FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

i tried cooking a hot and fast brisket.....my thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
metronome

PostPosted: Fri May 03 13 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't this all have to do with the fact that braising and slow smoking both result in the breakdown of collagen and connective tissue, thereby imparting the "fall apart" tenderness required for these cuts of meat. Just 'cause the 200 d. internal is reached, doesn't mean it's going to be tender. Not enough time has elapsed.
Just my 2-1/2 cents
txkpoker

PostPosted: Tue May 21 13 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metronome wrote:
Doesn't this all have to do with the fact that braising and slow smoking both result in the breakdown of collagen and connective tissue, thereby imparting the "fall apart" tenderness required for these cuts of meat. Just 'cause the 200 d. internal is reached, doesn't mean it's going to be tender. Not enough time has elapsed.
Just my 2-1/2 cents

This is the theory I subscribe to, though I can't say I've done brisket hot & fast to compare.
Sailor Kenshin
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 21 13 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did once, though not on purpose.

Shoe leather. Sad
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 22 13 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done it a few times hot and fast, and I think it only really works well, when you have better quality briskets, i don't find it working well with select grade, or even with a lot of the choice briskets I've cooked would not do well hot and fast.

Some choice will cook well enough hot and fast, but I would like to see good marbling though the meat, prime and wagyu are much more likely to cook well under hot and fast conditions!

JM2C!

I still work here!
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21 13 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an older thread, but I'd like to chime in with my $.03 (inflation and all Laughing ). I have to agree with SoEzzy about grades of meat and cooking temps to get a tender brisket. In my limited experience with briskets (I've only cooked approx 20 packers), I've noticed that when I cook a Select brisket, it must be cooked slow (220-230). Choice can go higher (240-260) and Prime can take the heat cranked up. I've only done 1 Prime (expensive around here Evil or Very Mad ) and I cooked it at 300ish. Wasn't planning on that high of a temp, but turned it out great. I also have never foiled or panned, and that makes a difference.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Hot & Fast All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: