FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amps w/ 1/8" vs. 1/4"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smoke'em
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28 12 10:33 am    Post subject: Amps w/ 1/8" vs. 1/4" Reply with quote

Am welding on my cooker right now with 7018's on 90 amps right now with my AC/DC arc welder. What rods, amps, etc. will I need to go to when welding 1/8" material for grates, etc. Does it matter when welding 1/8" material to 1/4" material? Thanks.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28 12 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smoke'em, my machine is set around 73 Amps DC reverse polarity. Mostly I use 3/32 6010's and 3/32 7018's for cooker projects.
On 1/8" grate frames I use the 6010's or if I have some 3/32 6011's I use them. When welding the frame up you can switch to DC straight polarity and use a 6013 rod this will throw the heat to the rod instead of the material if your having problems with the thinner metal.
When welding thin to thick concentrate your puddle to the thicker metal and work into the thinner.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
smoke'em
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28 12 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is set on DC +. Is that straight polarity? Do I need to switch to - if so when welding with 7018's? Seems to be working really well right now.
smoke'em
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28 12 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think it's set on - I'll have to check tonight.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28 12 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smoke'em, DC positive is reverse polarity which is where I normally run my machine your fine where you are, this setting gives you the deepest penetration for your work. Like I said if you have problems with blow outs on thinner metal then you can switch to straight polarity and run 6013's. The lower penetration rod and changing the polarity will help on thinner metal. I rarely switch except when warping may be an issue like on sheet metal.

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: