FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1st Build - More Welding (updated 8/23/2012 with pics)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baldwin BBQ

PostPosted: Thu May 24 12 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some updated pictures on the design phase of this project. These show the charcoal box in place. I have also designed the grate for the sticks but it is not shown.

Still need to finish the doors for the FB and warmer, Hinges for all doors, drains for under RF plate and off of the RF plate, damper between main chamber/warming box, all handles, latching mechanisms, thermometer inserts and dampers for the stacks.

I am considering making a small deflector plat for the bottom of the warming box to spread the heat and smoke coming from the smoke chamber when using the warming box as a smoker.

As it is right now it scales at approximately 1,600 lbs without the added weight of the welds

k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri May 25 12 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baldwin BBQ, are you planning on opening the top of your firebox to the warming chamber? If so I would rethink that idea. If not then you will not need a plate to even out heat. Set up properly the chamber will easily maintain 145° during a cook with just radiant heat from the firebox.
These are just my thoughts. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
Baldwin BBQ

PostPosted: Tue May 29 12 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little update showing my thoughts for the fire box door latch. Sorry for all the computer pics but I am working on saving up the funds to get all the metal at one time. So, I figured I would take the time in the front end for the design in the hopes that I will have less snags. However, Murphy has a permanent roost on my left shoulder so we shall see.

The cam will latch into the backside of the angle iron support that is welded into the firebox. The slot in the angle iron will be boxed in to isolate it from the firebox to create a tight seal.

OldDominionSmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 29 12 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some great looking plans. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the build.

Char Griller Smokin' Pro w/ SFB
Baldwin BBQ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26 12 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for not posting any updates on this for a while.

Just starting getting some of my metal by scrounging the local scrap yard. Got most of the 1.5 x 1.5 x 3/16 angle, a long piece of sch40 6" pipe and managed to find a couple pieces of recently sheared 1/4 plate 84"x 14" (for RF plates) and a bunch of odds and ends. 600# worth for $200. I seen a very large pile of bed frames at the scrap yard and might get some of those to use for the racks.

Did the FB cut on the tank and am laying out/cutting out the doors today (hopefully if it stops raining).

I am taking pictures as I go but want to get the doors cut out before I start posting them.
Baldwin BBQ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27 12 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures of the beginning:

Just after cutting out all of the fittings:

Cutting the legs off :

Cutting out the fire box opening:

Laying out and cutting out the doors:

k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27 12 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baldwin BBQ, I much prefer these pics over all the drawings I like real time. Very Happy
Your making some nice progress I look forward to seeing some more pics and updates. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27 12 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great start. I like that you rotated the fittings back from the door openings. On my first build I failed to do that and the result was a wave in my door opening when I welded them shut. I would still be cautious.

Seems like project postings are a little slow now. I guess everyone is either cooking or waiting for cooler weather. I look forward to watching your build.
Baldwin BBQ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28 12 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that I hope does not become an issue is when I cut the tank for the FB, I noticed that there is a flange where the tank end was mated to the cylinder. When I made the cut, I did it on the cap side of the weld. There is still about 0.25" of the flange left on the tank. What would you folks suggest I do about this? should I cut a little bit further down the tank to eliminate this?

Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29 12 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baldwin BBQ wrote:
One thing that I hope does not become an issue is when I cut the tank for the FB, I noticed that there is a flange where the tank end was mated to the cylinder. When I made the cut, I did it on the cap side of the weld. There is still about 0.25" of the flange left on the tank. What would you folks suggest I do about this? should I cut a little bit further down the tank to eliminate this?

Leave it as is, shouldn't hurt a thing. The seam may even help you hold shape. Actually, I prefer to mate up my FB before I even cut my doors. I prefer to do as litle as possible once my doors are cut. Looking good tho.
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30 12 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooker is looking good, I would leave the lip in there as well, any type of reinforcment is better than nothing and like Wreckless said, it might help hold shape. Alls looking really nice so far, looking forward to more updates and pics Very Happy
Baldwin BBQ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31 12 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided it was time to burn out the tank today. Using some scrap that was laying behind the garage when I bought the house, I threw together a rack that I could put the tank on when I burned it out. I used my old (1980) MTD Farm King Tractor to pull it up the ramps I made for the rack.

Loaded the tank up with dead fall from the oaks I have around the yard.

NAVET
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31 12 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far.
I like the computer plans. Maybe you and KAM can get together and school each other. You can edumicate him on computer drawing and he could edumicate you on smoker construction? Very Happy

Competitive BBQ; The only sport where a fat, bald man can be looked upon as a hero.
Baldwin BBQ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31 12 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAVET wrote:
Looking good so far.
I like the computer plans. Maybe you and KAM can get together and school each other. You can edumicate him on computer drawing and he could edumicate you on smoker construction? Very Happy

All is good actually, k.a.m. has already helped me out a lot as have other members here at TSR. I am open to helping anyone who needs it with drawings/3D models. However, unless you have a very well stocked/tooled shop (which I don't have), drawings wont do much good other than a rough draft, general idea of materials needed and for a visual proof of concept.

Also prior USN here as well. FTC/SS USS James Monroe SSBN 622 Gold.
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31 12 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baldwin BBQ, things are looking good so far. Very Happy
Looking forward to updates.
NAVET
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31 12 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaldwinBBQ, you'll find a lot of great help here. You'll get some great advice and when KAM speaks about smoker construction, people listen.

Former submariner? Nice.

Competitive BBQ; The only sport where a fat, bald man can be looked upon as a hero.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01 12 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baldwin BBQ, looking mighty good so far. Very Happy I seemed to have missed my invite to the wiener roast and smores fest though. Laughing With such a nice fire some burning of meat should have happened. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Baldwin BBQ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01 12 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Baldwin BBQ, looking mighty good so far. Very Happy I seemed to have missed my invite to the wiener roast and smores fest though. Laughing With such a nice fire some burning of meat should have happened. Very Happy

I thought about it, but then I thought about eating something that could potentially smell/taste like rotten eggs. In the end though, the smell is completely gone and 85% of the powder coat was burned off the tank (The tank was freshly coated before the refurb shop decided to scrap it due to a lost data plate). The fire also broke loose all of the scale on the inside of the tank. Did not get any warping from the burn that I can see yet. I will get a better look once I line the doors back up.
rand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01 12 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice start,Im looking forward to following along with this.
Baldwin BBQ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06 12 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buddy of mine asked me if I would like to take a walk around his property (he does a lot of scrapping) to see if there may be something that I could use for the smoker. I stumbled upon this tub sitting way in the back. It is made of 0.25" Plate and measures 29"x29"x40". It does have some rust pitting but I can live with that as it cost me roughly 30% of what I would have paid for new plate and it is already cut and welded.

Needless to say I snagged it up along with a few other bits and pieces. I will be squaring off the open end then cutting a portion off of it to use as my Fire Box. Will probably go 29" wide x 29" deep and 26" tall 21,868 cubic in.

Now, will I have to recalculate the size of the FB to chamber opening and the stack size if I use this size? My original dimensions were: Firebox: 19,250 cubic in 26" H x 30" W x 25" L (this gives me 19.500 cubic in at 101.3%). or should I cut it down further? If I went 29"x26"26 it would be 19,604 Cubic In.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: