FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firebox question?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spokes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05 12 12:17 am    Post subject: Firebox question? Reply with quote

So I am happy with my UDS but I decided to start a new project to give myself a little more rack space. My goal is to use some things I found around home so here goes. I have an old 40 gallon water storage tank (not a water heater) to use as my smoke chamber and I have this stove I used to heat my fishing shanty. According to the calculator, my stove is only about half the size recommended. I am thinking a reverse flow design will be my best option. I will be heating with charcoal. Will the stove still work, maybe just use more fuel to keep temps or will i not beable to reach cooking temps period.

Building a new firebox is probably out of the question due to the expense so if this simply wont work, I will have to keep looking for something elst to use as a firebox. Thanks for any opinions you can offer.

k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05 12 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spokes, my only concern would be what is the inside lined with. It would have to be lined with something so it would not rust. Is the tank galvanized?

Hybrid Cooker
Spokes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05 12 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think the tank is galvanized, I scraped the paint in a couple places and it doesn't look it. I do think the inside is lined with some sort of "paintlike substance" as I found flakes in the bottom when I removed the bung. Hopefully it will burn out. When I get it cut open I will know for sure.
DrunkPlumber
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05 12 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spokes,
Obviously I am not there, but that tank sure looks like galvanized to me. I have worked with water storage tanks many times over the last 40 years. The bulk of them have been galvanized.

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

There is no such thing as too much onion.

I'm NOT liar #94. I swear!
Spokes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05 12 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DrunkPlumber, the "color" you see on the tank is actually a dusty coat of paint. The only exposed metal is the spots of rust you can see. As I posted before, after scraping some paint off, I don't see the "splotchiness" that I associate with galvanized metal. I could be wrong, is there any other way to tell if it is galvanized, I hate to have to trash my new project, but I dont feel like being poisoned either, thanks.
DrunkPlumber
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05 12 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start cuttin' on it. If the fumes make you sick, well....... Crying or Very sad
There are 2 main methods to galvanize metal; 1) hot dip galvanizing and 2) electrogalvanizing.
Hot dip galvanizing gives the large, kinda blochy crystal structure or pattern that is most readily identified as galvanized metal.
Electro-galvanizing is very popular it puts a thinner and more controled layer down on the steel.
Now for the kicker most galvanized materials have been passivated with a tri or hexa valent chrome compound which is very unhealthly also.
I would guess that if is galvanized the zinc could be removed by sanblasting, or with muriatic acid(probably not a good idea in a smoker)......But I will defer to those with more expertise than myself on that subject.
I am sure they are legion here Wink

Spokes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06 12 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DP. I guess the safest be it to just scrap the project and wait until I come across something less risky. Thanks for the warning and I will be more careful next time.
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06 12 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrap em and build another UDS. Wink

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
DrunkPlumber
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06 12 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I would scrap the project. I would just wait for another tank. I like the idea of that stove for a firebox.....a LOT!!!
I have seen several cookers done that way on TSR. I would say that judging from the size of that stove you are going to need a much bigger tank at any rate. You can check that on the pit calculator or talk to one of the builders. A builder I am NOT!
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Spokes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06 12 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the stove is quite small. According to the pit calculator, it is only about half the size required for this tank. That was my original question in the post which really never got touched on. Not gonna scrap the project, gonna see if I can barter myself up a welder and a mid size air tank and go from there. Thanks for the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: