FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baby Back rib Smoke: Still not Where I Want Them
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoEzzy
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Aug 09 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3:2:1 mentioned above is for full spares.
3 hours in the smoke, 2 hours foiled, (often with additional liquid to create steam, moisture and pressure), 1 hour foil opened to firm up the meat a little and to set any glaze or sauce.

2:2:1 used by some people for larger St Louis style ribs and larger loin back ribs... cut down spare ribs.

2:1:1 used for smaller loin back ribs, and for true baby back ribs.

So pick the timing for the meat you buy, then work it for how you like your ribs, if you are looking for a little more bite to your rib meat, lower the foil time, (try 15 minutes less), if you are looking for more fall off the bone increase the foil time a little, (try 15 minutes more)... do that for the next ribs you cook if you don't get exactly what you want this time try a little more change next time.

It's all just more practice until you get it all where you like, I took about 9 or 10 racks of ribs, before I found the perfect for our family timing... still trying to hit perfect for the competition judges though!

I still work here!
G Spot BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Aug 09 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myron pans and injects everything! I have some disagreements with his methods and all the panning of everything is one of them.

His book also says to cook prime rib to 155 and then rest it Shocked Shocked
I have cooked many a prime rib and always pull them at about 126 and rest for a hour which gets them to about 132.
Myron is Myron. Develop your own techniques as to what works for you and your equipment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: