FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

explain please
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbq tenderfoot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01 12 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not interested in doing a hog verticaly so much as having a smoker that will work double duty so I can hang sausage as well as cook a hog. So if I can remove the shelves and hang the sausage then put the shelves back to cook a hog or roasts or brisket or what ever that would be the greatest.
The real confusion is my fault... In the veary beginning I kept reffering to a cabinet smoker as a verical smoker... but thanks to k.a.m. I've been straightened out on that. He has been kind enough to help me try to sort out what I really am looking for.
My biggest problem is ignorance.
I only just recently began to think about booming up and building my own smoker, and really getting in to it so I really have a whole lot to learn.
I am not familiar with terminology or a lot of the different types of equipment. I am truly a babe in the woods.
My only smoking experience has been on a small gas powered smoker bought from Walmart which I have been using for the last 6 or 7 years. Most of that was for making sausage and small meals for my immediate family.
So if I say or do anything that upsets anyone I apologize but so far everyone has been very helpful and it is greatly appreciated.
NAVET
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02 12 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admire your willingness to spend hours asking questions here. Some of the most talented metal benders and welders I have seen can be found here. I too was wanting to build my own vertical insulated cabinet smoker but by the time I bought the welder and the other associated tools needed as well as the metal I was so close to the price of a professionally built smoker it wasn't worth it. My time is precious as I am in grad school and working full time as well as raising 2 boys and trying to keep my wife happy. All of those leave me precious little time for relaxing.
Keep asking. I look forward to seeing the questions AND the answers.

Competitive BBQ; The only sport where a fat, bald man can be looked upon as a hero.
bbq tenderfoot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02 12 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope I don't wear out my welcome with all the questions that are probably very simple to everyone else on the site.
I too am also trying to figure out the benefits of building my own versus buying a premade cabinet. If I could find 1 that fits my needs used at a good price I would probably go that route. I work offshore so when I'm home my time is precious to me as well.
bbq tenderfoot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02 12 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope I don't wear out my welcome with all the questions that are probably very simple to everyone else on the site.
I too am also trying to figure out the benefits of building my own versus buying a premade cabinet. If I could find 1 that fits my needs used at a good price I would probably go that route. I work offshore so when I'm home my time is precious to me as well.
bbq tenderfoot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03 12 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I made kind of a half assed drawing of the smoker on Google SketchUp. But I can't seem to figure out how to post it on this site so that someone with a clue can look at it and tell me if it looks like I have the right idea or not.
I think the measurements are approximately correct but would really like to have k.a.m. or someone who is really good at this to give it a look.
NAVET
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03 12 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously doubt you'll wear out your welcome! The questions you'll end up asking will be the same ones somebody here has thought of but hasn't asked. Besides, if they are challenging, most of the people in the know will welcome it. Plus we all love learning so ask away.

I am not trying to dissuade you from making your own, after all we all love watching builds. But the best thing to do is sit down and calculate the cost of everything you'll need. Look at the difference and ask if your time is worth it. Nobody will seriously bust your chops if the answer is no. The pics of a cook on a purchased smoker or homemade smoker are just as welcome.

Competitive BBQ; The only sport where a fat, bald man can be looked upon as a hero.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: