FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The saga. k.a.m.'s cooker build.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04 14 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

riseabove50, my cooker has a slide damper between the main chamber and the warming chamber. This allows me to use the warmer for a cooking chamber.
Here are some pics that may help.

Hybrid Cooker
riseabove50

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04 14 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and just for my own clarification: when you open that dampener, that's when you can get the warming box up to 150-175? or can it get even hotter?

Also, the sacrificial plate you mentioned: does that serve basically as a heat filter between the fire box and warmer so it doesn't get hotter? could that be removable in case you did want more heat in the warming box? I'm not sure I understand exactly what that would be for otherwise. sorry, just trying to get familiar with the "technology" behind a smoker build.

thanks again for the education.
Mark
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05 14 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

riseabove50 wrote:
and just for my own clarification: when you open that dampener, that's when you can get the warming box up to 150-175? or can it get even hotter?

Also, the sacrificial plate you mentioned: does that serve basically as a heat filter between the fire box and warmer so it doesn't get hotter? could that be removable in case you did want more heat in the warming box? I'm not sure I understand exactly what that would be for otherwise. sorry, just trying to get familiar with the "technology" behind a smoker build.

thanks again for the education.
Mark

riseabove50 wrote:

Mark, with the damper closed it is just a warmer. When the damper is open I also open the warmers exhaust and close off the cooking chambers exhaust. This causes the warmer to heat up in the 225° to 250° area for cooking.
My cooker is a hybrid, I can use it as a reverse flow, regular cooker, or a cooker with tuning plates.

riseabove50 wrote:

The sacrificial plate is just that. It protects the top of my firebox from premature deterioration do to the heat. Basically it takes the brunt of the heat that the top of the firebox gets. The 1" air gap is to prevent rust from build up between the two plates, the heat smoke can travel between it I do not have it welded in solid on all sides.
Here is a pic that may help.

Hybrid Cooker
riseabove50

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05 14 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent. makes perfect sense. what a great idea. thanks again KAM. getting a really good idea of what I want in my smoker. now I just need to find someone that can build it for me on the cheap but not skimp on quality.
GreenSmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22 14 7:16 am    Post subject: Simply amazing........ Reply with quote

Sir!

Homemade Offset 30 x 30
UDS
Rocket Stove
Liar #92 or is that my age or my IQ or my shoe size or the sum total for all of them?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23 14 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Steve. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Rayzer
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23 14 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a journey this post has been.. Absolutely amazing. I couldn't stop looking. Watching the build come together from rough steel to finished build was a treat.

Great job K.A.M.!
Weber Kettle
Liar #34. Honest!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23 14 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Rayzer. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Camper Bob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23 14 10:10 pm    Post subject: Cooker Reply with quote

Mere words fail me. What a fantastic journey. I guess I should have paid more attention in Metal Shop in high school. I have trouble drawing a straight line with a ruler. I am sure you are enjoying the fruits of your labor. Bravo!! I am curious on how you use it. Do you use it commercially, or just for large family gatherings? After using it for a while, would you change anything? I can only add, use it in good health.
LEM #5 Meat Grinder
LEM 5# Vertical Sausage Stuffer
Cookshack Model SM025 Electric Smoker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24 14 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Camper Bob. Very Happy
We compete mostly with her. We also do some catering and benefits.
I am very happy with her as is, but at times I do wish I had gone with a slightly larger trailer.

Hybrid Cooker
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05 14 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAM, I scanned your post but I didn't come across if you had posted the size of the cc? I just bought a 120 gallon, it looks close the the size of your cc.

Awesome build!

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05 14 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Bkndsdl. Very Happy The cooker started as a 250 gallon propane tank. I removed one elliptical and added my coffin door.
Actual cooking area is 50" wide x 30" deep on the bottom grate.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06 14 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Thank You Bkndsdl. Very Happy The cooker started as a 250 gallon propane tank. I removed one elliptical and added my coffin door.

Help it does, thank you for the quick response sir!

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06 14 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bkndsdl wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:

Help it does, thank you for the quick response sir!

You are very welcome. Very Happy
I will add that the actual cooking area does not include the left elliptical, it is still intact. I was referring to my grate space not total volume of my chamber, my cooker door is 50" wide. There is still area to the left and right that makes up the total volume of my chamber.

Hybrid Cooker
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06 14 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotcha.

May I ask why you did a hybrid? Which do you feel you use the most, the tuning plates or RF? Trying to decide which way to go with mine, I for sure want tuning plates and a warmer/cooker box above the firebox, just don't know if I would use a RF for anything. I know that I've heard RF will eat up a lot more wood, do you find this to be true?

Thank you sir for your time.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06 14 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I started the Hybrid idea back around '08 when a member couldn't decide which way to go so I said just build one that will cook both ways. The idea kinda took off and a lot of members have put their own twist to it. Trailerbuilder and Wreckless build them and they use both exhausts with the plates open, they have learned their cookers and know how to work them this way.

When I built Bahama Mama I wanted the option to cook both ways knowing that I would most likely only cook with my tuning plates.
I designed my plates to lock together creating a tight seal when in the R/F mode.

When I finished Bahama Mama I cooked R/F only to learn how she would cook, this took about 3 cooks to get accustomed to her.
Once I learned the R/F mode I switched to tuning plates and have never looked back, I prefer cooking with plates.
In my opinion a well built R/F does not use much more wood than any other cooker of equal size.

My son-in-law burns about as much as I do during a cook off. They do require a bit more time to heat up and that relates to maybe one or two extra splits, after that they are about even on splits.

Hybrid Cooker
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06 14 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That helps a lot, KAM. I think I'll stick with the tuning plates after hearing your take.

Speaking of splits - I noticed your warmer is a bit smaller than your firebox, which creates a small ledge on top of the firebox. Is that to warm up splits before they go into the fire?

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06 14 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a perfect world Mike the warmer would have been the same width as my firebox. The warmer dimensions are what I had left from my plate supply after giving Whiteboycustom a piece for his deflector plate on his DP clone.
I am just short for placing a full pan in sideways which would have allowed me to hold six pans instead of just three.

As it is I have never missed going wider and the warmer holds a perfect temp of 140° to 160° when I am cooking.
I place my splits below the first shelf in the warmer, I can keep six splits warm in there.

Hybrid Cooker
Smokedup

PostPosted: Sun May 31 15 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly amazing build.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03 15 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Smokedup. Very Happy It was a fun build and I truly enjoy cooking on her. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: