FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoked Salmon Q

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NAVET
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20 12 10:28 pm    Post subject: Smoked Salmon Q Reply with quote

I was asked by my boss to smoke some salmon for him. He even decided to give me some filets for my trouble. Having never smoked salmon before, I plan on following the method from http://www.salmonuniversity.com since I have read good things on the method he describes. But I was wondering.... In his plan, he lets the pelicle form on the counter at cool room temp for about 6 hours. Can this step be done in the refrigerator? My dogs would love for me to leave salmon out on the counter.[/url]

Competitive BBQ; The only sport where a fat, bald man can be looked upon as a hero.
KAKid
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21 12 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my basement fridge when smoking salmon in the summer with no problem. Maybe add a bit more time. I use our three season room in the winter (40*). Fish @ "room temperature" for 6 hours = not a good idea in my mind.

Chargriller Outlaw w/SFB and Mods
Pair of UDS's
10 gal CI Chili/Jambalaya pot
NAVET
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21 12 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAKid, I'm with ya. I was leary about the time at room temperature as well. That's why I asked from those with more experience using his method or those who smoke salmon regularly.
Does time in the refrigerator temp range slow the process of pelicle formation?

Competitive BBQ; The only sport where a fat, bald man can be looked upon as a hero.
KAKid
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21 12 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAVET wrote:
Does time in the refrigerator temp range slow the process of pelicle formation?

I haven't really noticed any difference. It's more about the touch test for the "slightly tacky" feel. 5 hours seems to be the norm for me, regardless of location.

Rinsed of brine and ready for drying. FWIW, I've found these mesh trays (Runnings/Wally's) make the job a lot easier. Fish doesn't break apart and fall thru the smoker racks. Cool The squares are for munching and gifting. The thinner tail parts I put on separate tray (they get done a bit faster) and are excellent for making dip.

Chargriller Outlaw w/SFB and Mods
Pair of UDS's
10 gal CI Chili/Jambalaya pot
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21 12 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only leave mine out at room temp for a couple hours but I do place it directly under the kitchen ceiling fan.....air movement speeds up formation of the pelicle and all it takes is a couple hours....I have never had any problems with my method.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21 12 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Bacon wrote:
I only leave mine out at room temp for a couple hours but I do place it directly under the kitchen ceiling fan.....air movement speeds up formation of the pelicle and all it takes is a couple hours....I have never had any problems with my method.

X Two...I use a good sized, floor stand mounted oscillating fan to get the job done. 2-3 hours for my fillets at 65 ' F.

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21 12 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fish will be just fine at 70* for 6 hours. If your smoking it proper youll be maintaining about 100-125* in your smoker for 8-12 hours, much hotter than that youll be cooking it.
NAVET
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21 12 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell Fire Grill, you smoke it at 100F-125F? If so, I may have to practice keeping the temps that low. Given the outside temp it may be easier now than it would be in July.

Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21 12 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell Fire Grill wrote:
The fish will be just fine at 70* for 6 hours. If your smoking it proper youll be maintaining about 100-125* in your smoker for 8-12 hours, much hotter than that youll be cooking it.

HFG...Your reply brings up interesting points! Wink

After an 8-12 hour brine and subsequent rinse-dry-(And set pelicle period for a few hours) I season the filets on oiled cooking grates and smoke-cook them in the 'fridge cooker-
(The Hot One Laughing ) at 200'F - 225'F until internal temp reaches 155'F - 165'F.

Some would call this Hot cooked Smoked Salmon or Hot Smoked Salmon...And Yes... I concur with Your statement:

"100-125* in your smoker for 8-12 hours, much hotter than that youll be cooking it."

Those temps will give some folk the beginning stages of "Cold Smoked Salmon" and then followed by longer periods
of smoke sessions, etc., etc. would result in "Cold Smoked
Salmon."

I am not an expert at "Salmon Smoking" but no one ever complained about what I served them. Laughing Wink

I am curious to know what others might have to add to this post. Smile

NAVET: Sorry if I stepped on Your original post! Embarassed

Was Certainly NOT my Intention. Cool

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
NAVET
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21 12 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries Tony.

Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21 12 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAVET wrote:
Hell Fire Grill, you smoke it at 100F-125F?

Yes Sir. Thats my target temperature for the smoker. I dont follow the recommendation of heating the fish to a specific IT any more and I smoke it to the dryness that I prefer instead.
NAVET
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21 12 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then what does the difference in smoke temp get you, 100F vs 225F? Is the low smoking temp. for "preservation" and re-heating later?

Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21 12 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell Fire Grill wrote:
NAVET wrote:

Yes Sir. Thats my target temperature for the smoker. I dont follow the recommendation of heating the fish to a specific IT any more and I smoke it to the dryness that I prefer instead.

Tell Us about your Brine/Cure session...What method are You using - What are you using as curing agents - For how long?

Just might be that Ya'll got the makins' of a true...

"Smoked Salmon" Exclamation Cool Wink

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22 12 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony wrote:
Hell Fire Grill wrote:
NAVET wrote:

Tell Us about your Brine/Cure session...What method are You using - What are you using as curing agents - For how long?

Just might be that Ya'll got the makins' of a true...

"Smoked Salmon" Exclamation Cool Wink

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy

Check out this thread. My technique has'nt changed much since then with the exceptions of the amount of garlic, which is a bit strong really, and the checking of the internal temperature.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34428&
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: