FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about hinges on my smoker?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chelps03

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14 12 6:54 am    Post subject: Question about hinges on my smoker? Reply with quote

Hey guys was wondering about hinges for my smoker. I like the ones that are on the jambo smokers cause they allow for a tight seal all the way around. (rather then a piano hinge which would leak air). Just curious of you can purchase the ones like the jambo pit? And any other ideas that you guys have used. Also I have a round pipe for a fire box and was wondering if their is any difference in making the door on the side thats flat or making the door on the round surface? Thanks so much

Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:
--James 1:19
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14 12 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look forward to following your cooker build Very Happy You might call Jambo direct and see if they would sell you hinges, but my guess is probably not, but who knows Laughing

I fabricated mine from a design that I saw here on the Ring. Snoop around, there are a ton of great fabricators with some cool setups for their hinges.

For my next builds that Im going to do, Im going to use a store bought hinge pin/nipple set up.

k.a.m. does some nice black pipe hinges that Im sure he will be happy to share with you.

I put a top load and end load on my X2 builds, my main reason for the top load was to use the firebox as a grill if I wanted to, I think I have used it a couple times maybe. There is a lot of work in getting the door to fit right and seal good, IMHO you have to really justify it to do the extra labor involved, I know that I seriously doubt if I do another one like it unless asked specifically to do so.

Good luck with your build, and make sure to post lots of pics Cool
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14 12 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chelps03, as Troy said there are several deigns here on the ring that incorporate two pieces and a bolt. Most are hand made some are done on CNC machines. The hinge does not make or break the door seal it is the person mounting the door that either takes the time to create a tight fit or stop short. You can use a half dozen different designs on a Jambo door with good results because the door fits the hole correctly. Wink
I personally like a top load on a round firebox for the use of a grill if need be. As Troy said you double your fit up work when you open it up though. Either will work I just feel I have more control of my fire when I can see it totally.
Here is a link to a build I did with atop load it also shows my pipe hinges.
I hope this helps. Very Happy
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17781

Hybrid Cooker
Chelps03

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15 12 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys

Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:
--James 1:19
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15 12 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do two versions on spanning a bridge of a cooker door of this type...k.a.m.s and Trailerbuilder, along with Slapout's... The bolt in the middle of the bridge rocks but is susceptible to lock up unless lock nuts are used but they look bitchin...k.a.m.'s pipe hinges work really well but there is a trick to it...gotta ask him Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: