FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sausage casing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ceeyahd1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24 12 12:29 am    Post subject: Sausage casing? Reply with quote

I would like to start making sausage, I just purchased a LEM 5# stuffer and ordered a Northern grinder. I am interested in making summer sausage and a few other ones and not interested in making larger diameter sausage about 1-1.5" max and would like to make hotdog size pastrami using sheep casing.

Is HOG casing the way to go? I noticed it is sold in a few sizes, what size should I get? where is the best place to get Hog and sheep casing?

Thanks
TonyMo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24 12 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that sheep casings are more like the hot dog casing, whereas, hog casings are for sausage. Hog casing give you more a a "snap" when you bite into them.

For lots of supplies, try here:
(sorry for your credit card Razz )
http://www.sausagemaker.com/
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25 12 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, sheep casing will give you breakfast size and hog casing will give you kielbasa size. There are variations in between though so it is not an exact science.

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12 12 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide on sheep casings, better take a 2nd out on your first born, wife and house.
I get most of my casings from The Sausage Maker and others from Butcher & Packer.
If you're looking for 1" to 1-1/2", I would go with the "Home Pack". The size is about 32 to 36 mm and cheap. You can also go with an edible collagen casing.
I've never seen sheep casings that size.
Sheep casings are normally used for breakfast links and snack sticks and are 19 to 22 mm. You will need a small 3/8" SS straight tube to use them. I think they are about $20.
Welcome the the sausage making world. You'll never eat store bought again. Very Happy

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: