FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

second cook on the BGE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SmokeyBear
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17 07 2:43 pm    Post subject: second cook on the BGE Reply with quote

I work nights. On the way home this morning, I stopped at Kroger and bought a package of sirloin strip steaks. Around 11:30, I brushed them with extra virgin olive oil and coated them good with Dizzy Pick Cow Lick. I wrapped them in plastic wrap and put them in the fridge.

I got up around 7pm and pulled the BGE out of the garage. It was fairly windy, and I had to make a couple of attempts to get the chimney of BGE lump started. I poured it in the firebox on top of some other coals, and I think I did so a little too quickly. I then compounded my mistake by dropping some more lump on top of those coals, and I never really got the good ashed over thing going. I kept getting blue flame and white smoke. This went on for a little while until I closed down the air some.

It was sitting around 400 when I put the steaks on. They did okay. I would have liked to have had a bit more heat and first to get a little more sear, but I really didn't have the time at that point to play with the fire anymore. The steaks were fairly tender and had a nice flavor, although they weren't exactly what I was shooting for with this cook. I didn't add any wood to the lump.

The Cow Lick is a little bit different than what I have used in the past. My wife prefers the Hickory Grill rub from the Cajun Injector people. I like it's flavor a little better as well, but the Cow Lick is good too.

I'm still very new to cooking with charcoal. Last weekend's fatty on the BGE was the first time that I have ever cooked with coals. It all went well last weekend. I'm planning to smoke a turkey breast this weekend. Hopefully it will go better than it did tonight.
adolpho
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17 07 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I grill, I start up all the charcoal I'm going to cook with and I don't add any more unless the grilling session is a long one (hamburgers for 100+ comes to mind). I add hot coals when I have to add more to my session. I have two chimney starters, one is a standard size and the other is larger and holds up to 8 lbs. of charcoal. Smoking is a different animal and in that case I'll add unlit coals or pour hot coals over unlit coals.

I don't have a BGE (although I want one), so I can't speak for how it works. Judging from your post, you already figured out what didn't work and what to try next time around. That's the fun with queing, the learning process.
wawatusi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23 07 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider the electric starter.

I have the XL and in and I can get it up to 800+ in 10 or so minutes.

Did you have both top and bottom vents completley open?
SmokeyBear
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23 07 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wawatusi wrote:

Yup.
wawatusi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24 07 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokeyBear wrote:
wawatusi wrote:

Yup.

I never had a problem with attaining nuke temps.

Is the firebowl whole lined up with the bottom vent?

What kind of charcoal are you using?

Do you live in an oxygen starved environment?

I don't know. I have read on the wide wide world of web everynow and then, rarely though, about people having your kind of issues and honestly can not see how. If I hace even one piece of charcoal barely lit and don't close the vents it can get hot very quickly.....

The only thing I can suggest as I have read is make sure the bowel is clean of all ash. fireholes are all clean and stick the bigger pieces of lump at the bottom and use an electric starter.

Oh wait. I bet I got it. I had this problem with a chimemea..... Was the open part of the lower opening facing the wind or was its back to the wind. The latter could actually starve the fire of oxygen.

Turn it the other way and it will soar.

Hope that helps.
SmokeyBear
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24 07 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem wasn't getting the temps. It took a few tries to get the coals lit, and when I threw the unlit coals over the lit coals, I got a lot of flames rather than glowing hot coals. I had to choak down the air to get the flames to stop.
wawatusi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24 07 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLames are fine as it warms up to 800+ degrees.

When its ready you may still see some bluish faint flames coming out the top (its the Carbon monoxide burning off I have been told, harmless).

When you open the lid you will get flames at those temps but as soon as you throw the steak on and shut the lid the flames will disapate. If they do not close the top and/or the bottom and the flames will subside very quickly as the oxygen is depleted from the chamber.
thenakedwhiz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24 07 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wawatusi has it right. When charcoal is burning hot, carbon monoxide is formed when the carbon in the charcoal combines with the oxygen in the cooker. The carbon monoxide then burns with the pale blue flame.

The flames are not a bad thing when doing steaks. If you are trying to sear the steaks at the highest possible temperature (bottom vent open, dual function metal top off the cooker) you will get flames, but they aren't really hurting anything. Typically, I get the Egg up as hot as it wants to get and sear the meat for two minutes on each side. The vents are open and there are the blue CO flames. Then I close the vents and let the steaks roast as the temperature drops. Once the vents are closed, there are no more flames.

Of course, then watch out for flashback when you open the lid. If you haven't seen the movie, might I suggest: Laughing

Flashback, The Movie
Large Egg, Medium Egg, Small Egg, Komodo Kamado 22" OTB Supreme
wawatusi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24 07 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats up thenakedwhiz!

Your website is all things egg and charcoal!

I think thats even where I learned about what the blue flames actually are.

Unfortunatly you were the second place I discovered the flashback effect. I singed my brow and some of my hair off of the first!

Also I have been meaning to ask you if you had any or know of any table plans for the XL?

lastly, according to the cigar emporium, Braseiro Lump Charcoal is shut down and no longer available.

I can confirm that the cigar emporium no longer carries it.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag44.htm
thenakedwhiz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25 07 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, Brasiero was getting a lot of heat in the environmental world as I recall. Oh well....

I don't know of any plans for tables that are specifically for the XL, but I think after you got your XL and could measure it, you would just need to modify the large plans to:
1) enlarge the hole, so therefore also make the table deeper front to back, and
2) adjust the height of the lower shelf to get the XL sitting at the right height. Of course, you could also use pavers under it (the XL) to adjust the height.
Large Egg, Medium Egg, Small Egg, Komodo Kamado 22" OTB Supreme
SmokeyBear
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25 07 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Next time I won't worry about the flames.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: