FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

$1.98 Pd. For pork spare ribs. Is this good?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chelps03

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04 12 7:43 am    Post subject: $1.98 Pd. For pork spare ribs. Is this good? Reply with quote

I was thinking about stocking up. Also how long will they last in the freezer? Thanks Very Happy

Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:
--James 1:19
Mish
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04 12 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices really depend on your location. Did you check other places and compare pricing? I believe the ribs as long as they were vacuum sealed should last around a year.
30in Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04 12 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get them here (TX) for that most of the time (H.E.B, Kroger, WM). Anyone of them has them @ that price nearly every week.

In the cryovac, they will last 4-6 months without any serious flavor/ quality loss.

I am sure some people have kept longer and will say still good but for me....4-6 months.

It also takes into account how cold you run your freezer and how much air flow is around the meat(s). I keep mine at -10 but most people seem to run their freezers about zero...not near cold enough IMO.
jjjonz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04 12 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats about thr going price around here.
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04 12 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are cryovac'ed, they are likely enhanced. They'll keep longer, but folks here have issues with enhanced ribs having a hammy taste to them (I use them all the time and haven't noticed it). If they aren't cryovac'ed, you might want to wrap them in foil and seal them in a large zipper bag before freezing them. You want to reduce the ice crystals forming on the meat, which leads to freezer burn. I go 4-6 months on cryo ribs. Haven't frozen any the other way in a long while, but the ribeye steaks I cut from the whole roast keep upwards to a year wrapped in foil and wrapped tightly in a zipper bag with no problem. They might keep longer, but I usually go through them in a year before stocking up again. HTH.
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04 12 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy many cases of ribs a week and the come cryovac'ed and they are not enhanced.yes you can buy enhanced, but just because they are cryovac'ed does not mean they are enhanced.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05 12 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daddywoofdawg wrote:
I buy many cases of ribs a week and the come cryovac'ed and they are not enhanced.yes you can buy enhanced, but just because they are cryovac'ed does not mean they are enhanced.

From what I have seen I tend to agree with you. It seems if they come from a packing house (IBP, ETC) they don't seem to be enhanced.

On the other hand, Hormel and some of those brands tend to be enhanced....I wonder why?? Shocked Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: