FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bacon in Sausage?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaCay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07 12 10:45 pm    Post subject: Bacon in Sausage? Reply with quote

Made a batch of sausage last week. It came out nice, but we made the cardinal sin of not having enough fat in it. When grinding my own burger meat, I will often time put 10% of store bought bacon in it to up the fat content, and enhance the flavor a bit (rave reviews). This got me thinking... If the butt I purchase doesn't have quite enough fat in it, could you supplement with a good serving of Oscar Meyer's finest? The main question I have is the nitrite level in the store bought bacon v. the amount of Cure #1 I put in the recipe.

Any of you experts have an opinion on this?
captnemo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10 12 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but I make my fair share of all types of sausages, all I ever use is store bought bacon for the fat additive. I use one pound of bacon for 4 lbs lean meat (venison). I measure out the cure for the lean meat only since the bacon is already cured. Comes out really good.

I buy the cheap bacon the thick cut, 3.5/lb stuff.
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10 12 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not use the cheap stuff? I make Pig Candy out of this, and it's $13 for 10#. Ends and Pieces are even cheaper.

Only use enough cure for your butt weight. The bacon has it already.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Kevin P
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10 12 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarhead wrote:

Bingo! That's good advice.

I've made several sausage recipes that do call for bacon.

Krautwurst:

Pork Roll ("Taylor's Ham"):

Kevin
SeaCay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11 12 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarhead wrote:
Why not use the cheap stuff? I make Pig Candy out of this, and it's $13 for 10#. Ends and Pieces are even cheaper.

OK Jarhead, this old PJ wants to know where you sourced your bacon.

Thanks all for the tips on measuring cure to butt weight. One of those "why didn't I think of that" moments, but I'm new to all this stuff anyway, so in over my head I am.

Kevin: Thanks, that's some good looking sausage!
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11 12 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaCay, my local grocer carries it all of the time. Usually have to ask for it.
Just ask for bulk sliced or ends and pieces in a 10# box. Your butcher should be able to help you.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Kevin P
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11 12 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our local Grocery Outlet has 5lb bags of 'Bacon Ends & Pieces' for about $4 to $5.00. That's what I plan on using next time I make Pork roll (versus the premium hickory-smoked bacon in the photo above — $12 for 2lbs (!!!)...

Kevin
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12 12 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was shocked to see the 2.5lb "off cuts and ends" of bacon at $7.50 at our local supermarket last night, last time I bought 3 for $4.99 per.

I still work here!
Seminole

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09 12 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an original Polish sausage that uses kind of bacon. It is called Smalcowa Sausage, "smalec" means lard in Polish. You make your own lard by slow frying back fat, bacon or any fat trimmings. It was usually done with back fat which was diced into little 3/8" cubes. After a while you will see little brown cubes immersed in melted fat. Get them out when they are still yellow-light brown in color. Once they become dark brown, they will taste bitter. They call them "skwarki" in Polish and they are simply delicious.

Well, cool them down and then grind them. Mix with ground smoked bacon to get smoky flavor. If you mix them with fresh bacon or pork, smoke the sausage in a smokehouse. It tastes great.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09 12 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do one hell of a killer "Bacon-Swiss Bratwurst" that is not a cured/smoked sausage, I prepare and cook them as a fresh sausage.

I use raw (cured/cold-smoked) bacon ends and trimmings from my sliced product at a ratio of 10% by weight, hi-temp cubed swiss cheese, and my favorite Austrian bratwurst recipe stuffed into natural hog casings.

These are nothing short of spectacular, you're going to need to experiment with salt concentrations though, the bacon adds some slightly noticeable saltiness.

For simply adding fat to a recipe, see if you can get some pork back fat, it holds its shape when cooking, and works the best IMO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: