FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spicy Ginger Teriyaki Wings and Buffalo Wings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Griffin
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 21 12 10:10 pm    Post subject: Spicy Ginger Teriyaki Wings and Buffalo Wings Reply with quote

I decided that Saturday I was going to relax, grill up some wings, drink some beer and watch my Spurs play. The only thing to do was figure out what kind of wings. I'd been seeing a few comments about Cazzy's Spicy Ginger Teriyaki Wings on the Egghead forum that he made at the Salado Eggfest and they sounded pretty good. But I also like some variety, so I decided to go half Teriyaki and half Buffalo Wings.

On the Egg, indirect about 375-400 (I can't member where I had them now)

Halfway done

Done

Plated up

Wings turned out pretty good, although I didn't think the Spicy Teriyaki ones were very spicy at all. They were sticky and sweet and flavorful, but next time I'll up the heat. Buffalo wings, as always, were pretty darned tasty. All in all a great Saturday.

Posted up the directions and details HERE if you are interested.
Skidder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 25 12 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both look fantastic to me.
Big Bears BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 26 12 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking plate of wings ....
brdprey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19 12 5:40 am    Post subject: wings Reply with quote

yummmmmmy you have my attention
JACKY
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27 12 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fed-x me some / looks great
YODQ4U
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31 12 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin, I've been using a mixture of half BBQ sauce and half franks hot sauce. This mixture is a great taste of BBQ and some heat. BTW those wings look good to me.
Changeling
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25 12 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Griffin, posting the recipes would really be a nice touch.
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25 12 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changeling wrote:

Changeling, Griffin has a link in his original post. There is also a link to his blog which has detailed ingredients and directions. Wink

Griffin, those wings look great, nice cook. Very Happy
Griffin
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28 12 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changeling wrote:

Sorry Changeling. That was an older post. I've started posting the recipes I use below my cooks since then.

Spicy Ginger Teriyaki Wings (Submitted by Cazzy)
Ingredients needed
Chicken wings (whole or cut to flappers and drumettes)
1 cup soy sauce (low sodium)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Mirin Rice Wine
1 tbsp fresh ginger root (peeled and grated)
1 tsp chili flakes (I opted for 2 tbps of chili garlic sauce and a coupla heaping squirts of Sriracha instead)
*I use this as a base and multiply quantities based on need.

Making Spicy Ginger Teriyaki Sauce
In a sauce pan…bring soy, brown sugar and mirin rice wine to a boil and leave on heat till brown sugar has dissolved. Stir regularly and throughout after boil to avoid scorching. Low heat and add ginger and chili flakes. Simmer for 10 min while stirring regularly. Remove from heat and refrigerate.

Marination
Marinate wings for 24 hours in chilled marinade prior to cook (the chili flakes will rise to the top so shake it up). I use a gallon bag to marinate because I like to lay bag flat and flip after 12 hours. (Note: due to time constraints, I was only able to marinate for 16 hours, Cazzy said a shorter marinate would probably be fine and it was)

Cook

Fire up egg and stabilize at 375-400. I use an adjustable rig with a 16″ drip pan and cook above the felt line. Place drumettes on outside and flappers in the middle because it will be hotter on the outside due to the drip pan.
This is the anal part but I find it really makes the wings tacky and layers the flavor. At 5 min, I baste with marinade, then again at 10 min. At 15, I flip and baste and then baste again at 20 min. This process is why I use a drip pan cause the marinade will make your lump smoke a undesirable taste into the wings. Your wings will be at about 145-150 and should really start having a beautiful brownish red color. Remove at 165…I check each one then remove. Some may go over a lil but no worry…as you know, our eggs are very forgiving. (One thing Cazzy did not mention, and I don’t know if he does or does not do it, but if I am going to use and marinade as a sauce that raw chicken has been in, I like to bring it to a boil for a good 5-10 minutes before hand for safety reasons)

Using different soy sauces will change the flavor a tad and you can reduce/increase ginger and chili flakes based on preference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: