FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rewarming Pulled Pork 1 sandwich at a time

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark E

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11 12 11:53 am    Post subject: Rewarming Pulled Pork 1 sandwich at a time Reply with quote

Looking for a good way to rewarm pulled pork 1 sandwich at a time. I know how to warm up a steam pan at time but looking for good way to warm up pulled pork 1 sandwich at a time.

Thanks
Mark
Bestiverhad
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11 12 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microwave it, just not in plastic.

Very Happy "What would you like to drink with that?" Very Happy
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11 12 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was forced to re-therm pork for each sandwich, I would consider doing it in a saute pan with some drippings from the pork. Or I would consider doing it in a house sauce if you plan to sauce your meat.

I despise microwave ovens and I refuse to have one my commercial kitchen, or my home kitchen. I blame microwave ovens as the starting point of crappy food in this country.
RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12 12 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to post almost the exact reply. A sauté pan please.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12 12 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a side by side. Sauting has it's benefits, but not when reheating in some situations. I would have to say that the microwave may be the best way. Avoid hot spots in the microwave by stirring half way through the time and don't over reheat. You don't need a hooded appliance. It heats as fast as a hot griddle with out the expense of keeping it hot, and faster than a saute pan. Many will disagree, but it reheats with least amount of change to the product. The most cost effective way to do it is to use microwavable deli cups which can be cleaned and sterilized for reuse. They last for months of daily use. If you need to control waste in an unpredictable market and want to have a consistent product the microwave the most nutritious, fastest, and most economical way.

Harry, you have a bit of a point, but it starts with crappy food being put in the microwave most of the time. You can't make garbage into food. Most retail foods that are meant for the microwave have been processed to death and are frozen to boot. Freshly prepared quality food can be rethermed just fine in serving sized portions. Frozen food will never be the same rethermed as fresh, no matter how you do it.

Last edited by qfanatic01 on Wed Jun 13 12 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Bestiverhad
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12 12 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:

I despise microwave ovens and I refuse to have one my commercial kitchen, or my home kitchen. I blame microwave ovens as the starting point of crappy food in this country.

Harry, what makes you feel that way?

'Starting point of crappy food'?

Microwave for cooking? Of course not, but nothing wrong with using it to re-heat.

Like qfanatic said. "Do a side by side"

daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13 12 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One sandwich at a time?If I have to make one I'll have orders for 5.why not vac seal two or three portions per row,toss a bag in some simmering water and it ready as fast as my microwave.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13 12 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To legally use modified atmosphere packaging (vacuum pack) it typically requires a higher level of licensing and a HAACP plan to be filed with the HD
Bbq Bubba
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13 12 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vac sealing in a commercial setting is a no-no.
I agree that reheating in a pan with sauce may be your best bet.
Obviously if thats not accessible then microwave last resort.
Northern midwest director for Operation BBQ Relief
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14 12 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda funny you should mention boil in the bag. We just opened our new serving line and we are heating many of our sides in small batches just this way. You do not have to vacuum seal to do this, which Harry is correct must have a HCCAP program which is usually an extra yearly license with a written plan. The companies that sell the machines have your home work done for you, so it's just a matter of weather you want to spend the money. OR you can just use a regular bag sealer. Works just fine. I saw companies at the Chicago show that were selling the same set up I am using. I bought my sealer and bags from uline.com I have an extra fryer I was considering setting up as a water bath. The nice thing with bags is that you can flatten and cool or put in a ice bath to comply with cool down codes. The cost of the equipment is also a consideration. The bag sealer is 350.00 ish, the vacuum machines, which I also have and will be using soon, cost new 3,000 to 13,000 for Commercial units. I was staring a food packaging company several years back and have a bunch of R&D equipment, but that's another story.

Our restaurant started out slowly and had some challenging days and weeks. If we would not have heated to order at times the first year we would have had so much waste we would have been out of business. Trust me I tried everything to control waste and serve the highest quality product possible. We managed to do OK in these challenging times.
Bestiverhad
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14 12 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
I despise microwave ovens and I refuse to have one my commercial kitchen, or my home kitchen.

I guess you don't care to explain this?

Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14 12 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bestiverhad wrote:
Harry Nutczak wrote:
I despise microwave ovens and I refuse to have one my commercial kitchen, or my home kitchen.

I guess you don't care to explain this?

I have just found no legitimate use for one in either my personal life or in my business setting. I see the mini-Chernobyl's as a unneeded shortcut, a short cut that way too many cooks will use regularly instead of doing it correctly when not directly supervised. I have seen clowns cook fresh fish start to finish and put grill marks on it even when they know full well it would turn out crappy.
I will not have the temptation of what I consider crappy shortcuts here, I want my guys to use traditional methods, and be able to plan ahead instead of having a crutch to rely on.
I/we do not eat mega-processed foods at home that are designed for nuking, so again, no need.
I did have one in my shop when I was doing a bunch of wood lathe hobby work, I would spin bowls using green wood, and nuke them to dry them without getting splitting, and it would create interesting shapes too.
Bestiverhad
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14 12 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Harry Nutczak"]
Bestiverhad wrote:
Harry Nutczak wrote:

I see the mini-Chernobyl's as a unneeded shortcut, a short cut that way too many cooks will use regularly instead of doing it correctly when not directly supervised. I have seen clowns cook fresh fish start to finish and put grill marks on it even when they know full well it would turn out crappy.
I will not have the temptation of what I consider crappy shortcuts here, I want my guys to use traditional methods, and be able to plan ahead instead of having a crutch to rely on.

I understand not wanting your people to 'cook' using a microwave, but the OP was asking about re-heating enough pork for a sandwich. The microwave oven is the quickest and easiest for this application.

'mini-Chernobyls'?
Microwaves are radio waves, only shorter in length. There is nothing going on in a microwave that in any way compares to what is going on in Chernobyl.

Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15 12 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bestiverhad"]
Harry Nutczak wrote:
Bestiverhad wrote:
Harry Nutczak wrote:

I see the mini-Chernobyl's as a unneeded shortcut, a short cut that way too many cooks will use regularly instead of doing it correctly when not directly supervised. I have seen clowns cook fresh fish start to finish and put grill marks on it even when they know full well it would turn out crappy.

I understand not wanting your people to 'cook' using a microwave, but the OP was asking about re-heating enough pork for a sandwich. The microwave oven is the quickest and easiest for this application.

'mini-Chernobyls'?
Microwaves are radio waves, only shorter in length. There is nothing going on in a microwave that in any way compares to what is going on in Chernobyl.

I just do not like them, and it is my belief that there is nothing that can be done better in a microwave compared to traditional methods.
Heck, I don't even use my oven in the kitchen, everything we do gets run through the Oyler, even our fruit cobblers.
cgff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21 12 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark E
I saw your post on asking about re warming BBQ 1 sandwich at a time, Though I am not a restauranteur I watched a fellow
at a little Hole in the wall place in NE north carolina warm a serving for a sandwich on a flat top griddle, place was packed
and I will tell ya the sandwich was awesome.
The little place was between conetoe/beargrass and Greenville
kinda the country way from Elizabeth City
cgff
jfish63

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21 12 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing cgff said. I have only been vending for 4 weeks but use a flat top griddle. I bought a toastmaster 24" 5/8" thick counter top model at restaurant depot beast price I could find and it is made in America.

My customers love the pp sliders and are telling others to come try it.
Swamp Mama's
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10 12 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm a couple of months behind/late with this post, but I just opened up my Walk-up Drive-Thru BBQ place and don't want to keep too much heated up until I build the business up. Before I open in the mornings I nuke enough for about 8 or so sandwiches or platters and put it in my heater along with my other reheated items. I've had many, many compliments on my pulled pork this week, so it works for me. I have a Masterbuilt 40 cooker and a Weber 22.5 Gold for smoking and grilling and use a Masterbuilt 30 inside my kitchen for heat holding foods. Works great for me. There is no smoke because I don't load it with chips just for heating, and with it holding a temp of 150* it runs all day and doesn't heat up my vending trailer. I use a microwave, but I don't like customers seeing me nuke foods! The flattop idea sounds promising to me too! Wink
Masterbuilt 40
Masterbuilt 30
Weber 22.5 Gold
Bestiverhad
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16 12 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swamp Mama's wrote:
I use a microwave, but I don't like customers seeing me nuke foods! Wink

Me either.

I don't have a restaurant, but I have my micro wave in my trailer positioned so the customers can not see it unless they stick their head clear inside the serving window.

I also disabled the tiny little sound module on my 'mini-Chernobyl'. =^)

Being called 'Nukes' for years has created a misguided belief that microwave ovens are using the same waves and have the same unwanted effects as a small reactor.
That's comparing apples to tree bark, but a lot of people fear the unknown, invisible, magic technology, so I don't show it. Not because I'm trying to hide anything, but so the customer doesn't feel the need to worry about it.

I agree with Harry. My experience using a microwave oven for anything more than re-heating, never produces tasty, nicely textured food.

I have read in a couple of different journals that heating foods, especially fatty foods, in plastic containers and bags, using a microwave, tends to break down the plastic and introduces unwanted nasties into your food.

I spray with a tiny amount of water and nuke in a covered Pyrex bowl. I'm comfortable with that and it works extremely well for me.

JM2CW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: