FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UPDATE: Sons cancer benefit cook... Pulled Pork thoughts....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtmgooser

PostPosted: Sep 18 2012    Post subject: UPDATE: Sons cancer benefit cook... Pulled Pork thoughts.... Reply with quote

Little back ground first..

June 8, 2012 - My 17yr old son (JT) was diagnosed with stage 4 non-hodgkins lymphoma which has taken up residence in his right iliac (hip) bone. Spent a week in the hospital (Helen Devos Childrens Hospital in Grand Rapids, MI which is about an hour drive from our house) and started R-CHOP chemotherapy on June 15th. Has been receiving treatment every 21 days ever since. Expenses are mounting so family friends decided to put on a benefit to help off-set what insurance isn't covering.

Fast forward to last week...

Benefit organizers asked if I would be interested in smoking about 100lbs of boston butt for pulled pork sandwiches... "HELL YEA" I responded, anything to help out. So now comes the reason for my post... foil or no foil? I've been researching on the forum and I'm seeing more and more people are opting no foil until resting time and then I'm seeing just as many foiling at around 160 internal temp and then finishing off foiled until desired internal temp is achieved (approx 200 degrees) then resting. Can someone please explain the reasoning behind the 2 different methods. I sure don't want to disappoint the benefit organizers or anyone that attends. I have enough stress in my life right now, sure don't want to add to it by offering substandard pulled pork.

This smoke will take place this Friday and the benefit is on Saturday the 22nd.

Thanks and God Bless..
George

UPDATE: Your / our prayers have been answered.... Just got the pathology report back from yesterdays surgery and my son is officially in remission. NO MO CHEMO!!! He will continue to get imaging every 90 days for about 18 months but it appears as though this battle has been won. Thank you all for the support, prayers and well wishes.... What a journey it has been. OH... the benefit was a huge success as was the pulled pork.

George

Last edited by gtmgooser on Sep 27 2012; edited 1 time in total
G Spot BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sep 18 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your son. My wife was diagnosed with the same thing only stage 2. Hers showed up in her tonsil first. Same treatment R Chop every 21 days followed by 20 radiation treatments. We are hoping she is clear now but we have about 4 more years to go before we can say cured!

Stay positive as this is a very treatable disease. Go to the Lukemia/Lymphoma society web site. They help people financially with medical bills.

Now as far as your pulled pork goes I actually pan mine when they reach 165. I put them in a pan and cover with foil. This does 2 things. Helps speed the cooking time and you save a ton of those wonderfull juices that would otherwise drip to the bottom of the smoker.

Once they hit 195 or so I pull them off wrap in foil and put in a cooler for a couple hours or even overnight. They practically pull themselves!

Good luck to you going forward!
Mish
BBQ Super Fan

Foil is a preference. If you want more bark don't foil. If you want to cook a bit faster foil around 160 degree's. Either way you can turn out some fine pulled pork.
30in Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

Sorry to hear about your son. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family for a complete recovery.

I only foil when I'm getting behind and want to speed up the cook, or the butt was trimmed too much (of fat) so it doesn't dry out. There's no right answer of foil vs no foil. It's whatever you prefer. Good luck!
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Mainely Smoka
BBQ Fan

George-

Sorry to hear about your son.

May I suggest that you cook and pull on Friday. Pan it up and fridge and then reheat with a bit of Apple juice on Saturday and serve. With 100lbs of butt I am guessing around 5-6 large pans tops of final product. I have done this numerous times and it comes out great no complaints from the masses. I hope this helps

PS. I dont foil my butts I want the bark for beans
Chef
BBQ Pro

Sorry to hear about your boy. He and your family will be in our prayers.
Smokepit

Sorry to hear about your son. I have a friend who's son was diagnosed with the same thing a few years ago it was a long road but he has kicked its butt. Keep your chins up and stay positive, it will help alot. As far as the pork goes I like bark so no foil for me. Good luck!
GF
BBQ Super Pro

gtmgooser, I'd suggest cooking them the way you are most comfortable, I wouldn't try something unfamiliar with 100 lb.'s of butts. Wink

I'm sure you'll turn out some outstanding pork, however you cook it. Very Happy

Best wishes and prayers for your son.
erniesshop
BBQ Super Pro

George , our best wishes for your son !

Just do what feel's right.........and your cook will be Awesome ! And you don't need any foil..........
Skidder
BBQ Super Pro

Prayers sent. Everyone has given enough pork info
Tim_Abrahamson
BBQ Super Pro

Mainely Smoka wrote:
George-

Sorry to hear about your son.

May I suggest that you cook and pull on Friday. Pan it up and fridge and then reheat with a bit of Apple juice on Saturday and serve. With 100lbs of butt I am guessing around 5-6 large pans tops of final product. I have done this numerous times and it comes out great no complaints from the masses. I hope this helps

PS. I dont foil my butts I want the bark for beans

+1 - If you are not used to cooking in that quantity it will take a bit of the stress out of it. No two butt ever cooks the same. Some take 8 hour some take 18... you never know!

Oklahoma Joe Longhorn
Big Green Egg
Former Pitmaster Gates and Sons BBQ (KC)
Toga
BBQ Super Pro

Sorry to hear about your son. Please do your best to keep his spirits up during the awful treatments.

I use foil. I find it steams it and makes it fall apart nicely and in less time + holds in the juices to keep it extremely moist. I have done it both ways and prefer to foil. If doing a large cook I would certainly foil just to make things easy and cut down on cook time.

UDS
ECB x2
Gasser
markz

PostPosted: Sep 19 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your son. My nephew - also 17 - has been dealing with L/L for almost 3 years now and doing great. Tell him to hang in there - it gets better. The treatments are tough at times but pretty darn amazing as well.
gtmgooser

Thanks for all the well wishes guys... certainly isn't anything a parent can prepare themselves for so we are taking it day by day. We did receive a bit of a set back yesterday while reviewing his progress, Oncologist says the iliac (hip) bone has been damaged and will require further investigation so he is scheduled for surgery next Tuesday. Will put him out of commision for a couple weeks and then they will resume chemo.... He's certainly handling all this much better than mom and dad but we're keeping a stiff chin and not showing our cards in front of him.

As for the butts... I've decided that I'm going to foil 1/2 and bark up the other half. Sounds like I can get the best of both worlds and with any luck I'll make the masses happy with the end product.

Thanks again for the input and suggestions... Friday will be here before I know it (yes, smoking on Friday, pulling Friday night and then reheating Saturday).. Hope my Big Rons order gets here in time. Very Happy

God Bless,
George
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

George, thoughts and prayers go out to your son my Friend. I hope and pray all goes well and Good Luck with your cook.

All the best,
Kevin

Hybrid Cooker
gtmgooser

PostPosted: Sep 21 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
George, thoughts and prayers go out to your son my Friend. I hope and pray all goes well and Good Luck with your cook.

All the best,
Kevin

Thanks k.a.m., we appreciate all the well wishes and I'm actually looking forward to seeing everyone at the benefit this weekend. Don't like the circumstances but none the less, seeing friends and family never gets old.

George
gtmgooser

PostPosted: Sep 27 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the support and well wishes...

George
Manana
BBQ Super Pro

good to hear he's in remission. Glad the benefit went well.

I hope he stays healthy
The artist formerly known as Liar #95
(until beertooth whined) NOW Liar #96
Char-Griller Smokin Pro w/SFB
Char-Griller Akorn Kamado
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

AWESOME news, George!!! I'm talking about the kid, even though the PP came out good, too Laughing .
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

Answered prayers sure do taste sweet, dont they!!!! Even better than that pork I am confident [ though I'm sure the pork was great] I am thrilled for your son, you and your entire family! Give him a hug from The Ring please!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: