FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello...new red man smoker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
da83moon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16 12 9:33 am    Post subject: Hello...new red man smoker Reply with quote

Hello from birchwood tn, im andy. Ive been reading here for awhile and took the plunge yesterday and bought a redman smoker from tsc which was on sale for 49.99. Today i did some mods and currently have it curing. The design was a little funky so i moved the bottom rack to mid smoker. Also the water pan right below the top rack so i moved it down below the new placement for the middle rack. Thanks to Rinngrizz, I placed it to where I can tend one things on the fire and have access to the water bowl. I also patched all holes from moving the hardware round with jb weld and yesterday when I was putting it together I used the jb weld stuff that is like putty and created a Seal around the chimney. I also put several 1/2 inch holes in the charcoal pan. I used some old super sticky felt I had laying around that I use on fishing waders on the door and its actually staying well. I am going to have to fix the hinge side somehow but I have some tape on it for the purpose of curing. Right now it's been around 2 and a half hours to 3 on one small chimey of coal and a piece of oak it's staying with all vents open around 265 to275 constantly. Oh I did in stall a better thermoometer and checked with with my wireless meat thermometer and it was showing a variance of around 10 degrees difference. The thermo is on the lid in one of the holes intended for the hanging racks. It fit perfectly. So I get it hotter or is this good steady temp? Attached are some curing pics.

Last edited by da83moon on Thu Aug 16 12 10:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16 12 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Andy.
Looking good. Nice thin blue smoke you got goin' on.
Grab some chicken and break it in.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16 12 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please read PMPNLT650pxOTLS!

I still work here!
da83moon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16 12 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry soezzy I did this from my iPad I have tried to fix this in photoshop and it looks smaller if not please let me know. Just checked before bed and still holding at 265 ish. I'm sure it will change once food is in there
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16 12 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats an welcome to the lifestyle. Glad my suggestions helped. I' never claim to be one of the accomplished builders or pitmasters on the ring but I'd like to think I have a good amount of common sense. Who knows though lol. Enjoy ur new cooker and I look forward to seeing the cooks.

Modified ECB
UDS
DrunkPlumber
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17 12 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin' good, Andy! Or da83moon. M-O-O-N, that spells moon. Laws!

Been wanting a small cooker for the house, think I'll pull the trigger on one of these this weekend Very Happy

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

There is no such thing as too much onion.

I'm NOT liar #94. I swear!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: