FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Started a 180 gallon RF today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 12 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undercarriage will be complete by tomorrow. I'll post a pic.

After that I will have to wait on a warm day for painting and final touches. (drain valve, therms, etc.)
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 12 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smootz wrote:
Quote:
Undercarriage will be complete by tomorrow. I'll post a pic.

After that I will have to wait on a warm day for painting and final touches. (drain valve, therms, etc.)

Crack the whip and get them fabricators in the shop to finish this project up, they probably have other ones to start Shocked Razz Laughing
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 12 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrailerBuilder wrote:

Crack the whip and get them fabricators in the shop to finish this project up, they probably have other ones to start Shocked Razz Laughing

Not enough profit margin in cookers to merit pulling out the big guns.
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 12 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting close now

DSCF0770 by jsmootz, on Flickr

DSCF0771 by jsmootz, on Flickr
KingKoupe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08 12 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do some of the best work I've seen Scottie, love it.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08 12 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While some on here may have considered all the machine work on a cooker overkill, I do as well and would not attempt that myself but figured...what the hell, if a guy wants to go that route, I'll follow it, a different approach, kinda cool for a one off. So...that said...what the hell is up with that trailer frame smootz? I understand keeping it simple but not with a cooker that had all the machine work. Surely that isn't all there is. I was expecting a lot more than that. Rolling Eyes Dude, yank that cooker off and build a billy bad ass
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08 12 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrailerBuilder wrote:

Quote:

smootz wrote:
Quote:
Not enough profit margin in cookers to merit pulling out the big guns.

Wreckless wrote:
Quote:
While some on here may have considered all the machine work on a cooker overkill, I do as well and would not attempt that myself but figured...what the hell, if a guy wants to go that route, I'll follow it, a different approach, kinda cool for a one off. So...that said...what the hell is up with that trailer frame smootz? I understand keeping it simple but not with a cooker that had all the machine work. Surely that isn't all there is. I was expecting a lot more than that. Rolling Eyes Dude, yank that cooker off and build a billy bad ass

This might have been a time when you should have let the "big guns" go ahead and finish what they started Shocked Razz Razz Laughing
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08 12 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it would have been nice to have gone wild on a trailer but it would have been counterproductive for it's intended use. This cooker will typically be moved about 50 feet from under a carport once a week. If not for the possibility of an occasional move across the village it would have gotten steel wheels and a wagon tongue. Space concerns in the carport dictated narrow as possible. Shelves and a wood box would have looked cool but would not have been used and would add to the weight and footprint. Structural integrity, fit, and finish are just as good as the rest of the build, just simple. New owner (in waiting) is thrilled. It will get a little fancier before completed but not much.

BBQ in southern Ohio is way different than where you are. Most people around here buy a stamped out grill at Dollar General on July 3rd and throw it away on July 5th. The upwardly motivated get a propane grill at Lowes or Walmart and use it 2-3 times a year. There are no prominent competitions and very few caterers. While a really nice competition grade pit like some of you have is impressive it would fit in here like a snowmobile in Florida.

Wreckless, You and I have a totally different definition of "machined". The vents and fire door latch spent a brief amount of time in the machine shop but everything else came from the fab side. Shearing, notching, sawing, bending is not done to show off. It is actually easy and fast for me, eliminates lots of the weldments, and shows up as good fits. This was indeed a "one off" but my mass production jobs utilize the same techniques. Less weld, less warp, less grinding ----- See, I am really sort of lazy Wink
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08 12 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smootz wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:
SCOTTIE , wouldn't cutting the exhaust hole been quicker to just grab the O/A and gitter done? Wink Very Happy

It's a character flaw. my supreme mentor (who is now 81) has imbedded in me that the mark of a superb craftsman is what his work looks like in the areas that can't be readily seen. Thus I will try to use a saw or shear whenever possible.

Thirdly, you may be quite surprised how quickly I can zip that hole out with a wafer or recipro-saw.

Fourthly, speed is not much of a factor. These cookers are a hobby. After the real work is done they are a substitute for mindless TV time. Overkill ? Probably - but it comforts my OCD.

Nooo...smootz, we don't have a totally different definition of machining, I was using it as a catchall without going into detail, let me rephrase...Machine work / fab work. My point was though, in case you missed it, was this comment in part, regarding a hand cut..."the mark of a superb craftsman is what his work looks like in the areas that can't be readily seen." Well...one is sure as hell going to see that trailer way before anything else on the inside so...back to...the use of the magnetic drill on the exhaust for example. O/A or manual plasma would have been way faster, you chose the drill for pilot holes, cool enough. Regardless of it's intended use however, or distance traveled, it did not appear you put the same effort into the trailer, and IMHO, you should have. The pit work was fun to see, the trailer...not so much. Think " Critique" rather than "Dissed" tho there was some disrespect. Like a large wart on the forehead of an otherwise pretty girl Wink Just thought you dropped the ball on the trailer in comparison to your approach on the cooker CoolI kinda figured more for your build. One last thought...structural integrity...as mentioned on a different thread, it may be nice and flat / smooth in your neck of the woods if that is c-channel i am seeing on the tongue. In my world, an off road excursion is always a possibility even if only headed "Across the Village" and that tongue would be toast. I build every one for that possibility.
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08 12 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to disappoint but the undercarriage/dolly is built this way to meet certain needs of the client. Maybe some different photo angles would bear out that it is plain but not junk. BTW - the tongue is 3/16 wall box tubing, the joints are square, the welds are smooth. More than sufficient for a 1200 lb unit and will withstand way more torque than the suspension on the pickup will transmit.

Some day I may have an occasion to build a cooker on a fancy trailer. This one didn't need it and was not desired by the client. If you need affirmation in my ability to build an elaborate trailer I would be happy to PM some photos.

And - I know you are having a difficult time believing this but I can zip that rotobroach through that plate and wafer the opening nearly as fast as you can unroll a torch and sweep the resulting slag out of the chamber. KAM put it best when he said, "some people are taught different ways to approach the same task". My ways may be different than yours but no better-no worse.

I am verging on Shakespear's observation "He doth protest too much" so I am done.

It is getting a "themed" paint job. Maybe that will appease you. Wink
Argentine BBQ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09 12 7:03 pm    Post subject: Gas torches don't belong in Fab shops Reply with quote

I am sure other's are jealous of your workmanship and have about 10% of the ability that shows in your pics.
As I used to build race cars for professional teams and can see quality and know how a mile away. I learnt my fab skills by copying off and know how of top fabricators like yourself.
You can spot the ability of a fabricator by the tools he surrounds himself with.

I sure wish I had a fab shop and access to machinery like you do!
When you have all the right equipment it sure cuts the fabrication time down and the end product is so much better.
Earlier this year I built my first smoker with a single phase arc welder and grinder, bringing home the reality of not having a shop with full set of equipment.

There's nothing wrong with the design on the trailer as it is practical, giving easy access to the pit and is not about to break anytime soon.

I like simple and clean designs, so keep it up!!

Smootz, if you are planning on coming South anytime (way South, Argentina), stop by for some beer and brisket.
Craig
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09 12 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smootz wrote:
Sorry to disappoint but the undercarriage/dolly is built this way to meet certain needs of the client. Maybe some different photo angles would bear out that it is plain but not junk. BTW - the tongue is 3/16 wall box tubing, the joints are square, the welds are smooth. More than sufficient for a 1200 lb unit and will withstand way more torque than the suspension on the pickup will transmit.

Some day I may have an occasion to build a cooker on a fancy trailer. This one didn't need it and was not desired by the client. If you need affirmation in my ability to build an elaborate trailer I would be happy to PM some photos.

And - I know you are having a difficult time believing this but I can zip that rotobroach through that plate and wafer the opening nearly as fast as you can unroll a torch and sweep the resulting slag out of the chamber. KAM put it best when he said, "some people are taught different ways to approach the same task". My ways may be different than yours but no better-no worse.

I am verging on Shakespear's observation "He doth protest too much" so I am done.

It is getting a "themed" paint job. Maybe that will appease you. Wink

Fair enough smootz. I was not screwing with you, never disregarded your fab skills with the exception of that tongue. If that is what the customer wanted, that's what he gets. As mentioned, with all that equipment,it just seemed like a waste. I guess directed at whoever chose that frame after all the work on the cooker, I am verging on a cliche " good idea, bad follow through". So I am done
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09 12 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas torches don't belong in Fab shops Reply with quote

Argentine BBQ wrote:
I am sure other's are jealous of your workmanship and have about 10% of the ability that shows in your pics.

WTF did you come up with that uninformed comment?

Argentine BBQ wrote:
You can spot the ability of a fabricator by the tools he surrounds himself with.

Seems you have that backwards and somewhat relegating smootz work to his equipment which in my book, would be an insult. Maybe that, for you, is the sign of a good fabricator. Talent comes without the equipment you surround yourself with. In the world of the "others" You can spot the ability of a true craftsman by what he can produce without the equipment. Smootz stated he has been down that road, I will trust him on that. You on the other hand may need the equipment.
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09 12 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially the tongue was to be retractable (similar to a mortar mixer). It became an issue of "nice to have" vs, "need to have". Client wants to provide smoked turkeys for Thanksgiving and wants the cooker early enough for some practice. If his business ever goes mobile we can zip this dolly off and mount the cooker on something suitable for that purpose.
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09 12 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argentine BBQ wrote
Quote:

I'm sure you don't have a clue what your talking about. Obviously in your short month on the Ring you haven't looked around and seen the dozens of top notch quality builds that makes this forum what it is. Might want to do your research before you make extremely untrue statements.

Argentine BBQ wrote:
Quote:
As I used to build race cars for professional teams and can see quality and know how a mile away. I learnt my fab skills by copying off and know how of top fabricators like yourself.

That is so far from the truth. A fabricator, a true fabricator doesn't need a shop full of equipment to build something. A fabricator can take limited resources and produce whatever he's working on. Your basically saying without the equipment even smootz isn't a fabricator without his equipment. Is there not a fabricator anywhere that wouldn't love to have a shop full of equipment and extra hands to help out? Hell, we'd all like that! But, a real fabricator doesn't need it, his abilities to work with what he has is all he needs. If you need a shop full of equipment to cut and make all your parts for you, your not a fabricator, your an assembler.

Argentine BBQ wrote:

Quote:
Posted: Fri Nov 09 12 6:03 am Post subject: Gas torches don't belong in Fab shops

Seriously? That's your best "no clue" of the day. I have one. I bet even smootz has a torch. I work in a fabrication facility that puts out over $50 million a year in product and at last count I believe their were 40 torch setups in the shop.

Seriously, do your research before you make so many untrue statements.
4ever3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10 12 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wonder this forum has a little activity as it does...
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10 12 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ever3 wrote:
No wonder this forum has a little activity as it does...

I agree - It is a shame that my little build thread has turned into a bunch of schoolboys trying to see who can pee the farthest.

What say guys - How about we all reel it in and be friends.
Argentine BBQ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10 12 6:19 am    Post subject: Good call Smootz Reply with quote

Enough with pissing in the cornflakes, it's the weekend and time to eat some BBQ. Smile

One of my comments was misconstrued : A sign of a good fabricator is the tools he surrounds himself". :
You can't expect top quality work from some working in a shop with a dirt floor and only a sledgehammer and hack saw to work with versus a clean, organised shop full of fab machines.
Sorry if I ruffled a few feathers, but I know the feeling of fabricating a product and having critical comments made when they are not warranted.

So are you going to test your newest creation and find out how much cow you can cram in that thing!
Just in time for smoking some Turkey!
All the best Smootz.
Tim_Abrahamson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10 12 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it look purtey!

The wherewithal to build a pit from scratch is something many of us merely dream about. I applaud your ability!

Oklahoma Joe Longhorn
Big Green Egg
Former Pitmaster Gates and Sons BBQ (KC)
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10 12 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Good call Smootz Reply with quote

Argentine BBQ wrote:
Enough with pissing in the cornflakes, it's the weekend and time to eat some BBQ. Smile

One of my comments was misconstrued : A sign of a good fabricator is the tools he surrounds himself". :
You can't expect top quality work from some working in a shop with a dirt floor and only a sledgehammer and hack saw to work with versus a clean, organised shop full of fab machines.

Misconstrued my ass, you pissed in a lot of hard working fabricators post toasties. Fact is, yes you can expect top quality work from a craftsman with little to work with. You freakin insulted many with the 10% comment, screw you dude.

Argentine BBQ wrote:

Sorry if I ruffled a few feathers, but I know the feeling of fabricating a product and having critical comments made when they are not warranted. .

No dude, you slammed some damn good builders. it was not appreciated and NOT WARRANTED. smootz can hold his own. He has proven this. I have no idea what rock you crawled out from under. Please try and make yourself welcome rather than trashing the rest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: