FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What water pressure for my home??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26 12 4:20 am    Post subject: What water pressure for my home?? Reply with quote

We just recently bought a new home and it is on a well. The water pressure is decent but the showers seem a little low to me. I switched heads and that helped some. I got under the house today and assuming the gauge is working correctly it is going up to between 40 and 50 and the low end is just under 25 PSI. The house was built in 2004 and I know the builders are reputable. Is there room for me to raise the pressure up a little or do I need to live with it. Assuming I could go to 60 PSI at the high end would I notice a difference between 50 and 60? I know some people say the higher the pressure the more likely you are to find leaks. Obviously I am not going to crank it up to 80 or 100 but is 60 or so PSI asking too much or is this normal in most cases.
Thanks
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26 12 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check with Drunk Plumber.
#3 LIAR
morick
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26 12 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

look on the net for a manufactures manual it will tell you how to adjust it. i remember a smaller spring adjuster to equalize the pressure between the high psi and the low. Could also be you need a bigger tank. i know you dont want your pump to cycle alot.
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26 12 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you can bump it up i run 45/ 60 and i remove the watersaver orifice out of my fixtures. you want to get that 25 psi up .
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26 12 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure your tank is rated for the higher pressure first. and adjust the bladder to 2 psi below cut in pressure. then set your pressure control.in that order. usually 3 switches you get are ......20/40......30/50......40/60. hope this helps solve your problem.
Rocko-la
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26 12 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a volume issue. My house in TX had 3/4in main loop for the softener. I checked the newer houses being built and it looked like they had 7/8. I never liked the water pressure in that house, 2 people taking a shower was not a good idea.

On the flip side, when we had the inspection done on our current house in CO, the inspector said that the water pressure was 90psi! I had a plumber come out and install a regulator, run a gas line for the dryer, and move the dryer vent from the Left to the Right side (you want the dryer on the Right for front loaders).
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26 12 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I have been reading on line and there seems to be some confusion. I know the larger screw is used to increase the cut off pressure. Some people say the small spring does not really need adjusted. They say for example that if it is currently set at 30-50 and I increase the pressure to 60 it will automatically raise the low end to 40, keeping it at a 20 pound difference. Some people say I need to adjust the small screw as well and that will raise the cut in pressure. Tomorrow I am going back under the house so I can see what brand it is and try to find a manual.
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26 12 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are correct with your explanation. the little screw is your differential. need to do the pressure in the bladder if you change the set point. It is done with power off to pump, and all water pressure released. then set at 38 psi...(if tank and switch are rated for it) and you use 40/60 as your cut in cut out. good luck
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26 12 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again!
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27 12 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your pressure will be limited by the size main running into the home. It should be about 1". 3/4" will usually be the heating lines on a hot water heat system and 1/2 will be the regular lines. This chart should help you a bit:

http://www.terrylove.com/watersize.htm

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28 12 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got under the house today and got the pressure increased. I shut the system down and got the air pressure in the tank at 38 PSI. Then turned the water back on and got it to 40 60. Seems a lot better. Funny thing is our electric company gave us a box of goodies, one of which was a low flow shower head. I didn't even try them because I figured they would be awful. I stuck one on today and it worked better then the ones I bought at Lowes.
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28 12 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad that it worked out for you. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: