because the past rub was good by itself. BTW did your “Rib Buster” arrive? Also I will be in Overland park in April.
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23 07 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet, probably gonna get here today! Can't wait to try it out. Cool Give me a shout sometime in April when you're up here if you have the time. We can go grab some good Q.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23 07 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be April 2-3
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23 07 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I should be here that weekend as far as I can tell.

Got the package last night. Sweet tools. Cool The wife asked why I ordered a machete, she just doesn't get it. Rolling Eyes I mean, it doesn't even look like a machete I explained, she was convinced it is a machete. Confused The Rib Buster looks like it is ready for some serious chopping action! Twisted Evil Looks like ribs will be on the menu this weekend! Razz
jessiewoodard57

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27 07 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any one is interested in the rib buster you might find it called by another name. I used one for 16 years at Dominos pizza we called it a dough scraper. You should be able to get one at any restaurant supply house.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28 07 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I got the idea from a french pastry cutter and you can buy one of those at any restaruant supply housefor about $13. The only difference is that this is not a thin flexable blade. It is made from the same thick stainless steel I use for the Alien Bolos, it also has a double sided ground edge.
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29 07 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm familiar with dough scrapers. While this may look like a dough scraper in general shape and size, this is far sturdier and better suited for chopping tough meat than a dough scraper. You really need to feel the weight of one of these and feel the edge to appreciate the difference.
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23 07 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you have the blade in the middle of a bone area and you are going to cut the bone in half
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24 07 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to cut mine off center and near the bone on one side. That way you have a lot of meat on one side and close to the bone on the other. This is just a personal preference. The rib buster easily splits the ribs and I used it on a whole chicken last night. It is not really a slicing type tool but does have a sharp enough edge to split thru different things rather quickly (which is the reason I came up with it.)
Mark H
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25 07 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien, To get a butcher to leave extra meat on this cut, is like looking up a dead horses tookas.
Figure the cost, and follow the money. What do ribs sell for? What does rib eye sell for?

Anything left on the ribs, is sold for the lower cost. It's just that simple.
There might be an opportunity to buy meatier ribs from the plate of the animal, and these would be the correct place for extra meat for all concerned, but, because of boxed beef, and pre-cut primal cuts of beef, this option will be exrememly hard to come by.

As an aside, if you are traveling to Wisconsin, please give me a heads up. I don't know if I can put you up, but with a little warning, I know I can feed you and yours.
Mark H
WBOGGS
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25 07 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking food very nice presentation. Wink
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25 07 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark H wrote:
Alien, To get a butcher to leave extra meat on this cut, is like looking up a dead horses tookas.
Figure the cost, and follow the money. What do ribs sell for? What does rib eye sell for?

There might be an opportunity to buy meatier ribs from the plate of the animal, and these would be the correct place for extra meat for all concerned, but, because of boxed beef, and pre-cut primal cuts of beef, this option will be exrememly hard to come by.

As an aside, if you are traveling to Wisconsin, please give me a heads up. I don't know if I can put you up, but with a little warning, I know I can feed you and yours.
Mark H

I know,………….. there is an actual name for the meatier cut of ribs but the name is evading me right now. Our butcher guys get a little sloppy sometimes and leaves extra meat on the bone, when I see them, I grab them. Thanks for the invite, this summer I am doing some work for Texas A&M, I don't know where they will be sending me, (no schedule yet) but for what they are willing to pay, I really don't care.
bbrook4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19 09 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My butcher explained the extra 1/2 - 1 inch of meat is called the cap. Hence he calls them ribs with the cap on. I don't know if that is technically correct or not but it works at my butcher.
vermin99

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19 09 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look awesome. Thanks for the how to. My local grocer had some beef ribs on sale real cheap so I bought some but never made them before.
Weber Q100 for camping
Near future: UDS
txkpoker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06 13 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien BBQ wrote:
Mark H wrote:

Mark H

I know,����.. there is an actual name for the meatier cut of ribs but the name is evading me right now. Our butcher guys get a little sloppy sometimes and leaves extra meat on the bone, when I see them, I grab them. Thanks for the invite, this summer I am doing some work for Texas A&M, I don't know where they will be sending me, (no schedule yet) but for what they are willing to pay, I really don't care.

Is the name you are looking for short ribs? I know that's what they call them at my local grocer, which is an Albertsons. They are sold cut into individual ribs approx 3-4" in length, but the butcher receives them as a rack with 4-5 bones of 10-12" in length. They have a ton of meat on them and at least here, the butcher will sell them to you that way if you catch him before he's trimmed them all. Good stuff for sure!
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06 13 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

txkpoker wrote:
Alien BBQ wrote:
Mark H wrote:

Mark H

I know,����.. there is an actual name for the meatier cut of ribs but the name is evading me right now. Our butcher guys get a little sloppy sometimes and leaves extra meat on the bone, when I see them, I grab them. Thanks for the invite, this summer I am doing some work for Texas A&M, I don't know where they will be sending me, (no schedule yet) but for what they are willing to pay, I really don't care.

Is the name you are looking for short ribs? I know that's what they call them at my local grocer, which is an Albertsons. They are sold cut into individual ribs approx 3-4" in length, but the butcher receives them as a rack with 4-5 bones of 10-12" in length. They have a ton of meat on them and at least here, the butcher will sell them to you that way if you catch him before he's trimmed them all. Good stuff for sure!

Regular beef ribs are from the back to the middle of the steer and can be like 16-17 inches long, but most are cut down to like 6-7". Part of these are what you see on the back of a standing rib roast or prime rib. Thats why they are hard to find meaty because they try and cut as much meat from the bones as possible to get more ribeye steak prices.

Short ribs are from the lower plate area. These take a long time to cook even if you braise them. But, goooood eats for sure when done right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: