FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

anyone ever decided to rent out your cooker?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seattlepitboss
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25 12 10:30 pm    Post subject: anyone ever decided to rent out your cooker? Reply with quote

OK I have a confession to make. I built a horizontal offset RF cooker on a trailer, can do ribs for 100 people, powered by either wood or propane or both. I basically built it for a big BBQ I used to do in the summertime but I'm not doing that anymore. Recently I put together one of those drum smokers and I am finding it to be very handy for cooking for my family.

I don't want to sell my big cooker. But I thought I might make it pay for itself by renting it out. I was thinking of just removing the propane burners and setting it up as a stick burner only because of the potential of problems with propane. Other than breaking the glass on the firebox door I don't think they could hurt it much. I would probably charge a $100 cleaning deposit so it wouldn't be a big problem if they brought it back filthy.

Anyone ever do anything like this? I'm not sure, but I think there might be a reasonable demand for a cooker of this size in my area, especially in the summer.

seattlepitboss
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25 12 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grant, there is no way I would rent one of my cookers out. With the time and money invested in it and little chance of recovery if stolen or wrecked a 100.00 deposit doesn't even cover my rods for my build.

Hybrid Cooker
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26 12 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never rent out my personal cooker for anyone else to use and possibly do damage to. Just like Kevin said, there is way too much blood, sweat and tears in a personal build to see someone you dont even know who cares even less destroy it.

I have though, thought about building a tank so to speak of a cooker to rent out. Overkill everything and make it indestructable...but when I really get to thinking about that, the thought always comes to mind that the RMS Titanic was built to be unsinkable and look where she sits Shocked
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27 12 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both local party and tool rental centers in my area have their crappy cookers rented every weekend. They of course, have business insurance in case someone gets burned or pinches a finger in a door.

My concern would not be so much for the well-being of the cooker itself as for the liability suit when some tanked up dude burns his jimmy-john while showing his buddies how to put out the fire.

I had considered a rental fleet of "Propane Pigs" but after weighing the monetary returns against the aggravation I nixed the idea.
ChuckieD
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27 12 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seattlepitboss,
You could have a contract lawyer write you up a rental agreement (or rent a piece of equipment and borrow the legal). The agreement should have an agreement for full coverage of your rig, if the renter can't provide proof of coverage, you can sell them some short term insurance. Insurance co's would love you to sell their insurance for them. You can also get them to sign a liability waiver that protects your rental company, incase the user gets hurt, see a lawyer about the liability laws, they differ from state to state. A well written contract should protect you. I have worked for companies that rent stuff, its done every day bro! You can do it!

Now, with all that said would I rent out mine if I was you...
Heck, I don't know... I'm not you bro. Laughing Laughing

All kidding aside, I have thought about it, It's hard to find a smoker to rent in my country (Northern CA.).
Good luck if you decide to do it. Wink

Big Green Egg XL
UDS build
The Old Brick Barbecue Project!
Baldwin BBQ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27 12 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the only way I would rent out a cooker is if they also rented the services as a pit master along with it. Like everyone here says "No 2 pits are the same". More than likely they will have no idea on how to properly operate it without any experience with it.
ChuckieD
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28 12 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baldwin BBQ said,
Quote:
I think that the only way I would rent out a cooker is if they also rented the services as a pit master along with it. Like everyone here says "No 2 pits are the same". More than likely they will have no idea on how to properly operate it without any experience with it.

I agree with you on the no 2 pits are the same part. I think he could qualify a user over the phone to see if they can handle a large pit and give them instructions on lighting, operation and cleaning...etc. Their first cook may not be their best, but seattlepitboss is not responsible for the cook quality, who cooks on it, who gets drunk and burns their weenkie, after it leaves the rental yard. Laughing
Their plenty of guys that can cook on a offset that need a bigger one for an event and can't find one. It may not be their best cook, not being familiar with the cooker and all.
IMHO I believe there is a need for this type of business... I've looked at renting one a few times, they aren't cheap to rent either.

edit:
If they are supplying the chow, and he is just the giving tips and cooking thats cool, but I think he wants to just rent it.
If seattlepitboss did offer his services as a Pit Master and supplying the Meat, I think that would be the catering business and a whole new can of worms... Wink

As brothers Kevin and Troy say,
These are just my thoughts Wink

Big Green Egg XL
UDS build
The Old Brick Barbecue Project!

Last edited by ChuckieD on Tue Aug 28 12 12:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28 12 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not on my watch.
pyronoel
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30 12 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've rented out my cooker for the last 2 years. It wears on it quickly. I just sold it last night.

I did make enough to pay for what it took me to build it.

Pit #2 is almost done, and I'm going to stop renting it out.

You are absolutely right about what is out there to rent, usually just plain jane or junk. Mine had everything everyone wanted- Grill, Smoker, Hot Water etc.

Surprising enough, the insurance to do it wasn't too bad- $1M liability, and insuring the cooker was around $700 a year.
Liability insurance also covered me for a handful of vending events per year as well.

You need to have your own inland marine policy to cover your cooker- Most car insurance covers liability on a towed vehicle, not the actual thing your towing.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03 12 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rent out my backup home made smoker for $100.00 a weekend, only to people I have some first hand knowledge of though!! Local rental place gets $88 for a POS pig coffin looking gasser, I give basic "pitmaster" advice, and charge extra for wood if they dont have access to their own.
I do have full coverage on all my equipment, but dont really think about that end as, like I said - if I dont know you, where you live, where you work etc, you aint renting my smoker!!!
I have also had people try to rent my vending trailer, my bread and butter money maker - NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: