FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Reverse Flow cooker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fergolicious
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04 12 1:04 am    Post subject: New Reverse Flow cooker Reply with quote

So I am cooking on my new reverse flow cooker. It was custom built and resembles a Lang RF for much. It has 6 pork butts, 3 briskets and a pan of beans smoking on it right now. One thing I am noticing though is that towards the firebox end, there is alot of sizzling going on as the fat from the briskets drip onto the convection plate. The briskets seem to be cooking faster and browning more then they do on my normal off-set smoker. Should I be concerned about burning or over-cooking? The temp is holding awesomingly at both ends at around 225-250. I'm a little nervous.
fergolicious
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04 12 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, does a reverse flow cooker seem to decrease the cooking time a bit?
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04 12 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plate does through heat upwards increasing the temperature and decreasing the cooking time, especially nearer to the firebox, but that is all dependent on the draft you have going, the more the draft the further down the plate the hot spot occurs.

So you need to learn to move your meat around... if the briskets are cooking too quickly, move them to a cooler spot, and move something else to the hotter spot.

You can make it part of normal meat rotation, (if you do that too), or do it every hour or hour and a half.

If you think the brisket fat sounds loud, wait till you're doing the butts at that end! Wink

I still work here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: