FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The saga. k.a.m.'s cooker build.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22 12 7:50 pm    Post subject: The saga. k.a.m.'s cooker build. Reply with quote

This is a condensed version of my build. I was asked to condense the build to my information so that members may learn from my experiences. The entire build took me roughly 25 months to complete. The build was a work in progress as I had no real time line and through the years many projects took precedence.
If you would like to post a comment on my project please do so here.
http://thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43134

August 22, 2010 my steel arrived.
The guys delivered my steel today for my next build. I have a few things to complete before I start.
I need to put their canopy on and build a few Deer lease essentials. They are delivering the rest of my
decking plate and expanded metal next week.
Another cooker in the making.

November 16, 2010
The ring is anxious but I am very busy so I gave my Friends a pic.
ckone, Charlie called me the other night and I had tears in my eyes laughing about this. So this one is for you. Laughing

Cody my Friend, I wish y'all were closer for when this one kicks off.
Very Happy

Smokenstein, Patience my Man. Laughing

HarvestMoon, I wish I could use that excuse but Debbie and I have not hunted in about 4 or 5 yrs.

Charlie, you old Cranky Buzzard this one is for you two. Razz Laughing

Well I got a little done this evening, working hard cause of the dark. Razz

Here is the results. Razz

Janruary 22,2011
The trailer build.

Debbie and I started building the trailer today we got quite a bit accomplished. Very Happy

The official first arc of the build.

A couple of action shots during the day.

And y'all recognize this I hope. Laughing

Janrary 24, 2011
Yesterday I finished out the underside welding along with the spring hangers then we flipped the trailer. C.J. Thank You for the helpVery Happy
The trailer just before flipping.

I finished out the welds and it was on to the decking.

This is what I had by end of the day.

Februrary 12, 2011
Debbie and I had a good day today working on the canopy frame. I still need to weld it out but the frame is in place except for our wings.
We started with leveling the trailer body.

My baby is a good helper. Very Happy

These pics were needed because you have to know Debbie hates ladders, but she was a real champ about getting the job done. Very Happy

Tacking on the end caps.

Here is where we are as of tonight.

Debbie say's Hey who needs gloves. Laughing

Tomorrow I am cooking a smoked turkey gumbo so I am not sure what will get done on this end of the house. Pics of the gumbo tomorrow.
Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker

Last edited by k.a.m. on Tue Jun 25 13 12:14 pm; edited 4 times in total
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22 12 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Please do not post to this. Reply with quote

Februry 27, 2011
Saturday C.J. and I built the wings for the canopy and got them mounted we also got the axles on and tires mounted and on the trailer.
Today I built my anti theft lock, I know if some one wants the trailer bad enough they will have it but they better bring a torch. I also got most of the braces and ears mounted. I am ready to be done with this canopy. Laughing
My anti theft lock.

The canopy wings and braces.

March 14, 2011

I have been hit and miss working on the trailer but finally got ahead a bit for some pics.
I would like to Thank TrailerBuildwer and Wreckless for the many calls and Texts on steps, lights, and jacks Both Men were very instrumental in what you see.
After a lot of discussion with Wreckless and with the help of his ideas here is the foldaway step into the trailer.

Up and locked into place.

They are secured with two hitch pin keepers.

The pivot points are made from SCH 80 2" pipe and SCH 40 1.5" pipe.

The grab handles.

I decided to go with recessed lighting, Trailerbuilder suggested LED Thank You TrailerBuilder. Very Happy

I added a rear step to tie thew fender in as well as the light box.

Hole cut in the front frame for the Amber lights.

The front toe step also ties the fender front in.

The trailer jack, another recommendation by TrailerBuilder 8000# drop pin design.

My push pole assist for my canopy wings stowed in its holder.

Push pole deployed, I built this to holds the canopy up while I pin the sides safely.

Each wing has a pivot pin that the pole slides onto.

March 20, 2011

I got a bit more done this weekend I am pretty close to cutting a tank. Smile

I needed a license plate holder.

I put a handle on my hitch lock.

Flag pole holders are on.

And I built a propane tank holder, here it is open.

And with the tank installed and locked.

Hybrid Cooker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22 12 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Please do not post to this. Reply with quote

March 23, 2011
The cooker build begins.

C.J. and I cut off the end of the tank tonight and she is at my house now for a little trim work and her new home awaits. Very Happy

Here is a pic of the tank at C.J.'s house full of water.

The tank dome cut off.

A nice clean cut.

C.J. layed claim to the dome for a fire pit. Laughing

The grand kids approve. Laughing

C.J. and I unloading her at my home.

I do have some fittings and brackets to wash off and patch also push the tank back into shape, she is a little out of round but not bad.

April 10, 2011
I am at a stall point with my build.
I am working on some headache racks for my son-in-laws brothers company. I figure I will make a little money for a while instead of spending it. Wink
This is the completed rack.

They use hammer unions for the tailgate section its pretty cool.

They have male ends up front to stow the gate section when they have a tall load.

1" ball bearings on top for looks.

This is the ride she sets on. I have several more to build.

May 05, 2011
I am in a stall point with the headache racks the guys need to bring me some steel Monday. I had to fix some warping on the tank and I cut out the end plate this evening.
A bottle jack and some scrap tubing to help hold her shape.

I used some old plate I had for my end cap, it has a few pits but the outside will be covered with the warming chamber. I referenced marked it because the tank is still not perfectly round in some areas. The plate was a bit short so I positioned the short end on the bottom where the cut out for the firebox to cooking chamber opening will be.

Hybrid Cooker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22 12 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Please do not post to this. Reply with quote

May 09, 2011
This evening I finished welding out the legs. Then with the help of my Good Friend and neighbor Bubba we loaded her onto the trailer.
There are a lot of pics of the process Debbie was kinda amazed at my oilfield man can do it attitude.

This is a five part wooden block and tackle which I inherited from my Grandfather, still stout as ever.

Hybrid Cooker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22 12 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Please do not post to this. Reply with quote

May 15, 2011
Yesterday I cut out the plates for the firebox got them cleaned up and tacked together. Today I will be welding it out and hopefully fitting it to the cooker.

May 15, 2011
SoEzzy wrote:
k.a.m. did you put all 6 sides together yet?

I have some good and bad news if you did!

The bad news is one of them was going to be the door, the good news is you still have the gas ax so you can cut out the door on which ever side you want. Wink Laughing Wink

Here ya go my Friend. Very Happy

Well I got the firebox mounted to the cooker this evening, when I finished welding out the box I cut the door out.

Then I cut my opening into the cooking chamber, the angle iron is my height ledger.

Once I had her plumbed up and tacked on the corners I had to pull the middle of the cooking chamber in about 1/8".

Debbie took a few action shots of the welding process.

After all that I cleaned up and called it a day.
Rest easy my Friend.

May 19, 2011
The start of the k.a.m. door.
This evening I marked out my door it will be one door 50" wide. I cut the door like I do all my doors leaving the four corners and all middles intact until she cools. I do expect some problems as I could hear the tank moving as I cut. Laughing

The top horizontal cut is where most of the movement occurred, there is about a 1/16" raise or lower in the two.

Hybrid Cooker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22 12 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Please do not post to this. Reply with quote

May 22, 2011
Yesterday I finished cutting out the door once this was out of my way I finished cutting out the firebox to cooking chamber opening. With possible rain looming I decided to install the drain next when I finished this I moved on to the deflector, tuning plate rails and lower rack rails.

Setting the drain is pretty easy if you center punch the 12,3,6, and 9 positions this ensures your reference points are always at hand.
I first drilled a hole on the 6:00 mark over the factory weld this will allow me to take out the nasty double wall on the inside.

Next I marked off 1"3/16" inches in two directions giving me my outside edges for the nipple I then used the drill mark and two lines to place the nipple and then traced it out.

I then cut the hole with my O/A torch.

With a little clean up from a drill mounted cone shaped stone I had a nice slip fit.

I then squared up the fitting to the tank and welded the inside with 1/8" 6010 rods.

When finished I ground down the weld to give me a nice smooth area in front of the dome weld and behind it.

I then welded out the outside with one pass of 6010 1/8" and capped with a 3/32" 7018.

Here are some pics of the deflector, tuning plate rails, and the lower rack rails.

May 22, 2011

Debbie took a few action shots of me laying in the cooker, I actually called her and asked her to hand me a rod and the rest is well you can see. Laughing

Now back to the cooker.
I got the upper grate rails installed.

I set the door back on the cooker and it is not pretty. The sides and bottom are okay but the top moved a lot.

This is bad The tank pulled in and the door pulled out.

Hybrid Cooker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22 12 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Please do not post to this. Reply with quote

June 21, 2011

Okay here is what I have done for my door. After the tank went south and the door went north I decided to go another route. I discussed this with my out of state design team Thanks SoEzzy for the ideas and pushing me. Also Thanks BBQMAN and StillwellChuck for your input and experience with such set ups. Very Happy
I took my old door and basically framed it out with angle iron to make a flange type door set up. I had all the material to build this rather than buy plate for a flat door.
The door still needed help to fit the new frame.

Before I went to far I did a dry fit up to see if Debbie and I would like it.

Once we were happy I capped the door ends and started on the cooker frame work.

I built another frame to act as the mating surface for the door to rest on then once it was in position I tacked it in place.

Then I started filling in the gaps.

I need a nice transition for the bottom and chose an old cooker door that I had to cut strips out of, this made a nice long radius.

Then came a lot of welding.

Once everything was cleaned up I dry fit the door, spaced it with 3/16" shims for the gasket Thanks Chuck for the info on this.

Next came the hinges and door stops. I elected to use weld on gate hinges for all my doors on this build They are not very expensive and all the doors will match. The door stops are made from some tank parts I cut out during the process. I will be using mechanical counter weights for the door, it weighs in at about 95lbs.

I believe we are going to like the room. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker

Last edited by k.a.m. on Tue Jun 25 13 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22 12 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Please do not post to this. Reply with quote

June 26, 2011
I got most of the counter weight system set up yesterday and today.
I decided on two counter weights this allowed me to lighten each of them up a bit.
Each counter weight weighs in at 22lbs. I still need to finish up the guides and rests before welding it all out.
Setting these up was pretty tricky because of the door position, the tab on the door and Sampson post needed to be in line at the resting position as well as open.

I decided to use an old design for the posts that I have used before.

Aligning all this up was pretty tough so I had Debbie help me when it came time to tack them in place.

Here you can see the weights carry the door load pretty well.

August 22, 2011
I did work on the cooker this weekend even though I had an axle repair job on another comp. rig come up.
I finished the counter weight sleeves built the wood basket under the cooker and started the grates.
Here are some pics of the finished counter weights.
The cables you see are not the finished product merely sacrificial for working around.

The weight is almost a slip fit in the tube I added a 3/8" bolt at the bottom for safety as well as for removal purposes of the weights if need be.

Here are some pics of the wood basket.

Here are some pics of the top grate and bottom grate frames.
The top grate is full length and will be able to rest on the bottom grates for a full hog.

August 28, 2011
The temps were not as bad this morning so I went ahead and finished the lower grates and also started on the tuning plates.
The lower grates extended.

The upper grate fits nicely over the lower grates for future pig roasts.

I cut out eight 7" plates this afternoon I need to clean them up and then put the finishing edges on them.

Hybrid Cooker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22 12 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

August 31, 2011
Tonight I cut out the plates for the warming chamber. Lets see how the long weekend works for me. Laughing

September 05, 2011
I got to work on the cooker today. I finished the tuning plates and got the warming chamber welded out. I will cut and fit up the slide damper on the cooking chamber before the warmer gets put on.
The finished tuning plates closed up for R/F use.

The plates stacked and open for regular use.

The warming chamber coming together.

Got the top on and had to tweak the plates a bit.

The pieces went together nicely.

This is the penetration you get when you corner the plates.

I need to knock out the braces and clean up the tacks and then she will be ready to set on top the firebox.

September 07, 2011

This evening I got the warming chamber up and on the firebox. First I cut out the hole on the cooking chamber then set the box to align it up. Once this was done I marked the warming chamber hole and cut it out.

Got her snugged up for marking.

Ready to mark the second cut and move for cutting.

The warming camber back in place and tacked down.

The hole size is 6" wide x 5" tall.

Hybrid Cooker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22 12 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

September 11, 2011

I got the warming chamber welded out today I also installed the slide damper and drain for the warming chamber.
Pic of the drain from the inside.

The slide damper closed.

A look from the cooking chamber side.

Some open pics.

The drain from the outside.

I cut the lower edge off the nipple so a full drainage can occur.

The ball valve I will use.

October 23, 2011
I had some time to work on the firebox a little here and there.
I got the intake slide installed, I still need to build the adjuster rod.

I built the wood grate and basket along with the clean out tool and poker.

I also installed my sacrificial plate in the top of the firebox, it is hard to see but it is suspended 1/4" on the cooking chamber side and 3/4" on the far side giving me a slope to the opening. The plate is 3/8" thick.

Hybrid Cooker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22 12 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

October 30, 2011
I had time this weekend to finish the firebox.
I was a little disappointed that my hand crank idea for my intake did not pan out as I planned but I am happy with my tried and true sawtooth design.
The intake open fully.

The intake closed.

A pic of the sawtooth.

The firebox door went well and I was very pleased with the fit and finish.

The inside part of the handle latch is hot roll while the part on the outside is stainless. I use 309 SS rods to weld the two together.

The ramp on the inside for the latch to ride against.

November 27, 2011
I had a little time this weekend to start the warming box. I decided to go with dutch doors instead of one long one.

The top door will access the top and middle shelf.

The bottom door will access the lower shelf, each door is independent with no overlapping.

December 11, 2011
I got to work on the cooker today and finished up the warming box doors. I also started fitting up the exhaust adapter for the warming chamber.

The doors aligned up very nicely the welding Gods were smiling on me today. Very Happy

A pic of them open, I put drip rails on the bottom of the doors for future smoking in it.

Top open bottom closed.

Bottom open top closed and you can see the start of the exhaust adapter.

Hybrid Cooker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22 12 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

December 24, 2011
Last weekend I moved the cooker into position and welded her down then yesterday and today I mounted the stacks on the cooker. I still have to weld out two of them but the rain caught me.
Here is a pic of the cooker in place, I removed the side rails and then replaced them once the cooker was in place.

Here are some pics of the stacks. Lining up three 6" stacks is a bear.

The warming chamber adapter and stack.

The opening in the warming chamber.

Another view of the line up.

These are for SoEzzy.Very Happy

The stacks really say hey I am a cooker. Very Happy

I added some braces from the canopy to the stacks to keep them in line while I weld them out.

The front stack is welded out.

Hybrid Cooker

Last edited by k.a.m. on Tue Jun 25 13 1:29 pm; edited 9 times in total
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22 12 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janurary 02, 2012
I had time this weekend to finish the stacks and grates for the warming chamber. I also got the couplings welded in for the thermometers. My last task will be two small shelves for the digital therms and the main cooker door handles.
Here are some stack pics.

Here are some pics of the warming chamber grates.

Here are some pics of the thermometer placements.

Janurary 15, 2012
I am almost finished with the cooker I added some couplings and trays for some digital therms. I also finished the prep table. Then I moved onto the grill, it is 20" x 36"

Here are the digital therm trays.

Here are some pics of the fold down prep tray.

This is where the braces are stowed.

I also added a lip around the edge of the table.

Here are some pics of the grill door cut out.

A good clean tip produces a very nice finish.

I got the rails tacked in and the grate built.

Hybrid Cooker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22 12 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

January 28, 2012
I got the door on the grill and the inside legs tacked on last weekend then this week I got the call for two more headache racks. I needed to move the grill off my table and onto the cooker so I enlisted the help of my son-in-law and my best friends engine hoist.
Here are some pics of the grill on my table with the legs tacked on.

Here are some action pics of the grill getting placed into position.

I had to come in a bit more than I wanted to clear the wing but the two married up nicely.

From here on out it is all about making room on top so some braces and such leave and go. Wink

Here are some pics of making money.

February 12, 2012
I finally had some nice weather to finish one rack and work a bit on the cooker.
One rack complete and ready for pick up.

I have been wanting to put my handles on the main chamber so today I did just that.
Troy, Thank You for the fine work on our handles they fit perfectly.. Very Happy

I also had time to add the fender extension for the grill legs.

Hybrid Cooker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22 12 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

February 19, 2012
This evening I finished the last truck rack. I asked Debbie if she wanted to play with the cooker. I needed to build a fire in the main chamber to see if the doors and intake would tweak. We are golden. Very Happy
Here is my baby with our torch.

February 26, 2012
After my yard duties this Saturday and this morning I had some time to finish mounting the grill. I also got the exhaust plenum and handles built.

Here is the grill on all four legs.

The grill handles tacked in place.

The exhaust plenum ready for mounting.

March 25, 2012
Here are some pics of the stack.
I was just going to sneak these in. Laughing
Here is a link to Jan and my project for Saturday.
http://thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57392

I put Jan to work. Very Happy

Nice work Jan. Very Happy

Finished stack.

We also got the grate anti flippers installed and the handles welded out.

[img]http://tequilasunrisebbqteam.com/adminkam/images/saga/100_4297.JPG[/im

Hybrid Cooker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22 12 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

April 15, 2012
I finished the grill today.
The door stops are on as well as the intake. therm couplings and charcoal grate. I also caged in the lower section for storage.
I used my signature sawtooth for the intake.

The curved door stops.

Storage area.

April 29, 2012
I am ready to get the cooker painted. I know I still have some stuff to add but I need to cook on this beast and I could spend another year adding plates for lights and so on but I will just touch up the paint.
Here are some pics of the front canopy as well as the sink and stove top.
The front canopy stows inward when not in use, I added some clips that lock the braces in place they are hard to see.

Here are some pics of it stowed.

Here are some pics of the cook stove and side tray.

Here is a pic of the sink setting in its base.

I also got the passenger side step on the trailer.

From the start I was not real happy with the smokers intake, it just did not go up smoothly like I normally build. I replaced the door and handle design it is still a sawtooth.
g]

Hybrid Cooker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22 12 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May 13, 2012
While I am waiting for the painters I did a couple of other things today.
I made some t-handle plugs for the wireless thermometer holes.

I also welded up a 3/8" coupling on the back for the flame thrower quick coupling. I made a guard for it as well.

May 20, 2012
I am still waiting on the word to deliver to the painters so I decided to add some handles to my tuning plates. At first I did not want them but after moving them around while test firing its a good idea. Wink

I also built a mini me flame thrower for the trailer. I did not need my big one to light the cooker so I came up with this.

Here is a night time pic of the flame about maxed out. It is running on a 15PSI regulator. If the collector tube was a bit longer I could clean up the flame but it lights a bed of coals quite fast as is and much lighter than my light saber. Very Happy

June 12, 2012
We got our therms in yesterday. Very Happy Six Tel-Tru's, two 6" stems and four 4" stems. All with in 5ĚŠ of each other after they were opened and stable. Very Happy
Another good report is depending on weather we may have paint by the end of the week.Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker

Last edited by k.a.m. on Thu Dec 31 15 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22 12 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

June 17, 2012
I picked up my water tanks yesterday still waiting for paint.
The tanks and brake drums waiting for a home.

June 28, 2012
My son took these pics for me as the progress continues. I may get her home this weekend to set and let the Urethane on the trailer finish curing.

July 14, 2012
C.J. my son-in-law came over today and we got the roof on the cooker in between various thunder storms. I am happy with the finished product. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22 12 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

July 29, 2012
Here are some seasoning pics and some cooks along with more work on the cooker trailer.
I have been really busy and seasoning and work have kinda been mixed in together.
The first cook was a rack of ribs and a chicken.

The grill was seasoned and chicken was cooked.
First run.

Second run.
Got my temps right now.

Yesterdays brisket on the smoker.
Left side running in R/F.

Right side.

The brisket after resting.

Sliced.

The inside of the chambers after the third run.

The work continues.
I got the gutter installed the other day.

Yesterday while Debbie monitored the brisket I started piping the cook stove burners and working on the sink area.
The cook stove.

The sink area.

Hybrid Cooker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22 12 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

August 24, 2012
I can honestly say I am finished for now. Very Happy
This build has been long and fun. I want to Thank everyone that followed my progress and posted to the thread. I hope that some parts of the build have helped other members with their projects.
This past week i finished my water hook ups as well as my lighting.
Here are some pics of my fresh water and holding tank. we can hold 18 gall. of fresh water. I chose a 2.65 GPM Ecotemp tankless propane fired water heater. The pump is a Shur-flo 3.3 GPM 110 volt. water pump. Space did not allow for p-traps.

The water lines going into the faucet.

The gate valve drain.

The faucet works. Very Happy

I mounted a 120 volt outdoor breaker box for the trailer. I installed one GFCI receptacle switch combo on the wall next to it.

The switch operates the water pump.

For lights I chose 50 watt mini halogens the two sets really light up the trailer.

The grill at night.

The conduit routed under the trailer.

The conduit coming out of the trailer floor.

The light switch and double receptacle GFCI next to the prep table.

I added a SS top to the frame next to the sink for utensils.

Cooking burgers on the grill tonight. Here are some pics of the propane hookup and torch lighting the grill.

DrunkPlumber, this pic is for you. Very Happy

Well I thought I was finished.
September 2, 2013
With all the traveling Debbie and I do with the trailer I decided I needed a place for the spare tire. This weekend I added it to the cooker along with two more flag pole holders.
Spare tire holder.

Flag pole holder.

Hybrid Cooker

Last edited by k.a.m. on Tue Sep 03 13 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: