FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocket knives for everyday carry
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tanglediver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25 12 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folding boxcutter, don't leave home with out it.
The real pocket knives are all in my collection, not a big collection, but way more than I need! Surprised

4LittlePigs
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28 12 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a knife dealer and there are very few knives made with good steel anymore. Most are made in China or most that are assembled here are made with Chinese steel. The pocket knives I like best are German forged steel. Brands like Boker, German Eye, German Bull and Buck Creek are all excellent knives with quality steel. You can sharpen them to a razor edge. I like Buck but they're pretty difficult to sharpen with the steel they use. I like Gerber and Kershaw hunting knives pretty good. Frost, Hen and Rooster and Kissing Crane used to be decent but they are starting to use Chinese steel.
tinovr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 09 12 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been lurking on this post.. even went back and pulled out my old Wenger Backpacker Swiss Army knife from when I was a kid that's gotta be 35 yrs old.

My question is... why would you carry a knife on you during everyday life? I work in an office, and really see no reason for me to carry it, but was wondering what you all do to want/need to carry one.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu May 10 12 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinovr wrote:
I've been lurking on this post.. even went back and pulled out my old Wenger Backpacker Swiss Army knife from when I was a kid that's gotta be 35 yrs old.

My question is... why would you carry a knife on you during everyday life? I work in an office, and really see no reason for me to carry it, but was wondering what you all do to want/need to carry one.

I work in a warehouse.
I was taught at a young age that every man should have a knife in his pocket.
In this case i mostly carry a Leatherman.
It has pliers, screwdriver, bottle opener/carabiner on it. All of which have come in handy at some point or another in all kinds of situations.

My question to you is why wouldnt you have some kind of knife in your pocket? It is a great tool.
#3 LIAR
cowboy45

PostPosted: Thu May 10 12 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinovr wrote:

Why would you not carry one everyday? Open letters, packages etc.
I usually carry 2 and a Micro Leatherman.
tinovr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 10 12 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in the city, where the only reason to carry a knife was "trouble". I've just never really been in a situation where I say to myself, "hrmm... wish I had a pocketknife with me to do ____".

Most of the mail I get now is e-mail, and I rarely get a package. I have a letter opener at my desk. Most cans (soup cans for lunch) have pull tops now. I don't have the kind of job where a Leatherman would come in handy.

I'll carry my old Wenger around, and maybe I'll ask for a nice Leatherman for a gift...
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu May 10 12 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinovr wrote:
I grew up in the city, where the only reason to carry a knife was "trouble". I've just never really been in a situation where I say to myself, "hrmm... wish I had a pocketknife with me to do ____".

Most of the mail I get now is e-mail, and I rarely get a package. I have a letter opener at my desk. Most cans (soup cans for lunch) have pull tops now. I don't have the kind of job where a Leatherman would come in handy.

I'll carry my old Wenger around, and maybe I'll ask for a nice Leatherman for a gift...

You ever get hungry and just want to buy a hunk of cheese, meat, and an apple?
I do. When i am out riding my motorcycle. 2 of those 3 things need to be cut up(i have some expensive dental work so the conventional way for me to eat an apple is in slices).
I use the pliers to pick nasty chit up off the sidewalk that people leave around my building. And well the bottle opener is self explanatory. I have also had the battery cables rattle loose on my motorcycle and the only to get to the wires is using a screwdriver.
Hell some of the people who work above me in the building come down to see me because they need a knife and they know i have one.
I am not picking on you just trying to explain why and how. Plus i was in Boy Scouts and we all know what that motto is... Laughing
#3 LIAR
cowboy45

PostPosted: Thu May 10 12 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinovr wrote:

There is nothing like having a nice pocket knife that you have been carrying for years. It feels as comfortable as an old pair of shoes. It doesn't have to be large or small. If you work in an environment that it not condusive to a large one, buy yourself a gentlemans knife. Small, mother of pearl, engraved, etc. Not all of the afoementioned. (sic)

Carry something that you can use and be proud of. Cool
DesertPits
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 10 12 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This knife is similar to tanglediver's one in his box. I bought this about 1960 +/- at the local hardware store when I was 12-14 years old. It says ORIGINAL BOWIE KNIFE on the blade but no ID of where made. If I remember right we used to test the balance of a knife by using your finger where the blade meets the handle.

Mike
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 10 12 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinovr, I would guess I use my knife 10 times daily, at least.
From sharpening a pencil to getting a sliver out, it see's alot of use.
I believe some of the small swiss army knives have flash lights, pens, and other items attatched you may find useful.
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 11 12 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 12 12 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinovr wrote:

I work in a kitchen, lots of boxes to open. I also do a lot of remodel work around my house and yard. Great for opening bags of potting soil, cutting open bundles of what ever etc..

Need to open one of those plastic cases they package things in? You know the ones that you have to have scissors or the like.... I find it easier to reach in my pocket than to search for the scissors.

Also handy for the snack like OS said. My dad always used his to open those stubborn bags of chips.

I had a small key chain type Swiss Army that had a blade, scissors, tweezers and a toothpick. If nothing else, always having the toothpick was great.

Do I use it everyday? Probably not, but once you are used to having it. it sucks to be without.
tinovr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 13 12 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny... but I was at a kids b-day party last night... someone asks for a bottle opener.. yep.. I had the Wegner Backpacker in the pocket and came to the rescue...

so yes... now that I carry it, I'll probably notice a lot more uses for it... we'll see..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: