FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help wanted, pros and cons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbqmn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18 12 5:36 pm    Post subject: Help wanted, pros and cons Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19-500-BTU-292-SQIN-Traeger-Smoker-Design-Wood-Pellet-Grill-Junior-10-LB-Hopper-/180806924732?
NAVET
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18 12 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traeger is a good brand and I've not heard bad things about them. But we need to know more. Are you looking for a "Ronco-set it and for get it" smoker? How many people will you smoke for?
I, to my knowledge, have never had smoked meat off a pellet smoker so I am not sure if there is a flavor difference or not.

Competitive BBQ; The only sport where a fat, bald man can be looked upon as a hero.
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18 12 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard bbqmn.
I don't have a Traeger. I have a FEC-100.
FEC's used the Traeger controls for a while and then went to their own design called the IQ4.
This may or may not apply to that one, but Traegers were prone to consistent pellet jams and fires in the chute and auger.
The best advice is, keep it clean and keep it level.
I've had one grease fire in mine. That was due to 8 butterfly cut chickens. It wasn't level and didn't drain the grease well.
The smoke is a medium flavor. So if you want a strong smoke flavor the either add an Amazen Pellet Smoker or get a stick burner.
I would guess that you will use 1# of pellets per hour, depending on temps.
I love my FEC and I value my sleep. Ain't nothing like "Set and Forget" Wink

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Debian Dog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07 12 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if you pulled the trigger but I would avoid that brand and that size. I ended up not going with a pellet grill but I did tons or research on them.

You want at bigger hopper than that. At least 20 lbs and I would go with Fast Eddys, MAK, Memphis Grills, or a Yoder before that brand. It is $400 for a reason Mad
Smokin-it Model #3 (new)
Masterbuilt Smoker (retired)
zski
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07 12 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely love my Traeger. Things that it cooks really well are ribs (almost perfectly), pizzas, fatties, and moinkballs. Things that it cooks decently (Smokeyness wise) are butts, brisket, chuck roast, tri tips. Things it cooks ok are pork chops, boneless, skinless chicken, steaks.

With that being said, I wouldn't buy a newer model. To me they are made pretty cheap. Mine is about 8 years old, made in America with a thicker metal. The newer ones are made in China.

I love the set it and forget it concept. Being a father of 4 active kids and one due any day now, I am too busy to have to worry about tending a fire. Yea, I sacrafice some smokeyness, but it is ideal for me.

If something ever happened to mine I would either have my friend build me a pellet smoker ( he is working on his 2nd one) or buy a MAK.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions let me know.

Traeger 075
Phaedrus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09 12 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought that same exact model- it arrived today, in fact. I haven't had a chance to put it together yet so I can't comment on the unit per se, but I will point one thing out- it's cheaper direct from Traeger. Factory direct I paid $399 and got free shipping. Also, until the first of December Traeger is doing a 3-pay promotion. They bill you in three monthly installments with no interest or finance charges. This made the Jr. a no-brainer.

Now maybe I'm wrong and this thing's a dud but I did a ton of research before buying and talked to several owners of the current Chinese-made Traegers. I heard not one word of complaint from any of them.

I will of course update this once I get it set up and cook on it a few times.
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09 12 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traegers are great for backyard cooking.

Although I have never owned one (I also own a FEC-100) I have known several guys that do own one and seem (so they say) to really like them.

You might need to throw an insulated blanket over it during the winter cooks but other than that...good to go. Wink

Anxious to see some pics of it and your cooks.
ocbbqman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17 12 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say for winter cooking insulation is the key. I live in Southern California, and last winter was the coldest we have had by far. We were below freezing every night. I found that during the winter without insulation, you will burn more wood then you could imagine.

I went to Home Depot and picked of the insulation they use for Water heaters, and wrapped it around the top of the unit. This helped keep the heat in, and allowed for slower pellet consumption.

During the summer, it uses hardly any. I personally enjoy the taste the traeger gives on pizza, pulled pork, brisket, rib, chicken, cookies, lasagna, and everything else I cook on it. I have not used my stove in about 8 months. but my shop vac is emptied every month from cleaning it.

Find a good deal on pellets and stock up, you will addicted to it. The 10lb hopper will not let you run all night without refilling it, so if you do a low and slow, make sure you set your alarm.
T asty
A nimals
RollinontheRvr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17 12 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also look at the Green Mountain grill. My bro-in-law bought one and he loves it. I even takes it with him when he and his wife get together with there off road/sand dune groups for a week long camping trip in the dunes down at the coast. He cooks on it almost every night.

Four years active duty Infantry - '81 -'85

My Local Dive Shop: Oregon City Scuba
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: