FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Biggy" sized WSM clone
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22 12 2:14 am    Post subject: "Biggy" sized WSM clone Reply with quote

I have this laying around. Little brother has suggested turning it into a super sized WSM clone.

DSCF0618 by jsmootz, on Flickr

Oddly enough, at 60" tall and 30" diameter it is nearly exactly proportional to his 18-1/2" Weber. Could it be so simple as to make a scale replica? I am guessing no but am seeking input.

Could be a fun project.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22 12 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: "Biggy" sized WSM clone Reply with quote

smootz wrote:
I am guessing no but am seeking input

All I have to offer at this time is will it come with custom steps and a engine hoist to raise the lid? Wink Very Happy Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
Huntin Smoke

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22 12 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made something similar and it works really well. It was cheaper than building a horizontal somke at the time and it is a big space saver.

smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22 12 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: "Biggy" sized WSM clone Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:

All I have to offer at this time is will it come with custom steps and a engine hoist to raise the lid? Wink Very Happy Laughing

That was my first thought as well. Actually at 6'1 I can reach halfway down in it pretty easily. (The photo makes it appear larger than it really is). And hinging the lid and adding a little assist seems feasible too. A clean-out port on the bottom would substitute for the removable bottom on the WSM.

Biggest unknowns are intakes, exhaust, distance to grates, water pan. etc. I know enough from lurking that uprights don't really relate to the available calculators. Since this thing will probably stay in the family or my garage I can experiment and play with it. Maybe the logical thing would be to put in oversize fittings and start choking it down until it works right.
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22 12 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huntin Smoke wrote:
I made something similar and it works really well. It was cheaper than building a horizontal somke at the time and it is a big space saver.

Very cute - I like it.

My hope is to build something that looks so much like a WSM that people will think I pumped one up on steroids. Very Happy
MacEggs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22 12 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on what you have built so far, I don't think you will have any worries.

If you are not satisfied with it,
then I will cross the border and dispose of it immediately. Very Happy Smile Very Happy Wink

The cookers (so far).
Some Weber kettles of various age, color and size
UDS & Mini UDS
Abby Normal ECB
Napoleon Propane Grill
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22 12 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smootz, if you put hinges and a counterweight on the door then it is no longer a clone it is just another upright. Wink
At 6'1" you should be able to handle the lid with no problem I would however see about a fireman's suit in your size they can handle those temps. Oh and go with spinners on the intakes not screw outs. The screw outs will further detract from the WSM clone process. Razz Very Happy Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22 12 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
smootz, if you put hinges and a counterweight on the door then it is no longer a clone it is just another upright. Wink
At 6'1" you should be able to handle the lid with no problem I would however see about a fireman's suit in your size they can handle those temps. Oh and go with spinners on the intakes not screw outs. The screw outs will further detract from the WSM clone process. Razz Very Happy Laughing

Yep - spinners for sure - gotta do some thinkin on the lid. This is probably not going to be marketable, more of a toy but with this much effort invested I do want it to cook. Thus the concerns about intake and exhaust volumes.
M Phil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22 12 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huntin smoke, that thing is freakin awsome looking!
Pappy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23 12 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: "Biggy" sized WSM clone Reply with quote

smootz wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:

That was my first thought as well. Actually at 6'1 I can reach halfway down in it pretty easily. (The photo makes it appear larger than it really is). And hinging the lid and adding a little assist seems feasible too. A clean-out port on the bottom would substitute for the removable bottom on the WSM.

Biggest unknowns are intakes, exhaust, distance to grates, water pan. etc. I know enough from lurking that uprights don't really relate to the available calculators. Since this thing will probably stay in the family or my garage I can experiment and play with it. Maybe the logical thing would be to put in oversize fittings and start choking it down until it works right.

Instead of lifting the lid like a WSM, you could rotate the lid with a barrel hinge. It could lift and rotate off to the side.
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23 12 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing is becoming obvious. Though it is possible to build an EXACT replica it may be smarter to build a WSM "based" clone. I will try to limit and/or hide as many of the changes as I can.

First part is a compromise:

Bottom clean-out instead of a removable bottom dome. It would just not be feasible to go get the forklift every time I need to empty ashes.

DSCF0713 by jsmootz, on Flickr

DSCF0715 by jsmootz, on Flickr

DSCF0717 by jsmootz, on Flickr

DSCF0719 by jsmootz, on Flickr

Bolts will be replaced with some sort of wing nut/bolt later.

Oh CRAP KAM !! I've barely started and have already contaminated it with bolts. Very Happy
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23 12 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smootz wrote:
Quote:
Oh CRAP KAM !! I've barely started and have already contaminated it with bolts. Very Happy

Typical Rolling Eyes
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23 12 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: "Biggy" sized WSM clone Reply with quote

Pappy wrote:

Instead of lifting the lid like a WSM, you could rotate the lid with a barrel hinge. It could lift and rotate off to the side.

Nice thought Pappy and thanks for the input. However the lid (dome) would have to lift off the flange and another 8 - 10 inches before swinging to clear the food on the top grate. Maybe I'm not seeing what you're saying.

KAM, I'm pretty sure you were teasing me but a little dedicated hoist may be the ticket.

Anyway there is a lot to do before I get to the lid.

Right now I am a little surprised at the Weber vents. Most every build I have seen here aims to place the vents below the fire grate. This Weber 18-1/2 has the three holes just above the grate. Is this an older cooker, a Weber engineering flaw, or is this how it should be?

BTW - I guess I am going to just up-size the vents to scale. If they are too big I can close them down. If too small I can weld the holes and start over.

Last edited by smootz on Tue Oct 23 12 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23 12 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smootz, I wasn't kidding the lid is gonna be a pita to manipulate. Hinges and a counterweight make more sense if your base can stand the offset weight and not tip over. That is a big concern of mine, what the lid does to the cooker stability once it moves off center, couple that with the added weight to raise it and you could have a mess on your hands.
As far as intakes yes they are above the grate but the ring places the coals at and above the three intakes. Everything works together to complete the burn slow and steady.

Hybrid Cooker
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23 12 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lid is definitely the biggest (no pun intended) obstacle but surmountable.

Thanks for the input on the intakes. I was seriously considering lowering them slightly until you spoke up.

I ran the numbers on this size tank. Up-sizing the vent holes by 67% would change the 3/4" holes to 1-1/4". Actual combined si of all three vents would be very close to the calculator's advise for a horizontal of this size so I should have a surplus of O2 while staying physically proportional to the WSM. In short, I will have more than enough flow and the capability to cut it down to zero.

I'm getting a little excited about this project. I had better come down to earth and finish the horizontal that is 90% done Embarassed
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24 12 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smootz have a slide gate suggestion for you. we use them on ash conveyor systems. since you all ready have it welded out i'll give you a modified version. in pic #717 top plate gets same hole as bottom plate. in between both plates is what we call a frying pan. flat plate with handle. cap screws get longer with springs on them......don't need heavy compression just enough to make a seal. your mod will be a hole for your fourth bolt thru pan since it is already welded and tapped. ours have the tapped holes wider so pan slips between them.......sorry for the long post.
Charro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25 12 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about splitting the dome - think orange segments. Half the dome opens right, the other left? I've seen your work, you can do it.

Back yard offset

Last edited by Charro on Thu Oct 25 12 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25 12 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charro wrote:
How about splitting the dome - think orange segments. Half the dome opens right, the other left? I've seen you're work, you can do it.

+1 would like to see a telescope observatory look Cool
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25 12 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Ha! Ha! Let's challenge Scottie!!!!

The slide gate gave me one of those "Why didn't I think of that" moments. I'm going to have to see if it is easier to adapt to the flange I already put on or cut it off and start over. BTW - Maniac I havn't figured out how to view your photo.

Splitting the dome is a really cool idea and would probably be an attention getter. It will be a trick to get everything to seal. Swinging out like an observatory would be so trick but I am think that splitting it and hinging each side to lift individually from the center might be more feasible. May even have minimal merit as a way to check food without opening all at once.

.Let's see - hydraulic power unit and cylinders, a few solenoids, limit switches, stepper motors, ----- Just kidding!

Smile
4ever3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25 12 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Charro! Split it!

Oh and what about instead of hydraulics why not use steam generated from the fire box? Hmmmm? Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: