FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question on two "how tos"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RLesieur

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12 12 8:17 am    Post subject: Question on two "how tos" Reply with quote

Hi,

Just had some more fabulous Louie Mueller sausage today. I'm considering getting into sausage making and have three questions....

1) Most smoked sausage in Central Texas (and elsewhere) is fairly firm and has a solid consistency, like a hot dog. Louie Mueller's sausage is "loose" - it's crumbly and falls apart as the sausage is cut up. It is also very "wet" but not "slimy". What gives that sausage it's consistency?

2) Many sausages have what I'll call "flavour bits" throughout the sausage. Louie Mueller's is very intense throughout, like a beef stick. Is that simply a matter of how well the spices are distributed?

3) There seemed to be some amount of vinegar in the sausage. Is that a mainstream ingredient in sausage?

Thanks.
RL
Shaymus
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12 12 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People will chime in soon. My friend has a really good book that got him started. It is here- http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0393058298/ref=redir_mdp_mobile Not sure if the link will work cause it is a mobile link.
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12 12 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard RL.
I've never tasted that sausage, so I'll try to answer some of your questions.
Quote:
Louie Mueller's sausage is "loose" - it's crumbly and falls apart as the sausage is cut up.

I would say a course grind and very lean.
The wetness may be from a binder.
The "flavor bits" are probably cracked or course grind spices.
Vinegar is sometimes added to sausage, ie Chorizo.
Hopefully somebody that has tasted it will chime in. There is nothing better than homemade sausage.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: