FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First uds build done! Would like flat lid though....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thunder92

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15 12 1:49 am    Post subject: First uds build done! Would like flat lid though.... Reply with quote

Ok, this is my first build and I love it. Smoked my first turkey last night and came out pretty good. Held 250 temp for 3 hours easy.

The weber lid doesn't quite fit so I assume i can roll the edges a little.

But wouldn't a flat lid enable me to use less fuel when I don't need that extra lid clearance?

Since I had to cut my lid off how would I go about modding a flat lid also?
[/img]
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15 12 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do you need a lid that fits.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49419 this has my second UDS and you can see that it has a flat lid, you can also see that the Turkey fryer thermometer is about 2 inches above the first reinforcing ring, the therm is about 1/2 inch below the grate.

If I want I can add 3 soup cans, that have had both top and bottom cut off and have a second grate still in the distance from there to the lid.

You use a small amount of extra fuel to get the pit up to temperature because of the additional volume of air to heat but it doesn't take any more to run it, (in real terms), with a flat lid or domed... except that you need a well fitted lid, a well fitted lid allows you to control the air intake and exhaust flow, and that's what controls the amount of fuel you are going to burn.

You can either roll out the edge of the dome lid, or add an internal lip to the top of the drum, that fits nicely, and makes for a better seal to keep out drafts and wind.

You are better off starting with an open top drum, that has a flat lid, than a closed top drum that you have to cut the lid out of.

Most places that sell larger number of drums will carry both, round here we can buy used lined drums from $15 -$20, you can get refurbished unlined drums for $40 - $45, and you can buy new, (unlined unused), drums for $62 - $65, so take a little time and work out which way you want to go and build a second.

I still work here!
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15 12 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lids i have are concave to sit on the drum lip....not quite sure if a welded drum is exactly the same diameter...would give it a try tho ...good luck.
KAKid
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15 12 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:

You can either roll out the edge of the dome lid, or add an internal lip to the top of the drum, that fits nicely, and makes for a better seal to keep out drafts and wind.

I find I get a better seal with an internal lip. Flat stock is readily available at home improvement/hardware stores. You can muscle it into place or have a metal shop run it thru a roller for an easier install, though I "rolled" this one using the floor and my foot.

Chargriller Outlaw w/SFB and Mods
Pair of UDS's
10 gal CI Chili/Jambalaya pot
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15 12 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAKid wrote:
SoEzzy wrote:

I find I get a better seal with an internal lip. Flat stock is readily available at home improvement/hardware stores. You can muscle it into place or have a metal shop run it thru a roller for an easier install, though I "rolled" this one using the floor and my foot.

+1 on the flatt stock. I used it and some rope gasket for a pretty darn tight fit

Modified ECB
UDS
seattlepitboss
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21 12 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm concerned the drum that a stock-standard Weber kettle fits is nonexistent. What I do is to use flat stock rolled into a ring. I weld that to the drum, then the Weber kettle lid sits perfectly on that. It only takes a few minutes and mine hardly leaks at all.

Flat lids are generally secured by ring straps (my term). These generally come with rubber gaskets. I discarded flat lids because I didn't want to deal with either no gasket or hot rubber.

Although you could probably just get by if your drum is in perfect condition, using a piece of flat steel cut in a circle a bit larger than the drum OD.

Having a lid that works correctly is huge.

seattlepitboss
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: